Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £115m

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Friendly, welcoming people with more than their fair share of eccentrics. Big nightlife/student culture, incredibly left leaning. A lot of it just down to the vibe I got though I guess which is hard to pin down.

Large chunks of the south are basically London-lite but without any real personality and I see Brighton as a lot closer to Liverpool than a lot of other Northern towns or cities. Obviously I haven’t visited everywhere but it’s one of the places I’ve felt most “at home”
That’s really interesting. I would say that about Newcastle or Manchester or Birmingham or Leeds or, say Dublin, in terms of friendly, welcoming people, but not Liverpool (or probably London!).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not at all. don’t like the atmosphere of the place, been there several times and enough times to form an opinion. Don’t like their whole anti-England stance, always the victims whatever the situation. They were not the only region neglected in the past, but the one that constantly looks back instead of looking forwards. You have a different opinion formed from different experiences I guess, fair enough, you are entitled to disagree but it doesn’t make your opinion any more or less valid than mine.

Edit - I did enjoy the Beatles tour and Formby. Plus the history of Birkenhead is interesting. That was about it.
Oh, I thought you were joking ! Well, I wouldn’t live anywhere else. Don’t believe the stereotypes and don’t go on the Beatles tour (oops, too late on that one).

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Not at all. don’t like the atmosphere of the place, been there several times and enough times to form an opinion. Don’t like their whole anti-England stance, always the victims whatever the situation. They were not the only region neglected in the past, but the one that constantly looks back instead of looking forwards. You have a different opinion formed from different experiences I guess, fair enough, you are entitled to disagree but it doesn’t make your opinion any more or less valid than mine.

Edit - I did enjoy the Beatles tour and Formby. Plus the history of Birkenhead is interesting. That was about it.
I’ve lived in Liverpool for 30 years. It’s a fantastic city with a bright future. Completely reinvented itself, massive cruise ships regularly dock on the Mersey. L1 completely rebuilt in 2010, whilst keeping a wealth or stunning architecture, two cathedrals, free museums and several galleries. New restaurants galore and vibrant night life. Massive Echo Arena, hosting events like Eurovision. Even through the harder times, the city’s community spirit and humour shone through. My opinion of course.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Fair enough.

You’re free to keep peddling the same shit banter from decades ago which is on the same level as Brighton gay jokes, and I’m free to think it makes you look like a classless idiot. Different strokes, and all that.
Ah, I see. Resort to an insult because you don’t agree with me. Got it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Friendly, welcoming people with more than their fair share of eccentrics. Big nightlife/student culture, incredibly left leaning. A lot of it just down to the vibe I got though I guess which is hard to pin down.

Large chunks of the south are basically London-lite but without any real personality and I see Brighton as a lot closer to Liverpool than a lot of other Northern towns or cities. Obviously I haven’t visited everywhere but it’s one of the places I’ve felt most “at home”
That vibe you are talking about is probably alcohol ! It’s a bit of a party city. FWIW I don’t think it’s much like Brighton. More of an edge but the friendliness thing is real. Many people you meet here have lived here all their lives as have generations of their family.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Ah, I see. Resort to an insult because you don’t agree with me. Got it.
You don't exactly strengthen your position when using the 'always the victim' comment ... which has so many connotations ... especially Hillsborough!

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 19.47.22.png

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, I’m with you on all that. It is a great City, love going there. The people are a lot friendlier than us Southeners too, always a good laugh
Funny, my wife's a northerner and genuinely thinks Brighton/sussex is the friendliest place she's ever lived for a few reasons. Personally, I think most people in most places are friendly having lived all over. Don't for one second believe the north/south divide re friendliness

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
You don't exactly strengthen your position when using the 'always the victim' comment ... which has so many connotations ... especially Hillsborough!

