Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

Were the club right to sack Chris Hughton now?

• Yes

Votes: 364 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.9%

• Total voters

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
f6251888b843e21724a0e1e692e340c0.jpg

Apparently Cardiff should have stayed up as deserved more because of the plan incident [emoji2371]

A look at the outside world shows

1) we should know our place
2) who do we think we are?
3) Chris is a great guy
4) we are getting relegated next year

Norwich City Supporters acknowledge he is a gentleman but accept the situation

Teams like Brighton, shrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Without doubt, no need for another Hyppia scenario blindly letting him lead us to relegation. TB had to act and best to let the new guy have his input with regards to potential new signings

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Non of the above as we have no idea who will be replacing Chris Houghton as unable to say if the club were correct in sacking him now, need to ask the question at the end of next season only time will tell.

If however you had asked would you if you were TB sacked him now well that's a different question

It's a tough old world this football management

As for the timing it's the most logical time to replace the manager before any new players arrive Its also got to make the current squad very concerned to the point they maybe have a few beers less than usual while on holiday

Last edited:

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Apparently Cardiff should have stayed up as deserved more because of the plan incident [emoji2371]

3) Chris is a great guy

Don't worry about it and move on. We will flourish next season.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure it IS a simple question. Would CH have done better next season with new players/improvements to the existing players? Will the new manager do a better job?

We'll never know the answers to the first question, let's just hope the answer to the second one is 'yes'!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Didn't want it to happen and feel sad that it has, but accept that results and performances have not been good enough and we're in need of some fairly big changes.

As others have said on various threads, sacking Chris is a big gamble, but sticking with him for a third PL season would have been a gamble too.

The pundits and social media crowd can overreact and exaggerate as much as they like, but managers and players face this stuff all the time as part of being involved in a highly-paid and high-pressure industry. I suspect the club has made the right call, however painful it may feel.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s a tough question to answer because we are not party to all that goes on.

To me it looks fickle and we will never know if Chris improves it all next season, with 2 or 3 new signings and U23s players emerging.

So No it was wrong in my eyes, seems poor loyalty to someone who has done so much, and brought a lot of money into the club.

Many other fans have labelled us 'ungrateful ********'. As you say, we don't know what has gone on, but I think he deserved another summer, and see what happened by October.

What's done is done now. :down:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Entirely understand the decision, based on results since Christmas. My head says Yes, but my heart said No, and that's what I voted.
So much in football is about character, and it's rare you find a quality human being who is a successful manager. We were blessed to have that in Chris, and there aren't many of them out there.
Did he make the best of the players at his disposal? I think he probably did.
Would he have been able to help us improve next season? Maybe. Depending on who we sign.
Would he have been able to lead a club learning fast what it takes to succeed in the Premier League? I think so.
Would he have had the wholehearted support of the fans? Depends. Getting established in the top league takes time. If there were signs of improvement up to Christmas: decent results, goals, positive football, then I'm sure the fans would be fully behind him.
Are there better options out there? Yes
Can we afford them - and would they want to come? Jury's out on that one. Let's wait and see.
In time, it may prove that Uncle Tony's got his judgement spot on, and we can look back and say 'right decision, right time'.
For the moment, it feels a massive risk that I hope we don't regret.

Thanks Chris, you've been top notch – and I'm genuinely gutted it had to end this way. Good luck for wherever you go next.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm not sure it IS a simple question. Would CH have done better next season with new players/improvements to the existing players? Will the new manager do a better job?

We'll never know the answers to the first question, let's just hope the answer to the second one is 'yes'!

I’m Wondering if the new players we signed last summer will effectively become new new players with a change of tactics playing to their strengths?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

3) Chris is a great guy

Just a bunch of trolls following the narrative. Little pricks that know nothing about Brighton, CH or football in general that one week hope we go down because we are boring, the next week hope we go down because we changed our manager...One of our finest managers in our finest era. BUT it was time to go. To all those fans wishing ill on us, the feeling is mutual.

Always going to be a risk removing the manager but personally I stand with the club on it, we have to evolve, and I’m sure not many will be happier than CH if we stay up next season.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just a bunch of trolls following the narrative. Little pricks that know nothing about Brighton, CH or football in general that one week hope we go down because we are boring, the next week hope we go down because we changed our manager...One of our finest managers in our finest era. BUT it was time to go. To all those fans wishing ill on us, the feeling is mutual.

Always going to be a risk removing the manager but personally I stand with the club on it, we have to evolve, and sure not many will be happier than CH if we stay up next season.

Agree it was the right time

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I voted "yes", however...

I've said, previously, that the only time I could see Bloom acting was if we were adrift in the bottom three heading towards Christmas. When I received the embargo-ed email notification a few minutes before 9:30, I was stunned - I really couldn't see it happening so quickly.

I'd only just posted that I am glad that the season is over. and the thought of more of the same next season was not appealing.

I love Christ Hughton to bits - he has done so much for the club and is clearly a thoroughly decent bloke - one of the best. I feel dirty saying "yes"...

This is where I am, too.

I've voted IN in every poll and debate ever raised on Chris Hughton (after the first couple of months, tbf - I initially thought he was a dull disaster).

But too many fans have lost faith, and from here onwards, however well we (he) were doing, they'd just be waiting for the next dip to pile in with the negativity. Its not a pleasant or healthy state of affairs, but it means that though largely no fault of his own, his race here was run.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I have a bad feeling this will come back to haunt us, just like Newcastle and Norwich.

There are some differences. Norwich were relegated when CH was sacked. Newcastle have one of the worst owners in the football league and owe everything they achieve to their manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here