Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] 10PM pub closing. what will people do ?

what will people do ?

• Drink less

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • go out earlier

Votes: 85 73.3%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still want to see "league tables" how many people a day are dying from cancer, drinking, obesity etc. when we hear numbers of people dying we have no context.

A quick google search says:

In 2019, there were 496,354 deaths registered in England, a decrease of 9,505 deaths compared with 2018 and the lowest number registered since 2016.

so thats 1359.87 a day on average.

So the numbers of Covid deaths are very low especially as they are also often in tangent to underlying issues.

This is why I am confused that we haven't taken as drastic measures on other killers - ie limit alcohol consumption (maybe by making it very expensive or no multipacks, offers etc) ban smoking, ban junk food, speed limiters on vehicles, whatever to stop so many people dying every single day.

However if people are dying because they are old or have underlying issues is that not also life? Call me evil but we all cant live forever.

Humans on the whole are greedy selfish individuals and you wont force someone to put themselves out for the good of others - thats why we over consume while the forests burn and the icecaps melt.

Is this a rant? getting that way - messy disjointed argument of a madman - I might run for office.....

The excess deaths figure provides context, and imho a better estimate, as to the impact of Covid 19.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
And I see in Scotland you can't go and visit your neighbours for a meal or a drink or a chat, but hey ho, you can wander up the road and meet your neighbours in the pub for a drink and a meal at the same table (assuming there is no more than 6 of you) - what's the difference?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If the pubs can only do table service then they won't be packed!!

Exactly. No table. No entry. Just as it is already.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
I do like the new bridge. And, the pedestrian area around the Church is lovely.

Will they let me through without tar and feathering me now?

I don’t know about Shoreham but you’re not welcome to my city until you have a comprehensive plan for curing cancer. Frankly, you’re rather uninteresting unless it rivals what the experts are doing. It’s all we talk about in our offices.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, today's figures, 3,899 more cases, 37 more deaths and 181 now in critical or serious condition (up from 138).

And you still get people moaning that they can't have a drink in a pub after 10!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So, today's figures, 3,899 more cases, 37 more deaths and 181 now in critical or serious condition (up from 138).

And you still get people moaning that they can't have a drink in a pub after 10!

4,926 new cases according to Sky news.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

And people still moaning about having to wear a mask. This country is full of woke snowflakes

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
And I see in Scotland you can't go and visit your neighbours for a meal or a drink or a chat, but hey ho, you can wander up the road and meet your neighbours in the pub for a drink and a meal at the same table (assuming there is no more than 6 of you) - what's the difference?

I'm not sure thats correct. The rule of 6 in Scotland is same household only, as opposed to England which is any household.

Unless it's changed today, in which case I stand corrected.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure thats correct. The rule of 6 in Scotland is same household only, as opposed to England which is any household.

Unless it's changed today, in which case I stand corrected.

Yeah, Scotland have changed. As of tomorrow people across the entire country can not visit other households, nor host others in theirs. They can still meet outside in groups of up to six.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And people still moaning about having to wear a mask. This country is full of woke snowflakes

...........and people are still wandering round Asda, Tesco, etc. without masks (with even more stupid tw@ts 'wearing' masks under their chin). Time it was an enforced case of no mask, no entry, no exception (except if you've got no ears to hang it on).
If you really can't wear a mask, then same rules as for people in quarantine (or people shielding); get someone else to do your shopping or have it delivered.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
...........and people are still wandering round Asda, Tesco, etc. without masks (with even more stupid tw@ts 'wearing' masks under their chin). Time it was an enforced case of no mask, no entry, no exception (except if you've got no ears to hang it on).
If you really can't wear a mask, then same rules as for people in quarantine (or people shielding); get someone else to do your shopping or have it delivered.

Needs the police to start wandering around supermarkets handing out £200 fines. People will soon get the message.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not in a pub - but looking outside into a Leeds pub when Liverpool played Leeds it was ridiculous. Not getting at Leeds - it is where I live.

I was talking to my mate earlier, he lives in Oakwood, he said the pubs in the city are absolutely heaving when the Leeds games are on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
People who voted for Johnston should surely adhere to his edicts and exhort the rest of us to do so.
The rest of us should do what we need to do to shield both ourselves and others from harm, whilst doing everything we can to remove this idiot from office.

That’s not how democracy works. It is possible to vote for a party but not agree with everything they do. The many people who voted for Tony Blair but subsequently disagreed with the Iraq war will be able to confirm.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I still want to see "league tables" how many people a day are dying from cancer, drinking, obesity etc. when we hear numbers of people dying we have no context.

A quick google search says:

In 2019, there were 496,354 deaths registered in England, a decrease of 9,505 deaths compared with 2018 and the lowest number registered since 2016.

so thats 1359.87 a day on average.

So the numbers of Covid deaths are very low especially as they are also often in tangent to underlying issues.

This is why I am confused that we haven't taken as drastic measures on other killers - ie limit alcohol consumption (maybe by making it very expensive or no multipacks, offers etc) ban smoking, ban junk food, speed limiters on vehicles, whatever to stop so many people dying every single day.

However if people are dying because they are old or have underlying issues is that not also life? Call me evil but we all cant live forever.

Humans on the whole are greedy selfish individuals and you wont force someone to put themselves out for the good of others - thats why we over consume while the forests burn and the icecaps melt.

Is this a rant? getting that way - messy disjointed argument of a madman - I might run for office.....

Cancer, drinking and obesity are not infectious diseases so cannot be prevented with social distancing type measures.
Covid is an infectious disease so can be prevented with social distancing type measures.

That’s the reason the context you mention is actually irrelevant.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Cancer, drinking and obesity are not infectious diseases so cannot be prevented with social distancing type measures.
Covid is an infectious disease so can be prevented with social distancing type measures.

That’s the reason the context you mention is actually irrelevant.

True and I accept that but several of the things I mention do affect others - binge drinking etc cost millions in antisocial behaviour, damage, A&E admissions etc, traffic accidents cause delays, insurance costs etc, I hate to look at fatties - ruins my day.

But what I was getting at was we can reduce deaths in this country if we really wanted to and it was enforced better - not saying its a good thing by the way as we should have a degree of freedom but I will drive home but my car doesn't need to be able to go 140mph and I want a pint tonight (but don't need 5)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here