Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk / Greer Mistakes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we ever did in the first place I was told it was £2m but there you go.

The last time you said that, I posted the link to the Argus article proving you wrong.
Dunk wasn't our worse defender last night by any means. Bruno had a complete mare of a game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The last time you said that, I posted the link to the Argus article proving you wrong.
Dunk wasn't our worse defender last night by any means. Bruno had a complete mare of a game.

But the bottom line is they both made poor mistakes, that have cost us the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Mr Liability is going good and strong. Has been for the last 6 weeks

Check [MENTION=4639]ack[/MENTION]er player ratings for the season, I think they are in the Hull thread, you'll see who has been a liability so far.

Last night though he sounded awful, culminating in a poor error.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
From the look of the highlights (and that is all I've seen on Sky Sports), there were mistakes from all 4 of the defenders. Unfortunately for Dunk (as happens when things aren't going your way) he looked like he slipped and got punished. But there were mistakes from all 4 of them that led to chance after chance for Rotherham...

Bruno though... I'm a big fan of his but what was he doing?!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
As rated by NSC, throughout the season. The average rating for centre backs are as follows; (thanks to Acker)

Uwe - 6.81
Greer - 6.63
Goldson - 6.59
Dunk - 6.19

Bruno, on the other hand has an average rating of 7.28. I think it's clear where the 'liability' is.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair its a back 4 that haven't really played together. That happens. HOWEVER idiocy is unforgivable.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
From the look of the highlights (and that is all I've seen on Sky Sports), there were mistakes from all 4 of the defenders. Unfortunately for Dunk (as happens when things aren't going your way) he looked like he slipped and got punished. But there were mistakes from all 4 of them that led to chance after chance for Rotherham...

As rated by NSC, throughout the season. The average rating for centre backs are as follows; (thanks to Acker)

Uwe - 6.81
Greer - 6.63
Goldson - 6.59
Dunk - 6.19

Bruno, on the other hand has an average rating of 7.28. I think it's clear where the 'liability' is.

Was it Bruno that slipped and headed the ball providing the assist for a Rotherham goal? :lolol:
To be fair, Bruno's been outstanding this season so perhaps it's just a one-off.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Was it Bruno that slipped and headed the ball providing the assist for a Rotherham goal? :lolol:
To be fair, Bruno's been outstanding this season so perhaps it's just a one-off.

Sorry I'm not suggesting that Bruno is the liability. I was pointing out that he has actually been fantastic this season. The liability this season has been Dunk IMO. Supported by the average ratings. Dunk is considerably lower than the other defenders.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The defensive errors in the last 4 games have only cost us 4 points in total.

We haven't scored in any of those games, so were never in a position to claim all 3 points. So in real terms the defence has cost us 4 points, but our offence has cost us 12 points. That is the reality.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Sorry I'm not suggesting that Bruno is the liability. I was pointing out that he has actually been fantastic this season. The liability this season has been Dunk IMO. Supported by the average ratings. Dunk is considerably lower than the other defenders.

Just need to correct myself.
It was DUNK that led to the goal I was on about, not Bruno.

Looks like he tripped or attempted a bicycle-kick clearance which fell straight to the Rotherham scorer.

How many more times will he be allowed to gift other teams goals this season?

The defensive errors in the last 4 games have only cost us 4 points in total.

We haven't scored in any of those games, so were never in a position to claim all 3 points. So in real terms the defence has cost us 4 points, but our offence has cost us 12 points. That is the reality.

:lolol:

5399805046_0d30e4dd70.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Looked like:

In fairness to Bruno I thought that he was trying to nod it back to one of our players to hoof it up field as we needed a goal but misdirected his header, still a terrible mistake. Perhaps replace him with Calderon Saturday if we have no better although Goldson has played right back but like Ridgewell it is not his natural position

It was costly, I don't know that it was terrible, in the sense that it looked like it was close enough to Crofts had he been expecting it, but he wasn't (since it would usually be Greer in that position and he'd be more familair with Bruno trying to play out of danger) so didn't react quickly enough.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's not clutching at straws, there was nothing positive in what I said, in fact in some ways it is those saying we just need to cut out the defensive errors that are clutching at straws as they aren't the main reason we've only taken 3 points from 21.

