Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really? When was the last time we sold a striker to a rival to help them finish above us?

Dobbie and Murray ( who may not have been sold but we didn't do enough to keep him) how could you forget?

If Barnes goes to Burnley he WILL help them stay above us.

Ex Albion strikers being instrumental in our rivals finishing above us looks like becoming the norm.

Last edited:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
No offence. But you are utterly mental.

Please explain?

Can you not see that we have spent £5m on Ulloa and CMS in the search to replace Murray plus their higher wage packets than Murray?

How is that mental.

Also Letter two central defenders go for not much who are now regular championship starters, how is that a good idea?

Poor management of the squad which will cost us lots of £...... In the long run.

Paying a player a little bit more to keep him rather than shelling out loads trying to replace them is stupid

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Please explain?

Can you not see that we have spent £5m on Ulloa and CMS in the search to replace Murray plus their higher wage packet that Murray?

How is that mental.

Also Letter two central defenders go for not much who are now regular championship starters, how is that a good idea?

Poor management of the squad which will cost us lots of £...... In the long run.

Paying a player a little bit more to keep him rather than shelling out loads trying to replace them is stupid

Leo is a better player than Murray. Neither will be on more than Murray wanted, so the wage packet argument is out.
Champion Cook if you want, but Elphick would be nowhere near our team.

The 'management of the squad' was Poyet, who is no longer here (as I imagine you are aware). Burke & Barber weren't at the club at the time.

So...who's your beef with?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
SSN Suggest Fee Agreed with Burnley for Ashley Barnes

palace may not have finished above us, but we sold them Dobbie and they went up.

Dobbie and Murray ( who may not have been sold but we didn't do enough to keep him) how could you forget?

Palace finished below us both seasons.

I haven't forgotten that when we sold Dobbie Palace were looking good to finish in the top 2 and were 9 points ahead of us; they ended up 3 points behind us and had to win on the last day to ensure they didn't drop to 7th. Dobbie didn't play in the playoffs so can not be credited with that. Meanwhile, the wages we wasted on Dobbie and the 850k transfer fee came in very useful in getting Upson on loan.

We didn't sell Murray; he didn't sign a new contract on left on a free, which is exactly what Barnes would have done.

Let's not re-write history and have some faith in the management. They seem to know what they're doing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

If Barnes goes to Burnley he WILL help them stay above us.

Ex Albion strikers being instrumental in our rivals finishing above us is becoming the norm.

I think his point was that palace didn't finish above us.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
El-Abd, Greer and Upson are better than Tommy Elphick. Have you seen how many goals Bournemouth have shipped this season?!
I always rated Cook and think he could have done a job, but our defence is pretty much the best in the league for the second year running.

We'll be replacing the current crop with a lot more quality than Bournemouth possess.

I'm not saying Elphick is better, but what did we get for him?

We have let far to many players leave to easily or for relatively little that is the point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Leo is a better player than Murray. Neither will be on more than Murray wanted, so the wage packet argument is out.
Champion Cook if you want, but Elphick would be nowhere near our team.

The 'management of the squad' was Poyet, who is no longer here (as I imagine you are aware). Burke & Barber weren't at the club at the time.

So...who's your beef with?

David Burke has been here since Jan2012, Barber since June 2012. We lost Elphick & Hall under their watch.

Chris Boden ‏@bodenknights 7m
Right, as [MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus has reported, Barnes medical passed and terms agreed, but we await confirmation

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

True but without Murray and Dobbie they wouldn't even have made the playoffs, poor argument.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Yes Ulloa is better but we have waited 2 seasons and spent £5m to get to this point and helped our biggest rivals get to the prem and pocket £120m in the process.

Are you telling me Tony and co had no influence in what Poyet did?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Palace finished below us both seasons.

I haven't forgotten that when we sold Dobbie Palace were looking good to finish in the top 2 and were 9 points ahead of us; they ended up 3 points behind us and had to win on the last day to ensure they didn't drop to 7th. Dobbie didn't play in the playoffs so can not be credited with that. Meanwhile, the wages we wasted on Dobbie and the 850k transfer fee came in very useful in getting Upson on loan.

We didn't sell Murray; he didn't sign a new contract on left on a free, which is exactly what Barnes would have done.

Let's not re-write history and have some faith in the management. They seem to know what they're doing.

Yeah but they wouldn't even have made the playoffs without them

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm not saying Elphick is better, but what did we get for him?

We have let far to many players leave to easily or for relatively little that is the point.

:shrug: £100k? No idea. Much as we liked Tommy, he wasn't going to be up to the standard that we required so we cashed in.
Murray was regretful, obviously. I don't think Poyet believed that he would leave.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It was partially. It was more that history has been re-written about how effective Dobbie was at Palace - have we all forgotten that they didn't score a goal for something like 5 weeks in March-April??

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Please explain?

Can you not see that we have spent £5m on Ulloa and CMS in the search to replace Murray plus their higher wage packets than Murray?

How is that mental.

It's ok you stating poor management of the squad but while these decisions are being made we keep improving season after season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It was partially. It was more that history has been re-written about how effective Dobbie was at Palace - have we all forgotten that they didn't score a goal for something like 5 weeks in March-April??

I am a bit vague on this but without Dobbie's goals they would have finished outside the playoffs. So Murray go them up ther and Dobbie kept them up there. Shit business from the Albion on both fronts IMO.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
SSN Suggest Fee Agreed with Burnley for Ashley Barnes

Yeah but they wouldn't even have made the playoffs without them

Give me strength. Of course they would; they were top 3 when he arrived. He helped them drop 2 places. Palace would've finished top 6 with or without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here