Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10-game ban and 50-loyalty point deduction

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You’re right in that many people won’t turn it down on moral grounds. That’s why we have to have the rules. That’s why we have to have any rules. ST holders who sell on their tickets aren’t investing in the club when they are selling them on and accumulating loyalty points to cherry pick the best away games.
Your post pretty much sums up the reason many people (and the club) are so pissed off with what has been going on. You can’t even see it.
What do you mean I can’t see it?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Aren’t the rules in place to protect the core support so that fans who are genuinely entitled to get tickets have a chance of getting them?

Your statement is somewhat contradictory. It’s okay that someone’s girlfriend can go to a massively oversubscribed game who doesn’t really go to football much, at the expense of a genuine fan who may well have fought for the clubs survival 25 years ago. How is that alienating the core support exactly?

Strikes me the club has little to gain sending staff to away games and increasing their workload/costs for no return other than in the interests of fairness to their system of ensuring the most loyal fans who attend the most games get access to tickets.
It was Wolves away hardly over subscribed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If you had a mate that could easily get tickets but couldn’t make that many aways and offered you the ticket are you going to turn it down on a moral basis knowing the mate is going to spend the £30 anyway to keep points up?
Your point is flawed as you aren’t investing or committing as much as the ST holder is by only going to a few games a season.
I'm not comparing myself to the season ticket holder, they justifiably deserve the perks. Its the people they give the ticket to that take advantage of the perks that annoys me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm not comparing myself to the season ticket holder, they justifiably deserve the perks. Its the people they give the ticket to that take advantage of the perks that annoys me.
I get that although the ticket is always going to be purchased for the points even if said person does not attend so it still blocks someone else trying to purchase legitimately. The person attending on purchasers behalf has been given an opportunity and isn’t really part of the problem. Tickets don’t have individual QR codes so you can’t monitor that way.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I dunno. You bring up your kids to support the Club. They are at the stage of life when they can't afford or fit a season ticket into their lives so they use the old man's ticket to make their day out better. What is the problem.

I can see why the club would want to know who is attending a game. But also it is a good thing if younger people are following the club. And if that's at away games then so be it. Sometimes it is better to turn a blind eye - the danger is you make a mountain out of a molehill. I know the arguments - arrests/loyalty points etc. It just looks heavy-handed. A sledge hammer to crack a nut. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.
Absolutely spot on!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was Wolves away hardly over subscribed.
I was mixing up the posts about Brentford with this one.

Anyway, point stands. The club is trying to look after it's supporters by protecting the systems they have in place to ensure tickets go to the right fans.

I think the debate about the severity of the punishment is a different debate, because the principle of having a loyalty system and ensuring that it's robust is for the fans, not in spite of them.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I know this guy, loyal Brighton supporter for years and brought his kids up to be as well. His son has done wrong but way OTT punishment for the crime.
The problem is that the idiots getting others tickets are causing problems, Liverpool away , a fight behind me between drunk supposedly Brighton fans and 3 generations of one at that !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was mixing up the posts about Brentford with this one.

Anyway, point stands. The club is trying to look after it's supporters by protecting the systems they have in place to ensure tickets go to the right fans.

I think the debate about the severity of the punishment is a different debate, because the principle of having a loyalty system and ensuring that it's robust is for the fans, not in spite of them.
If the ‘right fans’ are friends of 1901 members count me out.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I get that although the ticket is always going to be purchased for the points even if said person does not attend so it still blocks someone else trying to purchase legitimately.
Wasn't a system put in place to stop this happening? Bournemouth away in the cup springs to mind when this cropped up when tickets were very cheap?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Aren’t the rules in place to protect the core support so that fans who are genuinely entitled to get tickets have a chance of getting them?

Your statement is somewhat contradictory. It’s okay that someone’s girlfriend can go to a massively oversubscribed game who doesn’t really go to football much, at the expense of a genuine fan who may well have fought for the clubs survival 25 years ago. How is that alienating the core support exactly?

Strikes me the club has little to gain sending staff to away games and increasing their workload/costs for no return other than in the interests of fairness to their system of ensuring the most loyal fans who attend the most games get access to tickets.
I think because Wolves was not massively oversubscribed, there were tickets available up to a day or two before the game.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The problem is that the idiots getting others tickets are causing problems, Liverpool away , a fight behind me between drunk supposedly Brighton fans and 3 generations of one at that !
Fights have occasionally broke out between our own fans for decades don’t think we can blame that on the ticket situation.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have not read all of thread. There is a problem with some away game tickets and club are trying to do something. However passing to youngsters should be looked on differently. home and away. They are our future and so many of us started by been taken to games when young and then continued. Since at Amex I could name at least 4 young people I have taken as a treat when somebody could not go and are now ST holders.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You really think the clubs owner would bother himself with such matters? Barber gets paid handsomely so he doesn’t have to get involved with the trivial daily issues.
Given that Bloom, himself, designed the loyalty system and that Barber said that Bloom was involved here - and given this whole thing is about trying to fix the abuse of it, then what makes you think he isn't ? There's 250 people or so on Albion's books, this idea that one person is solely responsible for devising the policies or decisions that are controversial or unpopular (and presumably all the good stuff too) is a bit far fetched.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What do you mean I can’t see it?
You can’t see the reasons people are pissed off ie other people accumulating loyalty points to perpetuate their ability to buy tickets even when they aren’t actually going to these games. Every person who does this is bumping another person down the queue, potentially to another points bracket.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You can’t see the reasons people are pissed off ie other people accumulating loyalty points to perpetuate their ability to buy tickets even when they aren’t actually going to these games. Every person who does this is bumping another person down the queue, potentially to another points bracket.
Where have I said that I don’t see why people are pissed off? Please point me to the post

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I guess there are two points...

1. He may not have been aware of the rule. A LOT of stuff comes out from the club, and some of it is easy to miss. I rarely visit the official club site, I never see emails from the club either (no idea if they send them or they just end up in Promotions/Spam within gmail) and I don't tend to open twitter other than on match days. It was the thread I linked to early on this thread that informed me of the club's new process for away tickets.

2. Even if he was aware, the Friends & Family part of the ticketing system means that anyone can buy a ticket on behalf of someone that they have a F&F relationship with. That second person will not know that a ticket has been bought in their name unless the purchaser tells them. The ticketing system implies trust between those who form F&F relationships, not unreasonably.
Ref your point 1, the T&Cs issued by the club extend to 162 pages! That is blatantly ridiculous and doesn't include the adhoc emails and tweets etc..

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
You seem to think that everyone who disagrees with it, are blind as to why it pisses people off. Most people on here have explained why they think it has its benefits, there just might be a better way to get around the issue with a bit of effort from the club to be proactive and find why people are buying tickets and not using them, or selling them on.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Fights have occasionally broke out between our own fans for decades don’t think we can blame that on the ticket situation.
Agree, fights amongst our own fans have always happened, if anything they've reduced after we've got to the premier league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here