Exactly. If we could score a couple of goals per match, these occasional errors wouldn't be so costly.

The further back you go in a team, the more expensive errors become and the more people remember them. A goalkeeper can be perfect for 89 minutes and 59 seconds and cost you the game with his only mistake. Dunk wins dozens of headers, but slips and they score. Meanwhile forwards can blunder around for most of a match, lose 99 percent of challenges and still be heroes if they stick one in. That's football. You might as well blame everyone in front of Dunk for not creating or scoring goals as pick on him for one or two mess-ups.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Exactly. If we could score a couple of goals per match, these occasional errors wouldn't be so costly.

The further back you go in a team, the more expensive errors become and the more people remember them. A goalkeeper can be perfect for 89 minutes and 59 seconds and cost you the game with his only mistake. Dunk wins dozens of headers, but slips and they score. Meanwhile forwards can blunder around for most of a match, lose 99 percent of challenges and still be heroes if they stick one in. That's football. You might as well blame everyone in front of Dunk for not creating or scoring goals as pick on him for one or two mess-ups.

But they're not occasional or "one or two", which is the issue.
They've become routine, which has now been highlighted by Hughton, Andy Naylor and much of NSC.

It's absolutely TRUE that if our strikers score 2-3 goals per game, they would take a lot of focus away from Dunk's horrific and regular mistakes.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
But they're not occasional or "one or two", which is the issue.
They've become routine, which has now been highlighted by Hughton, Andy Naylor and much of NSC.

It's absolutely TRUE that if our strikers score 2-3 goals per game, they would take a lot of focus away from Dunk's horrific and regular mistakes.

It's actually what [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] said in another thread - Dunk doesn't make errors or mistakes, he actually does things that are just stupid. None of our other players do that - mistakes yes, stupidly no.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Since the appointments of ch and cc I've been worried that our attack coaching may be below strengh, given their combined careers, but our defensive coaching strength ought to be superb.

But I'm really worried how disorganised we look at the back on occasions. I see most of it live, backing off direct runners, poor judgment on jockey or slide in, doubling up on one man and leaving another free because failing to read movement etc. And I see the rest of it on Tv clips when I can't get to away games, and often our defending looks like the keystone cops, and that's backed up by the ribbing I get from friends who say "did you see that calamitous defending last night" etc. I mean, look at the last 12 goals we have conceded, it is utterly shambolic, and with the strength of defensive coaching we have it should be sorted in the classroom, quickly, but it keeps happening. Yes I know, changes of personnel due to injury bla bla bla, but think about all the time spent on the training ground and watching future opposition videos, there is hours and hours to prep and rehearse this. It's not as if the defenders have got other things to do like clean boots and sweep the car park.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
It's not unreasonable to see how because of our defensive errors (mostly Dunk's) that the whole teams confidence is shot, hence why the goals have dried up. Perhaps Kayal/Stephens are finding themselves dropping deeper as they lack confidence in Dunk behind them? That can make a huge difference up the other end.

Blame for last night has to go to CH for selecting Dunk.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Dunk slipped, I don't think anyone is denying that, but that's desperately unlucky - it's not a mistake, it's unfortunate. He's going through one of those phases where he can't get a break unfortunately - but if you're getting on his back because of that "mistake" last night then you're doing it to illustrate your bias rather than any logic as a fan of the club.

Being honest, I only watched the 2 minute highlights on Sky and I counted 5 actual defensive mistakes (not slipping up on wet ground!) between Ridgewell and Greer, none of which were punished - that's just the way it's going for Dunk at the moment - others are making as many mistakes but not being punished.

Still, what was Bruno doing... Bruno has been outstanding but I'm still not sure I get what he was trying to do. I'm all for playing out of the back, but it didn't even look like he was trying to do that...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here