Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 10,000 watch Poland vs Italy in Warsaw

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree in as much it does appear that Europe has more folks willing to tow the line, unlike the vast amount of selfish ####s we have here.

Or to look at it another way, they have governments that introduce simple explainable and consistent rules which they discuss rather than impose then support with appropriately targeted and controlled funding rather than writing blank cheques for cronies.

Life so much depends on how you look at it or how gullible you’re prepared to be don’t you think?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Or to look at it another way, they have governments that introduce simple explainable and consistent rules which they discuss rather than impose then support with appropriately targeted and controlled funding rather than writing blank cheques for cronies.

Life so much depends on how you look at it or how gullible you’re prepared to be don’t you think?

Yep.

Which nation's model would YOU have followed, in hindsight?

Asking for a friend.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Watched the NFL last night and quite surprised to see fans in some stadia. Kansas City have had them in all games and averaged around 13,000 in the ground. State of Missouri new cases have hovvered between 1000 and 3000 ish a day recently.

I've no idea of the actual dos and don'ts in Missouri but I'd hazard a guess there's more freedom there. However, I can't imagine somewhere in the mid west having a party scene like Liverpool when the football and students return, nor population density in the same way parts of Leicester do (for example). Hospitals there don't seem to be overwhelmed. So maybe they are allowing what they feel to be realistic given their current infection rates, hospitalisations and population make up in order not to overwhelm healthcare. Which is, really, what we're doing here.

There are fans in quite a lot of stadia. It is quite easy to distance in these massive venues. I did however watch the Texas A&M Florida game on Saturday and the stand which houses their 12th Man. seemed absolutely rammed in the top tiers with army cadets also grouped together which just seemed crazy to me. The rest of the 100,000+ Kyle field was sparsely attended. Again Death Valley for the Clemson/Miami game seemed busy but much better spaced out than the Texas A&M game. Texas have lax rules which mean the Cowboys can have 30,000 at their games. It's basically the south and mid west that are unsurprisingly leading the way here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe we should play inside the London Palladium.....this was yesterday apparently. Football grounds not safe though

4b9aaf838af970bc9668fb5a4d90a54d.jpg

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Maybe they have a population that are more likely to follow the advice and restrictions given out by the Government that we have here, and this is why we have had a worse outbreak and more cases.

People here not social distancing, not wearing face coverings in Supermarkets, shops and on public transport, illegal gatherings and raves, etc, etc.....all doing the opposite of what the Government here has said they should do, and all helping the virus thrive and spread around the UK simply because too many are selfish and bloody minded to agree to and follow some simple instructions designed to keep the people safe, but lets pin it all on the Government

Well said and spot on:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was hoping for a nation with similar population and more importantly, population density but never mind. Like for like and all that.

You probably should have said that in the question.

How similar are we to Poland?

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Maybe both countries having less than a quarter of the amount of new cases that we've had over the last 7 days has something to do with it.

Had we managed to control the virus at a reasonable level we would be returning to grounds at a 25% capacity as well as planned. Our government has failed to do the same so we can't.

It was in Gdansk not Warsaw as well.

The tri-city area of Gdansk is a lot worse than Warsaw with one of its areas classified as a red zone with stronger restrictions.
powiaty-od-10-10_-1280x578.jpg

They are either less incompetent and have the virus under control than our government or they are needlessly putting their people at risk.

I am British and have lived here in Poland for the last 20 years and the uncomfortable truth is that the government is trapped in a horrible economic situation in that it cannot afford another lockdown nor can they finance the hospitals to treat the infected people. So they bullcrap the people saying things are under control when they clearly are not and make superficial actions that do not actually do any good. The recent international games are a case in point where it has been reported today that six people who attended the game have contracted Covid-19, whether that is a direct result of their attendance is still being accessed.

Other countries have learnt how to treat Covid and their daily death rates are going down, but not Poland, they have remained the same from the very start and now they are increasing each day to record levels and most people are frightened - the others are just plain stupid and run around thinking nothing is happening.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great image. Do you have the sauce of this?

Who was playing?

It's all over Twitter........ [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] has popped the link above.

Interesting looking at the Covid protocols they put in place........how this can be OK and football not is a mystery. (Tory Lord) Lloyd-Webber must have friends in the right places.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's all over Twitter........ [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] has popped the link above.

Interesting looking at the Covid protocols they put in place........how this can be OK and football not is a mystery. (Tory Lord) Lloyd-Webber must have friends in the right places.

Maybe they trust theatre goers to act sensibly and adhere to the rules. Football fans may be wrongly, I don't know, regarded differently.

I did hear from that bloke on the Beeb earlier saying how bad shouting was for spreading. Would fans adhere to no signing?

I recall that the Chelsea game said not to, but there was some.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, it looks like a possible answer to the OP's question is "everywhere is different". Different populations and governments, same Covid.

The "little bit of politics" answer may be that we have a populist government who are suddenly unsure as to what is popular. Dom won't have been able to run too many of his focus groups but, in any case, people's attitudes are changing all the time. Boris knows that hospitals full of dying people won't just have the obvious human cost but will inevitably lead to pictures that will come to haunt him at the next election. Closing pubs in some areas may not be at all popular but closing schools may be more so. Or less. He's not sure. But middle aged parents are more likely to vote than alcoholics and students so let's do that. Going back to sporting events, socially distanced, may be popular with a few football fans but it doesn't really look good when compared to those closed down pubs. And will crowds of 25% capacity keep basket case clubs going? So, on balance, he's not going to do it, because pub closures and pictures of dying old people.

I can understand why the OP raised it by the way, if the above comes over as dismissive. I was at the 2,500 Chelsea game. It wasn't quite right but it was more normal than watching on telly, superbly organised and hasn't led to a local infection spike. I see absolutely no reason we cannot move to 5000, do the same in the West Stand as in the East and have a one way system round the ground like they do for Palace. But Dom doesn't currently have any data telling him if that would be a vote winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here