Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £100m January Warchest

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think or perhaps hope that the transfer 'surplus' won't change the profile of the sort of players we want to sign but it might mean we are more likely to get the recruitment teams 1st choice rather than someone lower down their list. Strikers wise for example had we been a bit cash richer previously could we have taken Darwin Nunez from Almeria over Benfica? We clearly wanted him and our club could see his potential as we tried several times even after he signed for Benfica? We will never know but a 20m+ huge potential striker might have just become more likely than a £6m punt on someone like say Sima who may make it but where it is much more difficult to asses their true potential.

We want be going all in on Harry Kane anytime soon....

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
What difference does the world cup actually make to a players price?

Take Caicedo for example. It's often said that if he has a good world cup we'll be inundated with bids for him. He plays in the premier league, every club already knows about him. What will playing well against Qatar tell the clubs who can afford him that they didn't already know? Why will it increase the price?

In the dim and distant past, did we not sign a couple of Peruvian players after a 'good World Cup' ?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
In the dim and distant past, did we not sign a couple of Peruvian players after a 'good World Cup' ?

It has and always will. David Platt made a fortune on the back of 1990 WC as just one example. Players are pitting themselves against the best in the world representing their relative countries. If you can do it against Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Germany presumably your going to tare it up doing it against UTD, Liverpool, City etc.:albion2:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When RDZ signed surely he was told / given a budget. He must want to put his own stamp on the squad and bring in some players of his own choice / style.

.... and perhaps he was told there wasn't one? He was out of work, unemployed, and being offered ...........what? £2M a year? £2M a year, but no war chest - take it or leave it. What would you choose?

Of course there will be players coming and going - there's been rumours of our interest in one Shaktar Donetsk player already - Mudryk?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
.... and perhaps he was told there wasn't one? He was out of work, unemployed, and being offered ...........what? £2M a year? £2M a year, but no war chest - take it or leave it. What would you choose?

Of course there will be players coming and going - there's been rumours of our interest in one Shaktar Donetsk player already - Mudryk?

Not at the prices I've seen quoted. Bidding is expected to start at £50m but go much higher..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not at the prices I've seen quoted. Bidding is expected to start at £50m but go much higher..

I suppose that with our recent sales we could potentially afford that - but TBH, I'd rather we didn't! It wouldn't feel right somehow.

I seem to remember a bid (bids) of around £20M - £25M being turned down. Maybe with the RdZ connection we could have swung something at that sort of level, but not if it's £50M.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
p.s. It's lucky for Palace fans that their club ring fenced the money for their amazing new stand.
I agree with your sentiment, but can't let it slide - their 'ring fenced' stand was shit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with your sentiment, but can't let it slide - their 'ring fenced' stand was shit.

Does anyone other than Palace fans actually believe they have any money ring fenced for a stand?

I think they spent it on cladding

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

I totally hear what you're saying but don't you think in the interview he would have put his ideas on the table with a potential wish list and not just come in to be a good puppy dog.
We're a progressive club and need people at the top with progressive ideas.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I totally hear what you're saying but don't you think in the interview he would have put his ideas on the table with a potential wish list and not just come in to be a good puppy dog.
We're a progressive club and need people at the top with progressive ideas.

....and progressive ideas include, 'Yes, we don't have a huge war chest, and we're not going to go out and buy whoever you want'. If RdZ hadn't agreed that buying young players and developing them was the way ahead, rather than just splashing £millions on the finished article, do you believe for one minute that he'd have got the gig?

Mudryk for £20M - £25M maybe OK. Mudryk or £50M? Work with what you've got!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
....and progressive ideas include, 'Yes, we don't have a huge war chest, and we're not going to go out and buy whoever you want'. If RdZ hadn't agreed that buying young players and developing them was the way ahead, rather than just splashing £millions on the finished article, do you believe for one minute that he'd have got the gig?

Mudryk for £20M - £25M maybe OK. Mudryk or £50M? Work with what you've got!

yes but the post you quoted merely mentioned 'a budget', not £50M, which came from elsewhere. there's a fairly large middle ground between abandoning the strategy and signing players a la nottingham forest and only signing young prospects and not having a budget for the first team

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
From the press conference introducing the new head coach

Q: Tony, any likely change to your reluctance to do business in January?

A: I don’t think it’s going to change at all. It doesn’t mean that we don’t do things in January and with Roberto coming in, as we have talked about, there are similarities with the way Graham does things. Yes, there is a possibility over the course of the next few months that Roberto will want a certain type of player and that will be an ongoing discussion between now and January but I don’t foresee too many changes on that front.

I think people read too much into these sorts of statements. Of course he’s going to play down his interest in buying anyone as the first rule of negotiating is not to seem too keen. But he literally says something like this before every window (summer and Jan) and yet we still buy players…

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I hate to disappoint you, but if bigger clubs sniff around our best players, we'll never tell them to "do one" unless they offer laughably low fees. The whole financial model involves enticing quality, undervalued players here with the promise that we won't stand in their way if the right offer is received. See White, Bissouma and Cucurella for details.

Just be thankful that our best players can only be cherry-picked by a handful of clubs these days. We have progressed so far in the Amex years that historically much bigger clubs than ourselves like Villa, Leeds and Everton simply have no chance of picking up our best players for a song. They only get the players who don't fit in here anymore.

I get that, but the timing has to be right for us to ensure it doesn’t rip the heart out of the team. Our succession planning is well documented but having only just established Caicedo as Bissouma’s replacement, do we have any successors in place if we let Caicedo and / or MacAllister go in January ? I would expect us to at least say no in January with a promise that a summer move is more acceptable, giving us time to identify suitable successors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here