Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 10 years of Cover versions that absolutely SPANK the originals .......... over to you

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Leo Sayer has just released a whole album of Beatles covers, they are certainly all different from the originals as illustrated by:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Heard my daughter listening to this recently. She’s 22 and had no idea it was a cover. I rather like it. Not a complete reimagining but takes what was an out and out pop tune and gives it just a little more menace in the chorus.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I had survived until today without knowing that Boney M had covered this Marley classic. I assume someone must like this version.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL9ftHYrRQ&t=1s

Strange one this. 'Ca Pleine Pour moi' (Apparently translating as 'It's all working out for me') wasn't actually a cover version, but the Belgian producers took the backing track and used it to make both the French language hit and an English language song with different lyrics called 'Jet Boy Jet Girl' by the band Elton Motello. This was news to me. I've just looked into it having heard the Elton Motello song for the first time today on a punk compilation. It's probably not news to old fans of The Damned as they covered it. It sounds like Sensible on the vocals of their version.

Like most people I obviously know 'Ca Pleine Pour Moi' far better and would say that the singer on that does a more impressive job on the 'Ooh ooh ooh ooh' than his English counterpart. The English song is a fascinating thing though. The lyrics are completely different and, given their content you can see why it didn't chart like the Bertrand version. I don't know which I prefer, but I've posted the Plastique version so as not to cause offence. The English one is a gay love song, be warned that it contains reference to acts that are still illegal, even today following the equalising of the age of consent. It also has a bit of violent imagery, reference to glue sniffing and a refrain so blatant that it certainly wouldn't have snuck past the daytime radio censors. The story behind the record is here: http://www.punk77.co.uk/groups/eltonmotello.htm and there is a translation of the nonsense that Plastique (or was it Plastique) is singing here: https://genius.com/Genius-english-t...-ca-plane-pour-moi-english-translation-lyrics

Fascinating stuff for a music geek like me.

"Party All The Time" by Eddie Murphy is an absolute bop IMHO...however I absolutely adore the cover from New Jersey progressive rock & metal/jazz fusion band Thank You Scientist. Genuinely in the conversation for my favourite cover of all time. Also love that the commitment to parodying the video for the original.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here