Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Jess Glynne: Serial Sicknote

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Why do users come into threads like this again and again to announce they don’t like/know popular culture?

It’s no reflection on the award-winning, multimillion-selling, arena-touring artist, is it?

You’re just saying you’re out of touch. We get it. Try the 78rpm thread.

As someone who hates it when people comment on England match threads only to say how much they don't care about England I understand where you're coming from - but so what? What's so wrong with people not knowing the name of every little pop moppet who's had a few hits? I opened this thread thinking that Jess Glynne was a player we were after who had a bad injury record, I now know she's a singer. Thanks for the info.

BTW I hadn't heard of Ariana Grande until the Manchester bomb.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I remember Jon Bon Jovi talking about tours where for weeks he couldn't get close to some of the high notes in their songs, but they would just carry on anyway. He could probably get away with throwing the mic towards the audience to all sing the lines "Whoa-hoa LIVING on a prayer" but Jess can't really do that so much.

We saw Bon Jovi at Wembley last Friday night, and they put on a superb performance I have to say. My wife is the big fan (Im not that fussed these days) but you could see the effort JBJ was putting in, and the strain it was putting on his voice, performing some of the tracks. My wife was surprised they did Always, because apparently JBJ has always said it puts far too much stress on his vocal cords & he refuses to sing it. Was excellent though...not bad for an old fella!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We saw Bon Jovi at Wembley last Friday night, and they put on a superb performance I have to say. My wife is the big fan (Im not that fussed these days) but you could see the effort JBJ was putting in, and the strain it was putting on his voice, performing some of the tracks. My wife was surprised they did Always, because apparently JBJ has always said it puts far too much stress on his vocal cords & he refuses to sing it. Was excellent though...not bad for an old fella!

He's incredible really. I honestly don't know how his voice has survived, as the strain of their back catalogue.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As someone who hates it when people comment on England match threads only to say how much they don't care about England I understand where you're coming from - but so what? What's so wrong with people not knowing the name of every little pop moppet who's had a few hits? I opened this thread thinking that Jess Glynne was a player we were after who had a bad injury record, I now know she's a singer. Thanks for the info.

Of course, we all go into threads to learn about things/people we don't know about it.

Just find it odd that that some users feel the need to then comment on and then dismiss stars they've never heard of like it's a reflection of that act's ability/popularity/success - when, typically, it's a reflection on that posters' lack of awareness of popular culture in 2019.

(With the shoe on the other foot, imagine if a dozen teens hit the Damned thread and wrote "Who?", "Who cares?", "Punk is shit, grandad").

Anyway... I genuinely find this pop culture stuff interesting.

Jess Glynne is not in any way cutting edge or 'upcoming'. She's mainstream. She's established. She's played regularly (apparently) on Radio 2, Virgin and Magic. She was nominated for five BRITs last year (looked it up). She was supposed to headline the Isle of Wight festival. She has BILLIONS of YouTube views. If the London Olympics was tomorrow, she'd be singing in the opening ceremony.

And yet, apparently, some (many?) on here haven't heard of her.

Perhaps this is simply a reflection of a diluted modern media? Bring back Top of the Pops!!

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of course, we all go into threads to learn about things/people we don't know about it.

Just find it odd that that some users feel the need to then comment on and then dismiss stars they've never heard of like it's a reflection of that act's ability/popularity/success - when, typically, it's a reflection on that posters' lack of awareness of popular culture in 2019.

(With the shoe on the other foot, imagine if a dozen teens hit the Damned thread and wrote "Who?", "Who cares?", "Punk is shit, grandad").

Jess Glynne is not in any way cutting edge or 'upcoming'. She's mainstream. She's established. She's played regularly (apparently) on Radio 2, Virgin and Magic. She was nominated for five BRITs last year (looked it up). She was supposed to headline the Isle of Wight festival. She has BILLIONS of YouTube views. If the London Olympics was tomorrow, she'd be singing in the opening ceremony.

