Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I hadn't heard that, but I'm not surprised that he did it. Billy is a long time Smiths fan. He also covered 'Jeane', the B Side to 'This Charming Man'. At a live show I saw a few years back he told an anecdote about spending New Year's Eve at Morrissey's place. The Smiths were involved in Red Wedge and he was there with a load of other RW artists. I also remember him talking in a TV discussion about how Mozza's arch sense of humour is often misinterpreted at miserableness. He's also worked with Johnny Marr, who plays on 'Greetings to the new Brunette' and is responsible for the beautiful guitar underneath Bragg's rework of 'Walk Away Renee'. It's not exactly a cover, because he adds new words to the tune, but worth posting as it has one of the finest last lines in any teen love song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrFkSeLukA

Not sure about spanking the original but just heard the Greta Van Fleet (Michigan based hard/heavy rock band) cover of the quintessentially British folk ballad "Meet On The Ledge" by Fairport Convention. Perhaps we should have an "unexpected cover versions" thread?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here