Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1-0 to the referee - absolute Pain

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes, just back from the game. We were the better team, but they did defend well. Our approach play was good, but we just couldn't engineer a clear cut chance. We deserved a draw at least.

I'll take this opinion. Sometimes when you listen on the Sussex radio you get a different view.
Hopefully the performance on Tuesday will see the shots on target and many corners turned into goals.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The problem with referees in this country is they don't give flair players (like many of ours) enough protection. Just one of many reasons that technical players don't flourish in England and we are miles behind the rest of the world when it comes to that side of the game.

I've seen enough Spanish football to know that Continental teams are even bigger divers than over here. Referees don't seem to let the games flow as well, and appear to dish out more cards than in England. I'd say in other countries there's a push in the opposite direction.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
E
The ref allowed a physical game, but he was consistent to both teams. Ulloa was pulled about a fair bit but still managed some good hold up play; Bridcutt was back to his best; Vicente faded in the 2nd half; best game I've seen from Bruno since his injury.

I agree - ref did not seem to want to blow or find his cards for either team. Unfortunately this meant that as a ball playing team against very physical opponents, we often lost out. Missing ten scorable second half chances was why we lost. No further play after red card so not relevant to the result apart from using up valuable time.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Oh the old blame the Ref thread. How many of our missed chances were his?

I wasn't at Bolton today so Can't comment on the referee good or bad. If you cast your minds back to last Saturday v Huddersfield I recall numerous posts stating that the referee was the biggest homer ref we had seen for ages, and as it was in our favour no one seemed overly bothered. Time to remove the blue and white tinted glasses me thinks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wasn't at Bolton today so Can't comment on the referee good or bad. If you cast your minds back to last Saturday v Huddersfield I recall numerous posts stating that the referee was the biggest homer ref we had seen for ages, and as it was in our favour no one seemed overly bothered. Time to remove the blue and white tinted glasses me thinks.

The same ref who nearly cost us precious points by not sending off Danns? We can sometimes be biased but we have been on the end of some shite reffing the last two seasons..

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I must have been at a different game to you. I thought we battered them but just couldn't score. I didn't think the ref was too bad either.
I thought we were very good at times but, unlike the Huddersfield games, the chances just didn't fall well for us. The ref was poor, but not a homer. He was hugely inconsistent, sometimes awarding a foul for something very innocuous whilst letting wrestling moves go. Seems to be a bit of a theme in Championship games I'm afraid.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Think you will find those 'homer' comments originated from Huddersfield fans...I thought that ref was ok but no more than that.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
The same ref who nearly cost us precious points by not sending off Danns? We can sometimes be biased but we have been on the end of some shite reffing the last two seasons..

I agree but the majority of the decisions v Huddersfield went our way. Unlike today if the comments are to be believed. I think the general standard of refereeing has gone downhill. Were you at the Leeds game in September when we had a top Prem ref (allegedly) in Lee Mason who made 2 of the worst decisions I have ever seen in 25 years of watching the Albion.Namely the softest Pen ever given against Bruno and not Sending Michael Brown off for a second yellow card for fouling Buckley.:bhasign:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree but the majority of the decisions v Huddersfield went our way. Unlike today if the comments are to be believed. I think the general standard of refereeing has gone downhill. Were you at the Leeds game in September when we had a top Prem ref (allegedly) in Lee Mason who made 2 of the worst decisions I have ever seen in 25 years of watching the Albion.Namely the softest Pen ever given against Bruno and not Sending Michael Brown off for a second yellow card for fouling Buckley.:bhasign:

Yep sure was. I still can't get over that Burnley game either...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
radio also said orlandi was superb when he came on , just goes to show

Aspinal and that other nob commentating need to be replaced. Half the time you dont even know where the ball is.

As a neutral I think they're quite fair, at some occasions they sounded disappointed that Bolton didn't score. I dont think Aspers rates Barnes much though.

And what is the point of telling us that "Brighton are playing right to left this half". What difference does THAT make? Do you cluster rould the left hand speaker at corners yelling at them to score, and round the right-hand one yelling at them to keep the ball out?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
And what is the point of telling us that "Brighton are playing right to left this half". What difference does THAT make? Do you cluster rould the left hand speaker at corners yelling at them to score, and round the right-hand one yelling at them to keep the ball out?
That is quite brilliant!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I must have been at a different game to you. I thought we battered them but just couldn't score. I didn't think the ref was too bad either.

Glad it wasn't just me.

The OP seems to have a habit of coming on here after away games and posting ridiculous post match comments. The ref wasn't that bad at all, Orlandi was very bright, and was inches away from scoring.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We cannot score and need the midfield to step up to the plate otherwise we are doomed

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I was at the game. It was the first game I'd seen since Birmingham and before that the awful performance at Blackpool. We were better, but as said on here it still wasn't a great performance. Our passing style was helped by a great pitch. The referee was exteremely poor. David and Buckley combined well in the second half but looked the only threat. Vicente looked unfit from the start and didn't want to be there. Ulloa was poor. On a good pitch some of his ball skills were disappointing. We tended to play pretty football out to the wings but had no imagination in the centre. Several players seemed scared to shoot. Barnes was pretty poor in front of goal. We created few real chances and Bolton in some ways posed more of a threat than us. My biggest disappointment was that we wasted so many corners. We kept playing short corners that led to nothing.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If there was ever a more suitable chant than that for the absolute joke (Mod edit infraction issued some words are banned from NSC for a VERY good reason!!) of a referee.

arguably the most home biased ref i've ever seen.

yes team performance was shocking with numerous players playing below par

There is a tendancy amongst the Albions players, and it must come from the manager, to go down too easily.If this is done too frequently and with no justification then referees will become immuned to this and even may be dismissive of genuine fouls, re Drogba at Chelsea. Would like to se some of our players stand up and even man up at times. This is the championship, it will be rough, as the premiership with certain teams also, so just blaming the ref is probably not justified. A slow start from us AGAIN, in the first half, as with Bristol and as with so many other times when we have started slowly lost the impetus of the game and not gained a result. Are the team not motivated from the outset, is the manager not commuicating effectively before the match, are we above ourselves in thinking that we are in some way more technically gifted or have other teams in the division understood our game. Whatever it needs to be addressed, no more slow starts!!!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We battered them after Buckley came on. Vicente off the pace.
With the exception of Lopez, team seemed scared to shoot.
We are out of ideas.

That is so different to the player commentary. They were saying a really good performance ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here