Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan radio interview, on how he learnt of CH sacking.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
There was a press release at 09:30 on the Monday. There does not seem to be much time between his sacking and the press release. It does beg the question why the club didn’t hold off just a little longer to ensure key staff were informed and had time to read any messages/calls. Even half a day would surly have ensured most players found out via the appropriate channels?

Because with social media this could have been leaked within minutes of CH being informed and leaving the building.

The most important person in this is CH, not us, not the players nor the staff. CH would need to be informed and then the news rolled out to all and sundry.

You can guarantee that if they allowed a couple of hours between CH being given the bad news and the press conference that it would have been leaked, then the amount of whinging on here about the club not being on the ball would have been biblical .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Did anyone else hear that Maty went to school with Aron Moy? (Moy was a year ahead). Wonder if he would influence Aron coming to us if we went after him? Apologies if this connection has been highlighted before.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There was a press release at 09:30 on the Monday. There does not seem to be much time between his sacking and the press release. It does beg the question why the club didn’t hold off just a little longer to ensure key staff were informed and had time to read any messages/calls. Even half a day would surly have ensured most players found out via the appropriate channels?

In theory yes but as Deportivo says the “unsubstantiated” news would have spread like wildfire and the club would’ve lost control of the comms.

Why and how would an angry and disappointed Hughton, Trollope and Nevin been able to pack up their personal bits and leave the building, then tell their families, agents, friends and players without a leak? At least doing it at the training centre kept it away from prying eyes.

In the same (ludicrous) way that some suggested that CH should have been told before the City match (so he could wave goodbye to the fans !!!) this shows that there is no perfect way. It’s damage limitation and we move on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because with social media this could have been leaked within minutes of CH being informed and leaving the building.

The most important person in this is CH, not us, not the players nor the staff. CH would need to be informed and then the news rolled out to all and sundry.

You can guarantee that if they allowed a couple of hours between CH being given the bad news and the press conference that it would have been leaked, then the amount of whinging on here about the club not being on the ball would have been biblical .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a moment when only Bloom, his directors and Hughton knew. I struggle to believe anyone of this lot would have leaked the news whilst they were contacting other key people. And if anyone did simply say “no comment” until you have notified others. You can’t always control social media, the club should be able to control their official channels.....which is what my point is about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In theory yes but as Deportivo says the “unsubstantiated” news would have spread like wildfire and the club would’ve lost control of the comms.

Why and how would an angry and disappointed Hughton, Trollope and Nevin been able to pack up their personal bits and leave the building, then tell their families, agents, friends and players without a leak? At least doing it at the training centre kept it away from prying eyes.

In the same (ludicrous) way that some suggested that CH should have been told before the City match (so he could wave goodbye to the fans !!!) this shows that there is no perfect way. It’s damage limitation and we move on.

See above.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Did anyone else hear that Maty went to school with Aron Moy? (Moy was a year ahead). Wonder if he would influence Aron coming to us if we went after him? Apologies if this connection has been highlighted before.

Weren't we after him 2 years ago and he turned us down? Maty was already signed then.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There was a moment when only Bloom, his directors and Hughton knew.

I wouldn’t be so sure. HR, legal advisors, confidentes of the directors. Trollope and Nevin would have been informed, probably at the same time as CH. A press release will have been prepared. Security will have been alerted.

It’s standard practice for every senior dismissal. Not just football.

D

Deleted member 2719

Don't get why Ryan feels the need to stir the s*it???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For a club that prides itself on how it runs its business this is a monumental clusterjiggyjig. For the players to learn from the press that their direct line Manager has been fired is just plain wrong. It brings to mind the worst excesses of David Brent.

I don’t care how hard it is, you find a way to tell them in person; ideally face to face. If it really is impossible to do it face to face, you call them, or, worst case, text them.

Mickey Mouse poor.

Not sure I'd go *that* far. The trend at the Albion seems to be the fewest number of people knowing what's going on. In this day and age, it's very difficult to keep things secret, so the only real way of letting the players know before anyone else was telling them all together, face-to-face at the same time as telling Chris, or issuing the press release. Bit difficult to do that the morning after they were (presumably) dismissed for the summer break.

It's not the first time we've heard this sort of story, so I'm guessing it's pretty common practice for news to be dispatched in such a way. I'm sure a football club isn't alone in doing things in this way. When a senior manager at a company is fired (and some of the staff aren't in the building at the time of the firing), I'm pretty sure someone would hear it from, say, the office gossip, before they read the email (if there was one) confirming it...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The players involved in the city game were unlikely to be in anyway.
Tbh, if I walked in to work and my boss had been fired it's no big deal, if he's a friend, I would have his number to call him, if he's not, I won't...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would hope that the firing didn't come as a total surprise to the players.

The first person who needed telling was Hughton then the process of notifying everybody else could start. If March was in the park, Ryan in the barbers etc., It is inevitable that some of the staff would find out via a third party.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

This.

So how the **** is the club supposed to do it? Round up CH and all the players so that when CH is sacked he can't rush off and tell his missus who then tells her friend and it is on Sky in 20 minutes before the players know? Are they supposed to tell CH and the players at the same time? In the same room or in separate rooms? Or maybe the club could send txts to all the players at the same time as CH is told he's sacked.

What the actual ****. I don't understand why [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] is so exercised about this. The manager has been sacked. He hasn't died. Nobody has died. FFS.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The players involved in the city game were unlikely to be in anyway.
Tbh, if I walked in to work and my boss had been fired it's no big deal, if he's a friend, I would have his number to call him, if he's not, I won't...

This.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This.

So how the **** is the club supposed to do it? Round up CH and all the players so that when CH is sacked he can't rush off and tell his missus who then tells her friend and it is on Sky in 20 minutes before the players know? Are they supposed to tell CH and the players at the same time? In the same room or in separate rooms? Or maybe the club could send txts to all the players at the same time as CH is told he's sacked.

What the actual ****. I don't understand why [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] is so exercised about this. The manager has been sacked. He hasn't died. Nobody has died. FFS.

A text message to each player? Solly said it was a Sky Sports alert so he was checking his phone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

phoenix

May 18, 2009
There was discussion of this topic on another thread on the day (or day after) CH was fired in which it was stated that both Bozza and Not Andy Naylor knew of the dismissal before the players. Also on that thread it was stated that the non-playing staff received an email informing them of CH’s dismissal.

I held fire until this thread. There are now five separate reports of the players finding out by the press.

No smoke without fire. Not unduly hasty criticism of the club either, imo.

Everyone knew my wife was having an affair before me. She really should have told me first. Or a lest sent me a text.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A text message to each player? Solly said it was a Sky Sports alert so he was checking his phone.

Who told Sky? I assume the club.

So the club told the world before contacting the players. As others have said, so what? I don't expect a heads up if my boss is about to be sacked. When the players say 'this was the first I heard about it' this is simply a statement of fact. 'I was shocked by the news' .... well they would be shocked, however they heard the news. This is what news that is a shock does to people.

"I am disgusted and will never play for the Albion again. I have handed in a transfer request" was said by nobody. Not one player has handed in a transfer request.

I think one or two on here seem to have decided to be offended on behalf of players who are not offended, and have decided to attack the club as a consequence. Rediculous. Move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here