Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you be happy if

Would you be happy if Graham Potter was named manager of BHA today?

• Yes

Votes: 128 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 74 31.9%

• Total voters

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interested to know who the 60+ NSCers who are less than enthusiastic about him would rather have?

The choices seem to be an old sweat (Hughes, Allardyce, Moyes etc), Lampard (who's less experienced than Potter) or someone like Arteta or Holland who's only been a number 2. I know people have made some crazy suggestions (Wenger, Benitez, Smug Eddie etc) but let's stick to the real world. Who else is there?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interested to know who the 60+ NSCers who are less than enthusiastic about him would rather have?

The choices seem to be an old sweat (Hughes, Allardyce, Moyes etc), Lampard (who's less experienced than Potter) or someone like Arteta or Holland who's only been a number 2. I know people have made some crazy suggestions (Wenger, Benitez, Smug Eddie etc) but let's stick to the real world. Who else is there?

I haven't voted, but my first choice would have been someone foreign who I haven't heard of. Outside of Brighton and England I have very little interest in football, and I'd never heard of people like Wagner, Klopp, that bloke at Southampton, the Pinocchio chap at Spurs, etc. until they rocked up in England. I wanted us to bring in a brilliant unknown foreigner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I respect you have the right to an opinion as this is what NSC is for, is there a reason as to why not? I think he comes across really well and Derby haven't had a bad season for his first one in charge.

Not enough experience as a manager is the main reason for me

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This - and the club will do the recruitment properly, so if it happens, any risk will be minimised - not eliminated, but minimised.

Lots of people moan about us not doing recruitment properly. I've wondered for a while what is meant by that? Is it just the usual tired old 'don't buy players from the Eredivisie', or is there something more to doing it properly?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
If ANYONE is named 'BHA' manager by the end of today, bearing in mind CH was only sacked yesterday, it could only mean that CH's cards were marked a while back and that there's been much boardroom discussion of possible replacements and drawing up of a shortlist behind closed doors.

It's likely that his cards were marked some time ago anyway. Tony Bloom probably decided days or weeks ago - even if we stayed up.

The announcement was made around 9:25 am - as a written release that quoted TB. This would have taken some time to write and approve, particularly for such as sensitive subject. And the day after a Sunday match on the last day of the season that didn't even finish until early evening. Would staff even be back in by 9:00 next day? They hardly need to prepare for the next match.

Therefore I suspect that the discussion and possibly an agreement between TB and CH was made before the City match. Just not announced.

Do any of Chris's post match interviews refer in any way to the future? I haven't watched them all again, but seem to remember that they talk mainly about 'quality of opposition'.

TB is ambitious for the club, plays the odds, and sadly sees progress as more probable with another person in the manager role: "I now feel it’s the right time for a change."

It has all been quite dignified, no slanging matches or claims of woe. Nothing from players.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Who did you want instead? Genuine question

Chris Hughton.

Failing that, Dean Smith or Gary Monk as both have done good jobs consistently in the league below.

See above.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't know much about him. In fact can I admit to not really having heard of him before yesterday?

But I will definitely be happy. It will mean that we had a target and a plan before sacking Chris. It will mean that Tony has got his man and we're not settling for third best having been turned down by others. It will mean there is a method and a determination to succeed at our highest level.

So yes, I'll be happy

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
massively underwhelming appointment.

I believe we would be an attractive option for many experienced managers both at home and abroad. IMO appointing Potter would be a bigger gamble than sacking Hughton

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Typical replies writing off someone linked to Brighton before giving them a chance

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If ANYONE is named 'BHA' manager by the end of today, bearing in mind CH was only sacked yesterday, it could only mean that CH's cards were marked a while back and that there's been much boardroom discussion of possible replacements and drawing up of a shortlist behind closed doors.

According to this report Bloom considered sacking CH after the Cardiff match but only decided against it because he thought it might do more harm than good. So it appears that CH's cards were indeed marked about four weeks ago...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/17637277.amp/

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Not that concerned who our next manager is, I support BHA, and will continue to do so.

The Manager will change, the players will change. I'll still be supporting them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Talks are happening?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I appreciate the sentiment and of course I'd support him if appointed) but to appoint someone with no Premier League experience is surely a massive massive gamble?

Well, everyone has to be a premier league manager for the first time... Loads of managers have got promoted and been good from start, others have come in from overseas, some work, some don't, we can have long lists of both. L plenty of proven managers fail when they move clubs too

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Well, everyone has to be a premier league manager for the first time... Loads of managers have got promoted and been good from start, others have come in from overseas, some work, some don't, we can have long lists of both. L plenty of proven managers fail when they move clubs too

I agree, personally now is the time we need someone with experience. Guess we have to trust Tony

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Like his alleged attacking style, proven intelligence, flexibility, track record... so, Yes...

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I haven't voted, but my first choice would have been someone foreign who I haven't heard of. Outside of Brighton and England I have very little interest in football, and I'd never heard of people like Wagner, Klopp, that bloke at Southampton, the Pinocchio chap at Spurs, etc. until they rocked up in England. I wanted us to bring in a brilliant unknown foreigner.
This is my feeling.

Going by the type of player we've been signing recently, ie. those none of us expected or knew anything about, I would say it is quite likely we'll get an unknown from abroad. Let's just hope he's not the managerial equivalent of Ali J or Locadia!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here