Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1 coffee please - milk and 25 sugars, thanks.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The drink that actually had 25 teaspoons of sugar was actually some kind of hot mulled fruit thing - not coffee at all, a fact that has been conveniently ignored by the likes of that Guardian article (and this thread). That said, it is bizarre how much of our coffee culture seems to be dominated with seasonal variants on loads of syrup and cream and toppings added to a latte.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Amazes me that the people ordering these things think they are drinking coffee.

This. It's "coffee" for people who don't like coffee.

The only way I'd have it is black, no sugar, from freshly ground beans.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A pint of double strength expresso please with a little milk (and no sugar).

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The drink that actually had 25 teaspoons of sugar was actually some kind of hot mulled fruit thing - not coffee at all, a fact that has been conveniently ignored by the likes of that Guardian article (and this thread).
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Always loved the smell of fresh coffee, but I think it tastes horrible, so never drink the stuff. I guess all these lardies don't like the taste of it either if they have to add loads of syrup and cream to enable them to drink it

That is exactly how I feel about coffee, I love the smell of it especially roasting, I even like a nice coffee cake but I hate coffee.

My wife's thyroid was very over active last night, it ate all the biscuits.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Out of boredom I done a bit of googling about chai lattes. To make one yourself involves 1/4 cup of sugar. I wonder if sales of those will nosedive?

I smegging well love fresh coffee.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
From the original article, my favourite quote

""I used to drink a large white cafe mocha with caramel and vanilla syrup, cream on top, caramel and chocolate drizzle at Starbucks - approximately three times a day, seven days a week.I did this for about a year. At the time, I knew this drink had lots of sugar and fat, but I wasn't aware of just how much."

Well take a f****ing guess how much, Porky :)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After spending time in the RAF, you first get inaugurated into the culture of drinking of tea or coffee with milk and two sugars.
Which was commonly known as 'NATO standard'
After a while you sick of all that sugar, which I did and just drink them with no sugar.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
After spending time in the RAF, you first get inaugurated into the culture of drinking of tea or coffee with milk and two sugars.
Which was commonly known as 'NATO standard'
After a while you sick of all that sugar, which I did and just drink them with no sugar.

Never had sugar in my drinks.....guess I was Nato non standard in all my years.....

PS im popping into Serco in a weeks time...look out for the BHA number plate

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'll be honest, ever now again if I'm on my male period I'll treat myself to a MOCHA. In the summer I may be tempted by an ICED mocha.

Now I've always been sugar conscious as my mother is diabetic and as a child we always had puddings with less sugar (we didn't know that), so when I taste something at it's correct sugar level it is almost unbearable.

I've DARED ask for a mocha with "half the sugar" before. The look of utter shock and confusion it caused was priceless :lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I just order a small black coffee to go, they get it, even though they talk like Latka from Taxi.

Apparently if your coffee order contains more than 5 words and you are male then you are a homosexual. Something I read.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I just order a small black coffee to go, they get it, even though they talk like Latka from Taxi.

Apparently if your coffee order contains more than 5 words and you are male then you are a homosexual. Something I read.

Six

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I have cut out all "added " sugar in my diet.....have also changed what and when i eat....my previous diet included energy drinks chocolate cakes all number of crap...lets just say i might have saved my life or at least prolonged it.....for years i would take 30 minutes to come round in the morning,now i get straight up.....i also feel lighter clearer minded and well....i thought it was middle ages setting in....how wrong i was...it's down to sugar.....

I have replaced choclate with an orange and a banana,now i know i'm a bit late in making this discovery and many of you have eaten sensibly for years,also i do fully appreciate the problems that diabetes and other health issues people have,but for me personally it's been a REVELATION a GAME CHANGER....

My dad is TYPE 2 diabetic and i promise you that although i am fairly fit and do a physically job,i was slowing and heading down a path to at best TYPE 2 diabetes.......

Cannot believe i was a fool for so long but if you are able to do one thing this week,think about a diet change..

for as long as i can remember i used to eat all types of rubbish,now i am aging my body can no longer accept such rubbish........

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From the original article, my favourite quote

""I used to drink a large white cafe mocha with caramel and vanilla syrup, cream on top, caramel and chocolate drizzle at Starbucks - approximately three times a day, seven days a week.I did this for about a year. At the time, I knew this drink had lots of sugar and fat, but I wasn't aware of just how much."

Well take a f****ing guess how much, Porky :)

Not only porky, that must've cost about £5000 a year. Some have more money than sense.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Inow i get straight up.....i also feel lighter clearer minded and well.... GAME CHANGER....

I fully agree with that, but it is so difficult to get the point across. Well done on making the change. Makes me laugh all these diets, when you look at it the solution is not complicated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here