Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A 'pathway' it had been stuck on since 1987 and unlike your link from the same week in 2010 that Eoin Morgan scored a Test match hundred against Pakistan with Man of The Match James Anderson taking 11 wickets in the same game, (alongside some from the Vote Leave campaign presumably put up for comedy value rather than an attempt at a substantive one) Cameron stated in 2016 it would happen in the 'Year 3000.'

A 'pathway' they were progressing on.

Feel free to add irrelevant cricket references for 2014 .. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/po...-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

Did you also believe Cameron's statement about triggerering article 50 immediately? :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm sure they'll be delighted to see migration from outside the EU has increased to a 14 year high.

Of course much of it is that other parts of eastern europe are doing much better, so the decline was likely to happen with or without the vote.

On one hand, we are told that all those nasty racist brexiteers who voted leave are causing thousands of hard-working Eu citizens (mainly lovely nurses) to flee the country now you are telling me this would have happened anyway?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Quite the reverse: in May 2016 the EU said that government control of the judiciary that Erdogan had introduced were contrary to EU rules. This was after 2009 when Cyprus blocked further talks until the Northern Cyprus issue was resolved.

To put things in context: Turkey has been on the pathway since 1987 but, as now, they have met one of the 35 conditions for entry. And as it's making no effort to tackle some major sticking points, we can assume that the issue is dead duck (or turkey).

I'm not sure why people are posting links: I'm not denying people made claims that Turkey would join the EU but saying explicitly, there's the indication that Turkey would - but as we see there's absolute no chance of that. On the other hand, withdrawal from the EU would explicitly see end of freedom of movement - there's a big difference.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quite the reverse: in May 2016 the EU said that government control of the judiciary that Erdogan had introduced were contrary to EU rules. This was after 2009 when Cyprus blocked further talks until the Northern Cyprus issue was resolved.

To put things in context: Turkey has been on the pathway since 1987 but, as now, they have met one of the 35 conditions for entry. And as it's making no effort to tackle some major sticking points, we can assume that the issue is dead duck (or turkey).

I'm not sure why people are posting links: I'm not denying people made claims that Turkey would join the EU but saying explicitly, there's the indication that Turkey would - but as we see there's absolute no chance of that. On the other hand, withdrawal from the EU would explicitly see end of freedom of movement - there's a big difference.

Depends on your definition of progress

The EU and Turkey reconfirmed their commitment to re-energise the accession process as set out in their joint statement of 29 November 2015. They welcomed the opening of Chapter 17 on 14 December 2015 and decided, as a next step, to open Chapter 33 during the Netherlands presidency. They welcomed that the Commission will put forward a proposal to this effect in April. Preparatory work for the opening of other Chapters will continue at an accelerated pace without prejudice to Member States' positions in accordance with the existing rules.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/03/18/eu-turkey-statement/

EU opens new phase in Turkey membership bid talks -2016

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36672242

I agree the misrepresentation is rather tedious but par for the course I'm afraid.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Feel free to add irrelevant cricket references for 2014 .. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/po...-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

Did you also believe Cameron's statement about triggerering article 50 immediately? :facepalm:

I bet you believed him on Article 50 and there wasn't any international cricket played in December 2014 at the time of that Telegraph article for me to make irrelevant reference to, you buffoon. :facepalm:

It's strange though on Turkey, I've never spoken to anyone - British, Turkish or from elsewhere in Europe who has ever said they realistically thought that Turkey will ever join The EU - Only English Brexit voters. I recall that even Merkel once said 'privileged partner status' was the best they were going to get. An Austrian acquaintance of mine told me she actually laughed when she learned that people were talking about it here in 2016 as a genuine prospect, for example. The Year 3000 is far too optimistic in all honesty.

All Cameron was actually doing with his public, undying love for Turkey, was what every sycophantic, good poodle of a British PM does - sucking up to Washington. The USA are the ones who wanted Turkey in The EU - nobody in Europe did.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I bet you believed him on Article 50 and there wasn't any international cricket played in December 2014 at the time of that Telegraph article for me to make irrelevant reference to, you buffoon. :facepalm:

It's strange though on Turkey, I've never spoken to anyone - British, Turkish or from elsewhere in Europe who has ever said they realistically thought that Turkey will ever join The EU - Only English Brexit voters. I recall that even Merkel once said 'privileged partner status' was the best they were going to get. An Austrian acquaintance of mine told me she actually laughed when she learned that people were talking about it here in 2016 as a genuine prospect, for example. The Year 3000 is far too optimistic in all honesty.

All Cameron was actually doing with his public, undying love for Turkey, was what every sycophantic, good poodle of a British PM does - sucking up to Washington. The USA are the ones who wanted Turkey in The EU - nobody in Europe did.

Actually I think I missed that fib (so much bullsh*t flying around from both sides).

I've never spoken to anyone English or otherwise that claimed they really 100% knew what the future holds but I have come across quite a few people on here that think they do.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Are you trying to bundle the Turkey joining claim up with the £350 Million a week for the NHS, as not really bullshit as it was just a "could"?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

The difference on Turkey is you're looking at it rationally, the hysteria made by the leave campaigns aligned with that in the tabloid press that plenty of people believed was anything but.

Withdrawal from the EU wouldn't explicitly see an end to freedom of movement, that comes from leaving The EEA and is ultimately party to the final negotiated agreement, if there is one.

