Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes not good enough for the Albion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get the impression that all is quite rosy in your Abion garden, good for you :thumbsup:

It seems you get off on swimming against the tide.

No not at all, although granted I was last on board this current bandwagon.
The Derby midfield selection did for me.

No this is in reference to a point made by [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] on Roar, that I hadn't noticed and really struck a cord.

That being, how good players not in the team become, just because they are not playing.

Sure I took a little license with it expanding to ex-players as well, but the point does still stand.
Granted it's a little easily at the moment with second rate replacements.

Nevertheless Barnes was a divisive player while here, not something anyone would believe reading NSC, this afternoon.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think CMS has that 'crown' right now. But Baldock will be right up there.

We now have a proven Goal Scorer at a higher level in Darren Bent, and he isn't getting amongst the goals for us which shows its the tactics not getting the best from the strikers rather than the strikers being poor. None of our strikers (be it CMS, Baldock or Bent) are getting a decent service from our attacking play and are working off scraps. Bent hardly had a touch of the ball against Fulham and Millwall and was often left isolated and vastly outnumbered and as the only Albion player in the penalty area when we did look to attack (everyone else ran wide towards the ball)

We haven't truly seen what any those three can actually do for us and would also explain why players a lot of our fans class as poor and league 1 standard seem to do well once they leave us for a new (higher placed) team like Barnes, Vokes, Wood, Murray, etc........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No not at all, although granted I was last on board this current bandwagon.
The Derby midfield selection did for me.

No this is in reference to a point made by [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] on Roar, that I hadn't noticed and really struck a cord.

That being, how good players not in the team become, just because they are not playing.

Sure I took a little license with it expanding to ex-players as well, but the point does still stand.
Granted it's a little easily at the moment with second rate replacements.

Nevertheless Barnes was a divisive player while here, not something anyone would believe reading NSC, this afternoon.

Oh I don't know, you seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet as Sir Albion and Somerset :wink:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ashley Barnes has just turned 25.

Injuries permitting, he's still got his best years in front of him.

Selling a decent young player for comparatively little didn't make any sense then and makes even less sense now.

The fact we got any fee was a good bit of business, he was offered a new deal but didn't seem like he was keen to stay and had they waited, he would have walked away for nothing, (especially given the level of abuse he got whilst playing here) just like Murray before him. I'd guarentee that there would have been a fans backlash had that happened. (even from those who said he shouldn't have been here in the first place)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I don't know, you seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet as Sir Albion and Somerset :wink:
Wow you know how to fight dirty!! :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of my favourite Albion players. But he wanted to go, Never a good idea in my opinion to keep unhappy players. His contract was up at the end of last season anyway, and if we had held on to him we risked losing him for nothing. Much better that we sold him in the January transfer window for less than his market value. At least we made some money from it. He came to us on a free transfer remember.

Orrr just offer him a new contract that wasn't offensively small? Just like we missed out on Ward for the sake of a few pennies. We are properly SHIT at negotiating.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Main problem is you were not able to see what he brought to the team when he was here and slagged him off if I remember correctly, so you're hardly likely to admit you were wrong now are you?..
I would admit it i can assure you although he's shite,so don't need too.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Ashley Barnes got a ridiculous amount of abuse from Albion fans, and sadly it wasn't just a small minority. People sitting near me booed his name when the team sheet was read out and had some kind of fit should he, heaven forbid, have a bad touch, miss a tackle or not score with every shot. Yes he was petulant at times and a bit rough round the edges, but he was young and he was improving for playing/training with better players all the time. I thought he improved a fair bit with Ulloa's arrival. These are probably the same fans who rated Garcia as a boring dull manager who produced constantly dull defensive teams.

As with anything in life, be very careful what you wish for. The grass is very seldom greener.

Apr 12, 2011
Without reading the whole thread so this may have been said before, but although 750k may seem like bad business, and like a lot of people I wish he was still here...put it in context that his contract was drawing to an end and would likely have otherwise left on a free and we did well to get anything for him.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Good lad, I'm pleased for him.

Agreed. I liked Barnesy. Thought he behaved like a bit of a prick on the field a lot of the time, but in a strangely endearing he's "our prick" kind of way. The stick he got from the crowd was disgusting, and entirely misdirected. He was limited and frustrating, and capable of some horrific misses on occasion, but he worked his b0ll0cks off and was fantastic at adapting to whatever role was asked of him. At the very least he was a very very good squad player, and his Premiership success perhaps suggests he has more ability than I ever gave him credit for.

Would not blame him for doing the old ear-cup celebration if he ever came back to The Amex and scored against it. I think I'd even allow myself a wry smile for Barnesy - it would be the least he owes the c*nts who abused him consistently throughout his years at the club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The fact we got any fee was a good bit of business, he was offered a new deal but didn't seem like he was keen to stay and had they waited, he would have walked away for nothing, (especially given the level of abuse he got whilst playing here) just like Murray before him. I'd guarentee that there would have been a fans backlash had that happened. (even from those who said he shouldn't have been here in the first place)
Really? How do you know that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here