View attachment 164846
No, fair enough, but the first tragedy chant I ever heard was about Munich 58. All such tragedies, be they Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel, Bradford do not deserve to be the subject of football chants.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
No, fair enough, but the first tragedy chant I ever heard was about Munich 58. All such tragedies, be they Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel, Bradford do not deserve to be the subject of football chants.
I totally agree with all that ... all such chants should be condemned. Which is why the likes of 'always the victims' should have no place on NSC ... or anywhere (y)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’ve lived in Liverpool for 30 years. It’s a fantastic city with a bright future. Completely reinvented itself, massive cruise ships regularly dock on the Mersey. L1 completely rebuilt in 2010, whilst keeping a wealth or stunning architecture, two cathedrals, free museums and several galleries. New restaurants galore and vibrant night life. Massive Echo Arena, hosting events like Eurovision. Even through the harder times, the city’s community spirit and humour shone through. My opinion of course.
It is an absolutely beautiful town centre, especially after the L1 redevelopment. It’s actually quite posh, loads of high end stores and mod-cons to go with the history and beautiful architecture.

And it is an absolutely incredible night out, had some of my best nights ever in Liverpool.

Slight caveat though, much like NYC, if you go a few “blocks” into the wrong neighbourhood things go downhill fast. The old joke stereotype about Scousers nicking hubcaps? I saw it first hand. In broad daylight outside of a boarded up takeaway, brazen as you like. This is just ten minutes walk from the town centre, never mind places like Toxteth…

There is sadly a bit of a scally culture still in Liverpool, but for the most part the people are the most polite and welcoming I’ve experienced in any major UK city.

Love Liverpool, but it isn’t perfect.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That’s really interesting. I would say that about Newcastle or Manchester or Birmingham or Leeds or, say Dublin, in terms of friendly, welcoming people, but not Liverpool (or probably London!).
In my experience, Liverpool's one of the friendliest places I've been to.
Lovely people, lovely vibe.
One of the pubs let me briefly borrow their Gibson guitar for no other reason than "so I can say I've played one".
To provide some context to this judgement, on my only visit to Stoke for the FA game last year, a complete stranger (and Stoke fan) who I got chatting to in a pub that evening offered to give me a lift to the ground about 20minutes after I met him.
Wouldn't say Liverpool's much like Brighton though. Bristol has a vaguely similar feel.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
It is an absolutely beautiful town centre, especially after the L1 redevelopment. It’s actually quite posh, loads of high end stores and mod-cons to go with the history and beautiful architecture.

And it is an absolutely incredible night out, had some of my best nights ever in Liverpool.

Slight caveat though, much like NYC, if you go a few “blocks” into the wrong neighbourhood things go downhill fast. The old joke stereotype about Scousers nicking hubcaps? I saw it first hand. In broad daylight outside of a boarded up takeaway, brazen as you like. This is just ten minutes walk from the town centre, never mind places like Toxteth…

There is sadly a bit of a scally culture still in Liverpool, but for the most part the people are the most polite and welcoming I’ve experienced in any major UK city.

Love Liverpool, but it isn’t perfect.
Nicking hubcaps isn’t just a Liverpool scally thing. I saw a cctv clip a few days ago on Shoreham Beach. A chap driving a van did a u turn after seeing an identical make van parked. He stopped opposite it and proceeded to take all 4 hubcaps!! Cheap plastic things they were which wouldn’t have cost much at Halfords!! Unbelievable!!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If we’re on the subject of City centres, Birmingham is great, as is Leeds. Both have upmarket shopping, great restaurants and bars. The surrounding areas not so good though.
Birmingham's a massively underrated place (I can understand why someone who gets the train to New Street and goes straight to Villa Park and back again might not see it that way).
Work in Leeds quite a lot - not keen, too generic and built up. Not as impressive as Manchester but not as homely as Sheffield.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham's a massively underrated place (I can understand why someone who gets the train to New Street and goes straight to Villa Park and back again might not see it that way).
Work in Leeds quite a lot - not keen, too generic and built up. Not as impressive as Manchester but not as homely as Sheffield.
Yes, agree with Manchester around the Town Hall area. Great nights out, love their China Town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here