Even Vote Leave said: "There is a free trade zone from Iceland to Turkey and the Russian border and we will be part of it." There's plenty on reducing immigration, but looking on The Vote Leave website I can't see ending free movement specifically being mentioned at all. That free trade zone sounds suspiciously like The EEA to me.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Actually I think I missed that fib (so much bullsh*t flying around from both sides).

I've never spoken to anyone English or otherwise that claimed they really 100% knew what the future holds but I have come across quite a few people on here that think they do.

More to the point on the subject of Turkey, chancers like possible future PM Johnson and current minister Mordaunt are happy to issue 100 per cent lies in the safe knowledge that people will assume that even Brexit opinion-formers don't bust the truth to support their cause.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just watched Exposure: Brexit Online Uncovered on ITV.

There are some nasty (anonymous) people out there.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just watched Exposure: Brexit Online Uncovered on ITV.

There are some nasty (anonymous) people out there.

Sites like twitter have alot to answer for and are not doing enough to stop some of the worst of it from all sides. Pro-Brexit Suella Braverman was on the news prior too, she gets loads of abuse from remainers being called a Paki and told to go back to her own country, telling Soubry she is going to be raped is just vile.
I dont use twitter, but is there no way you can turn off the ability for people to reply to your tweets rather like youtube videos sometimes has comments disabled.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Everything's been said so many times now, but certain posters on here must be getting really excited.

Only 24 days until you find out what you voted for :thumbsup:

maybe :wink:

And we find out who was right

So let me get this right. The following people have said no deal is an absolute possibility ( and the list isn't exhustive ) :

Junker
May
Tusk
Barnier
Corbyn
Cable
Bank of England Governor
Bank of England Deputy Governor
The Irish PM
The Deputy Irish PM
The Irish Finance Minister
Hammond
Starmer
Fox
James Dyson
Numerous political commentators across the whole spectrum of the press
Macron
Merkel
The Dutch PM
The CEO of Aviva
Gove
The ERG
The First Minister of Scotland
The CBI
The IOD
A multitude of UK MPs
The head of the SMMT
The head of HMRC
Barclay
Johnson
Davies

Yet you, some retired small business person in Wales with some fake crystal ball knows better than all these people ( and others ) and dismisses it with "Politicians don't always tell the truth" ? Remarkable, utterly remarkable. :facepalm:

Do tell - what gives you this great in sight and knowledge that all this people closer to the process don't have ?

or

11398284.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Everything's been said so many times now, but certain posters on here must be getting really excited.

Only 24 days until you find out what you voted for [emoji106]

maybe :wink:

And we find out who was right

or

View attachment 105286

FWIW I think it'll be *no deal*.

Granted there is still a chance that when May finally looks into the abyss, she will turn away and revoke Article 50 on March 29th.

This will cause the yellow vest loons to kick off, but the police and army will be prepared to secure Parliament.

I wouldn't want to be in central London on the 29th March whatever happens.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
FWIW I think it'll be *no deal*.

Granted there is still a chance that when May finally looks into the abyss, she will turn away and revoke Article 50 on March 29th.

This will cause the yellow vest loons to kick off, but the police and army will be prepared to secure Parliament.

I wouldn't want to be in central London on the 29th March whatever happens.

Meg said don't worry, it won't (in July 2016) when there was nearly three years for

The NI/Ireland Border
The New customs posts
The new Lorry Parks at all ports
The negotiation of our new schedules and quotas with the WTO
The design, building and testing of the new IT systems to run the WTO tariffs and rules
The recruitment and training of the new staff to run the new systems/rules etc

With 24 days to go, she is feeling quite confident :wink:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it there hasn't been Chamberlainesque, 'peace in our time' moment from May yet, and the upcoming vote will be on the same deal as the last one?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I take it there hasn't been Chamberlainesque, 'peace in our time' moment from May yet, and the upcoming vote will be on the same deal as the last one?

Yep, same as the deal at the end of phase 1 negotiations in December 2017, just with 2 further years of can kicking for the Ireland/NI issue added, because that will definitely resolve it :shrug:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Meg said don't worry, it won't (in July 2016) when there was nearly three years for

With 24 days to go, she is feeling quite confident :wink:

Emmmm...Hunt concedes Tory MPs could be given free vote on ruling out no deal

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I got the result of the referendum right but my predictions haven't been very good since. My current guess is that next week's vote will go against May, but will be fairly close. No no-deal and an extension will be supported; the EU, encouraged by a close vote on 13 March, will then offer an extra tweak and she'll get the thing through during April or May with a departure just before the Euro elections.

I hope I'm wrong and of course I probably will be.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I got the result of the referendum right but my predictions haven't been very good since. My current guess is that next week's vote will go against May, but will be fairly close. No no-deal and an extension will be supported; the EU, encouraged by a close vote on 13 March, will then offer an extra tweak and she'll get the thing through during April or May with a departure just before the Euro elections.

I hope I'm wrong and of course I probably will be.

I think that's what a lot of people are predicting. To me some kind of border in Ireland seems hard to avoid. The Swiss have one and they have no ports and follow EU regs.

Of course if she does get it through this is "the end of the beginning" and we will start to experience the relationship with the EU that Brexiteers said we had back in June 2016. The reality to many groomed by Dacre & co is going to come as a bit of a shock. The last 3 years have been a gradual discovery of our true place in the world order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here