Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 Years of Solly

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
March has and continues to be a great servant of the club much underrated on here, but consistently in the plans of manager after manager asked to play in defence midfield or attack he always puts a shift in, and long may that remain

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He is a great servant to the club. I wish he would commit defenders more often and go past them (on either side) instead of stopping and passing back. Is that a lack of confidence or is he following instructions?

Possibly following instructions to an extent, but for as long as l have been watching Solly, he both looks like and plays like a schoolboy, lacking the confidence and not being entirely sure that he has the ability ot beat the bigger boys with the ball.

Maybe that's a tad harsh, as on his day he has the beating of almost anyone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm rather annoyed he's lost his place. I thought Cucurella was signed to be a better-defending version of March, but I've been very underwhelmed by Cucu's defending so far and feel we've lost something on the attacking side. March would be the perfect left side complement to Lamptey, but they're rarely on the pitch together.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Still remember those Birmingham games.

The home one where he gave Johnathan Grounds an absolute nightmare, and I’m pretty sure he was subbed before half time.

And the away game a few seasons later when he came on and turned the entire game around to win 2-1.

Really good player. I didn’t think he was up to premier league standard 4 years ago but he’s definitely proved me wrong.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He has played at his upper level more consistently under Potter I think, whether that is coming of age, being given more freedom to attack, or Potters coaching, is not something I have a strong opinion on, but he is "better" under Potter.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Love Solly but he frustrates the hell out of me.

Solly you’re good, believe it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whe he came on yesterday his attitude was fantastic………although the resulting free kick was properly ****ed up, his run across the pitch that won it screamed ‘I haven’t given this game up yet’. Brilliant squad member.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Love Solly but he frustrates the hell out of me.

Solly you’re good, believe it.

And there is one half of the missing elements. He has to have that confidence and self belief in his own ability. The other aspect is being consistent.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not buying the whole "good player but...", "his issue is...", "the problem..", as if he isnt playing well enough. Just a great player usually putting in great performances. No problems. Hopefully staying at the club for the rest of his career.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Solly embodied the DNA of this team:
- good player, very comfortable on the ball
- great attitude and work ethic
- can’t shoot for toffee

Agree with a lot of this, but from what I've seen so far, I would rather he was taking the shots rather than Lallana/Moder/Biss.
I think most people agree, he doesn't look to take the responsibility of shooting often enough.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was very down on Solly a few seasons ago, thought he should be moved on but I am very glad to have been proven wrong. Potter seems to have given him a lot more belief in his ability, his re-invention as a wing back has been great to see, and that seems to have given him more confidence when he's playing in advanced areas. Sure he is frustrating at times and sometimes inconsistent but on the whole you can rely on him for a solid performance more often than not no matter where he is asked to play on the pitch. A very useful player to have in the squad.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
He's better now than he's ever been. He'll need to be too because he'll be playing centre-half vs Harry Kane on Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here