Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3-4-3

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Ok, but 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs joining the midfield and 3 interchangeable forwards.

Dunk, Duffy, Burn and Webster and Bernardo even the young Romanian if needed are more than adequate and IMO will only get better as a unit.

if we are going to play this system then we definitely need another attacking right back as cover for Montoya who I think will thrive in that position. Solly and Bernardo are the two for LWB.

Our front 3 at the moment we can choose from: Murray, Locadia, Trossard, Ali J, Gross and Andone.

That system suits all those forwards, if we don’t sign another striker it won’t be the end of the world IMO providing that’s the formation we play.

My concern is CM. Stephens, Propper, Altaze and Kayal and maybe Gross is what we have at the moment and is totally lightweight We need to spend big on a real tough tackling playmaker who will be the heart beat of the team. Who will get assists and score goals. He is the missing part of the 3-4-3 jigsaw.

Exciting times again on the BHA rollercoaster! Strap in hold tight and enjoy the ride !!!

Bissouma.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Solly fitted into his position naturally and has always been good at tracking back . Just don’t know when Izqueirdo is fit how he will fit into this shape
There is space to accommodate Jose from the bench, presuming GP doesn’t change any of the back 5 at the same time. A fit Jose can add something going forward, but he offers very little as defensive cover.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Was it 343 or 523 or 3421 or 3223 or 32221 or 5221 or....The main thing is that the players seem to taken the new shape onboard and it provides us with better attacking options

Could have been all of them depending on the situation and phase of play.

Which is the opposite of Hughton. It would have been 10-0-0 in defence, transition to defence, transition to attack and then 9-0-1 on the attack.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ali J played for about 13 minutes. Locadia was a vast improvement on last season's Locadia.

He was on for 13 mins and did at least 3 dreadful things. Locadia showed no sign of a good championship player let alone premier League

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Watched the stream tonight and thought we looked decent in parts, with a noticeable positivity bought about by the change in formation. I was particularly impressed with Trossard, floating around to find space and create opportunities, even if at times the movement ahead of him was lacking.

As noted by others we looked a bit weak down the right defensively. I think mainly down to the reluctance of Jurgen to drop back and the same of Duffy to shift across when required (something Burn seems to do very well). I wonder if anyone has an opinion as to why we haven’t opted for Dunk on the right of the 3 at the back, as that would seem more obvious given he is more of a ball playing centre half than Duffy is? All I can think of is that there were a couple of occasions last season where Dunk was caught out after being dragged wide, albeit in a different system.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Our front 3 at the moment we can choose from: Murray, Locadia, Trossard, Ali J, Gross and Andone.

That system suits all those forwards, if we don’t sign another striker it won’t be the end of the world IMO providing that’s the formation we play.

Hallelujah. Again it's almost like TB knew what he was doing when he somewhat harshly sacked CH.

He also knew what his money had bought him player wise, he just needed a manager who bought into the idea and shared his philosophy.

For my mind it's a little bit like moneyball when the coach refuses to play the players the GM got for him in the positions he expected them to be played in.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
AJ had a few poor touches in his first few minutes . . . I hope trying too hard with **** all time to impress. But he did improve and show some positivity.

Locadias had plenty of time, as has Murray, over other squad players, and shown nothing more than we already knew . . . Borderline good enough for a relegation run in, with negligible fight.

He was on for 13 mins and did at least 3 dreadful things. Locadia showed no sign of a good championship player let alone premier League

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I haven’t got the info to hand but would be interested to know what formation Potter played his Swansea team v Man City in the Cup last season?

He played a back four but with young midfield player Matt Grimes alongside van der Hoorn in the centre. As if we played Steven Alzate next to Dunk.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A lot of positives from tonight but we desperately need a striker with pace, and a center mid that can get about the pitch a bit quicker. Stephens & Propper seem too lethargic.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
A lot of positives from tonight but we desperately need a striker with pace, and a center mid that can get about the pitch a bit quicker. Stephens & Propper seem too lethargic.

Agree that a number of times these 2 were far too deep, and not supporting our wing backs, esp. when we had the ball in advanced positions. If Trossard was marked then the ball invariably was passed back and around our back 3. Hoping Pröpper can get forward more quickly and help link up.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Interesting that the continental side were set up as a 4 4 2.

I am very excited about the season although I must admit to a huge amount of nerves.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was effectively 5-3-2 for most of the first half.

5-3-2 is a good thing, 5-4-1 is a good thing, 3-4-3 is a good thing and all done in 90 mins... this is a lot better than we have seen in recent seasons. Fluid changing of formation and players. Pressing high, looking to attack, playing as a solid unit in defence and attack, and the players proving they can adapt. I see nothing to be worried about here. Expect a more 5-4-1 at Watford and many away games, but we will still attack as a 3-4-3.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the day when CH was our manager, looking forward to next season I felt that apart from a new RB to replace Bruno (Tavenier, £6 - £8 - maybe £10M) what we needed was aa beast of a CM (maybe two of them) in the Gerrard, Souness, Vierra mould (only a bit cheaper - maybe £30 - £40M each) - our attackers, I thought, were OK if given more supply and support in the penalty area from CM.
Now Potter has come in and shaken things up, I still think we're OK for attackers. The team looks better, more lively, more aggressive ......................... but ............... Stephens and Propper in CM; they're not bad players - in fact they're pretty good players, BUT, they're not scaring anybody. We still need that beast.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Back in the day when CH was our manager, looking forward to next season I felt that apart from a new RB to replace Bruno (Tavenier, £6 - £8 - maybe £10M) what we needed was aa beast of a CM (maybe two of them) in the Gerrard, Souness, Vierra mould (only a bit cheaper - maybe £30 - £40M each) - our attackers, I thought, were OK if given more supply and support in the penalty area from CM.
Now Potter has come in and shaken things up, I still think we're OK for attackers. The team looks better, more lively, more aggressive ......................... but ............... Stephens and Propper in CM; they're not bad players - in fact they're pretty good players, BUT, they're not scaring anybody. We still need that beast.

Biss, he's injured! Now I really need to stop working and go to bed, Brighton playing tonight made me lazy for a couple of hours..

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
I've only seen the highlights of preseason games, but really like the fluidity of this formation. Fully expect it to be 5-4-1 at City/Liverpool away though.

So glad to see the 4-3-3 gone, and even the structured 4-4-1-1, which arguably served us so well for a season. Time to kick on now and see what happens. Up the Albion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here