Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

100% honest question

TottonSFC

Oct 19, 2011
SFC fan in peace. Do you enjoy the football you play? From the statistics I've seen you don't seem to create too many chances, yet you have your fair share of possession.

Do you feel you like a creative spark (perhaps Vicente could be that when he's settled) or do you rely on patient build up that doesn't work as often against Championship defences?

Cue abuse calling me a WUM/Arrogant Saints fan but I have nothing against Brighton, on the contrary I actually quite like them.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
It's a work in progress. Poyet is developing a Championship team. It's a pleasure to watch but by no means the finished article

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I genuinely prefer it to the hoofball of yesteryear. Having said that, it's a really laboured, ponderously slow build-up, one that invariably breaks down round about the centre circle.

To be honest, I'd prefer there was A Third Way for this particular division. A Plan B if you like.

At this level, it just gives too many opposition teams an easy day at the office.

Last edited:

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Yes of course but the step up to the championship is rather big and we require some better players before it starts to work as well as it did in league 1.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Bloody love it, and it'll only become more effective as Gus finds the right formula/brings in the players we need to make things click. (As per last season)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I like the way we play and am pleased that Gus is persisting with it.

We actually started the season looking very decent at times. Patient but aggressive enough to get results.

Trouble is recently we've not been able to maintain the high tempo and things haven't gone our way, but we've not suddenly become a bad side. I'm surprised we've not scored more goals, given the players in the team, but I think we'll come good again.

The West Ham result was a bit of a freak and really we should be unbeaten in four. Things are slowly turning round and it won't be long before everything clicks back into place and we take somebody apart again, like we did at Cardiff.

Vicente is an EXCELLENT player and will unlock defences when he's fit. We just need to be a bit more lucky with injuries and settle on a midfield combination that keeps the ball AND creates chances.

There are sections of the crowd who've got on Gus/the team's back, frustrated by our possession football not delivering enough in the final third, but I think most of us are sensible enough to see Gus knows what he is doing and we are moving in the right direction. Our two new loan signings have helped shore up things at the back so it's just that creative spark we're missing now, and we do have the players capable or providing that so I'm confident things are on the turn and dare I say it, come our game at St Mary's we may very well come away smiling.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Its great to watch, very pleasing to be constantly impressed by playing through teams and to be honest, making fools of some of our opponents. We just got hit by a fixture pile up with Liverpool-Leeds-Palace in 5 days, then the defeat Palace knocked us and our defence started leaking. We've now sorted that and we're in a better place now, a few wins and we're back pushing the top 6. But to answer your question, YES.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Definitely, possession football is undoubtedly the way forward. Just really enjoy it. I truly believe chances will come and we are capable going on a decent run.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
To be honest, I'd prefer there was A Third Way for this particular division. A Plan B if you like.

There is. Step 1. Get into the Premiership. Step 2. Get relegated. Step 3. Have the ability to play both, using the legacy players who don't have relegation clauses and whatever you buy with the parachute payments.

The trick is pulling off step 1.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
poo my pants a lot when they pass it around at the back but very entertaining especially when they pick the pace up

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We've been in this division before playing kick and rush football and it's allways resulted in relegation despite the odd good result, The style we play now will bring success if fans are patient and give Gus the time to build what he's building. Do I like it then YES!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I enjoy it when we do it well (i.e. with precision & throughout the entire team), but it gets frustrating when we don't do it very well &/or get thwarted by clued-up sides. For me, to be successful playing a patient passing game is all about the ability of the players to do it consistently well. We have some capable of doing it every game, but time will tell if the others are.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
BHA play some lovely football but Poyet needs to change his style of play to suit the opposition....which he refuses to do. This will be his downfall. He has no plan B and is getting sussed out every game now. Poyet has got to mix things up a bit...but he would rather walk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here