Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

11:43 Bedford to Brighton FCC train overshot Preston Park Station this morning.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
OK fire away, name and shame

Daily commute to London. Train is at least 5 mins late per day. Rarely on time. When you complain about anything to staff they pass the buck, not their problem etc. no apologies when trains run late, a simple sorry is not hard to do.

Delay repay a shambles. Still waiting for refunds from June. Trains are not comfortable. Seats are worse than the slam doors. Air con is on despite it being a cold morning. They run 10 coach gatwick express trains with around 10% usages, yet only 8 car trains on other services that are terribly overcrowded.

Controllers that don't think. So many times a stopping FCC train is allowed to leave before an express which gets stuck behind it.

Southern have had a chance and are failing, check out train time reliability charts. Says it all. Time to get rid I say.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Daily commute to London. Train is at least 5 mins late per day. Rarely on time. When you complain about anything to staff they pass the buck, not their problem etc. no apologies when trains run late, a simple sorry is not hard to do.

Delay repay a shambles. Still waiting for refunds from June. Trains are not comfortable. Seats are worse than the slam doors. Air con is on despite it being a cold morning. They run 10 coach gatwick express trains with around 10% usages, yet only 8 car trains on other services that are terribly overcrowded.

Controllers that don't think. So many times a stopping FCC train is allowed to leave before an express which gets stuck behind it.

Southern have had a chance and are failing, check out train time reliability charts. Says it all. Time to get rid I say.

Mine runs on time most days so you must be somewhat unlucky. Why not get the 10 car Gatwick Expresses that start from Brighton ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Just out of interest what train do you catch each morning and evening?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
0649 from West Worthing to London Bridge. Seldom on time. Coming back is equally poor. Mornings do seem to be worse though.

Will be interesting to monitor this service over the next week or so and, if and when delays happen, it will be equally interesting to note how much Southern can be blamed-or is it signalling (Network Rail), congestion, broken down trains (either Southern or FCC), engineering works (Network Rail) etc. Not that that should be your concern as a commuter but I strongly suspect it makes little difference who runs the train company and it's all about infrastructure.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
0649 from West Worthing to London Bridge. Seldom on time. Coming back is equally poor. Mornings do seem to be worse though.

Well I catch the same train from Shoreham and neigh on always on time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'd like to know how the FCC train that's due at Preston Park at 0706 manages to arrive two minutes late as often than not. I mean, it's only had to go half a mile down the track by that point.

Almost certainly, if that is the case, timetabling issues meaning the FCC has to wait to leave Brighton or wait at the signal before Preston Park whilst another train crosses towards Hove. There are a few trains it's almost impossible to keep on time due to these timetabling conflicts.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd like to know how the FCC train that's due at Preston Park at 0706 manages to arrive two minutes late as often than not. I mean, it's only had to go half a mile down the track by that point.

I'd like to know who manages the work of fiction that is the FCC timetable. They are a disgrace.

Their only decent rolling stock is the stock they lease from Southern.

And get this. They are bidding for the Southern franchise so they can run the whole line. Yes, those total jokers want to run every service across the southern network.

And they are very close to government due to the work they are doing on the improvement to Thameslink services (even though they actually have sod all to do with changing the infrastructure) and the result is they are in with a fairly good chance.

If you want to avoid your rail service being run by a company that treats its passengers like cattle and runs a web of misinformation and poor operations then I suggest you write to your MP now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd like to know who manages the work of fiction that is the FCC timetable. They are a disgrace.

Their only decent rolling stock is the stock they lease from Southern.

And get this. They are bidding for the Southern franchise so they can run the whole line. Yes, those total jokers want to run every service across the southern network.

And they are very close to government due to the work they are doing on the improvement to Thameslink services (even though they actually have sod all to do with changing the infrastructure) and the result is they are in with a fairly good chance.

If you want to avoid your rail service being run by a company that treats its passengers like cattle and runs a web of misinformation and poor operations then I suggest you write to your MP now.

FCC win hands down against the competition on only two fronts so far as I can see:

1. When the really bad snow comes, they are Last Train Standing. Gatwick Express always surrender with the first few flakes, closely followed by Southern. The little tin boxes of FCC, bless 'em, so rubbish during normal weather conditions, continue to trundle up and down the line in their own time, sparking and flashing like a dodgy Xmas tree when all other trains have long since called it a day.

2. Toilets. Loads of them on FCC. Proper decent sized ones with door handles and everything. Not the tiny wee broom cupboards they have on the Gatwick Express or the Tardis-like contraptions they have on Southern where every Japanese tourist that gets on at Gatwick mistakes the emergency stop button for the flush button, or the East/West Coast line trains where they've solved that particular problem by doing away with toilets completely.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
FCC win hands down against the competition on only two fronts so far as I can see:

1. When the really bad snow comes, they are Last Train Standing. Gatwick Express always surrender with the first few flakes, closely followed by Southern. The little tin boxes of FCC, bless 'em, so rubbish during normal weather conditions, continue to trundle up and down the line in their own time, sparking and flashing like a dodgy Xmas tree when all other trains have long since called it a day.

2. Toilets. Loads of them on FCC. Proper decent sized ones with door handles and everything. Not the tiny wee broom cupboards they have on the Gatwick Express or the Tardis-like contraptions they have on Southern where every Japanese tourist that gets on at Gatwick mistakes the emergency stop button for the flush button, or the East/West Coast line trains where they've solved that particular problem by doing away with toilets completely.

And when it snows I don't want them to run! I wanna go and play.

So they win on one count. They have some bogs open.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013

All so true!! :D

How many people on southern trains have not pressed the lock button and the door has slid open mid flow? I've witnessed plenty of these awkward moments.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Looks like the 06.49 from West Worthing was today on time all the way to East Croydon where it departed a couple of mins late and arrived into London Bridge around a minute late so nothing too terrible.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

You're unhappy now - we've not got into the bad period of the year yet, that's just coming up !

I've had no problems with the delay repay - although they pay back the absolute minimum they can get away with - the last lot arrived within 2 weeks, and I don't think I have any outstanding at the mo.

You say you want to end their franchise - won't happen, but if it did, a few senior managers would change, but nothing else would. The trains would stay the same, the schedules wouldn't change, so you wouldn't get any improvement that you're after. Most of the problems I encounter on the 6:22 Shoreham/Lb trains are not down to Southern anyway, they're in the infrastructure - frozen points, broken signals, etc.

Far be it for me to stick up for Southern, but the on-train staff are generally pretty good these days - when my friend passed out on the morning train recently, the woman guard was super.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
All so true!! :D

How many people on southern trains have not pressed the lock button and the door has slid open mid flow? I've witnessed plenty of these awkward moments.

Hah! So you're the phantom toilet lurker?

The railway police have been after you for quite some time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Looks like the 06.49 from West Worthing was today on time all the way to East Croydon where it departed a couple of mins late and arrived into London Bridge around a minute late so nothing too terrible.

I'm sorry, I get that train 3 times a week, and its very rarely late. Maybe by a minute or so, but that doesn't bother me. 10+ mins and thats annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here