Perhaps this is simply a reflection of a diluted modern media? Bring back Top of the Pops!!
I think that sums it up. with the digital fragmentation, the rise of on-demand TV and the vast plethora of TV and radio stations we haven't got that shared popular culture any more. For my part I never listen to any of the radio stations you mentioned. I never watch the Brits, nor do I look up (or care) who won what. (Ditto the Oscars, Tonys, Grammys, BAFTAs etc). Apart from NSC I'm not on social media, and I shan't watch a single minute of the coverage of Glastonbury or Wimbledon.

I have my own hobbies and interests same as everyone, but following popular culture isn't one of them; although I do pick up on some current stuff (I like The Idles for example).

(BTW Being an old prog rocker I was never much of a fan of TOTP though. Too commercial!)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Some people also seem to think of it as a badge of honour in a way few other entertainment mediums are treated. I've heard people say "I've not listened to any new music since the 1980s" and think that's somehow a good thing. Can't imagine any serious film person saying "I've not watched a new movie since 1973" and still thinking their opinions are in any way relevant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't imagine any serious film person saying "I've not watched a new movie since 1973" and still thinking their opinions are in any way relevant.

You clearly haven't met my in-laws...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Some people also seem to think of it as a badge of honour in a way few other entertainment mediums are treated. I've heard people say "I've not listened to any new music since the 1980s" and think that's somehow a good thing. Can't imagine any serious film person saying "I've not watched a new movie since 1973" and still thinking their opinions are in any way relevant.

Indeed. I think a lot of 50- and 60-somethings, in particular, define themselves by music of their youth - and many of them simply aren't open to new music.

(I'm generalising, of course)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
(BTW Being an old prog rocker I was never much of a fan of TOTP though. Too commercial!)

Out of interest, would you have been watching in, say, 1985?

And would your parents have known who Boy George was?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ha. Or my dad.

*Watching any science fiction film*

"Well that wouldn't happen..."

Haha.

With my in-laws it's an endless "They don't make them like this anymore" "Absolute classic" about anything pre-70s/80s. Why not just say what you're really thinking;

"I wish I was still young."

That's all it boils down to, a lot of the time. And that's fine, but just be honest with yourself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Reckon the split isn't so much along lines of age, rather than along the lines of receptiveness to new and/or different stuff. Some have that receptiveness, some don't. Doesn't make you a good or bad person either way.

The have to say that HWT is being given a shoo-in on musical equivalent of foisting your highly personal - and invariably naff - mix tape on somebody who don't give a shit, now that [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] seems to have stopped posting. Might be wrong, but reckon HWT has lost the NSC dressing room. There's a certain level of desperation in his musical post-watershed postings. HWT OUT!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reckon the split isn't so much along lines of age, rather than along the lines of receptiveness to new and/or different stuff. Some have that receptiveness, some don't. Doesn't make you a good or bad person either way.

The have to say that HWT is being given a shoo-in on musical equivalent of foisting your highly personal - and invariably naff - mix tape on somebody who don't give a shit, now that [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] seems to have stopped posting. Might be wrong, but reckon HWT has lost the NSC dressing room. There's a certain level of desperation in his musical post-watershed postings. HWT OUT!

Lol at HWT losing the NSC dressing room. These are a good song

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, not about being good or bad.

I reckon advertising folk will tell you that age is absolutely linked to openness to try new things - over 40s less likely to switch car brand than under 40s, for example.

A hard thing to admit to yourself though, I guess.

A 42yo friend is into music and goes to a fair few gigs each year. It took me to point out that all of the acts he saw last year became famous last century. :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Ha! Nothing! In 1985 I was 27/28 and playing keyboards in a band that were playing sort-of Elvis Costello style songs and getting absolutely nowhere as it was woefully unfashionable. We had no interest in chart music of the era and we sat around moaning about the demise of 'proper' music.

And yes, my parents knew about Boy George. My dad hated anything with an electric guitar in it, but, because of the 'shared culture' thing, he'd at least heard of bands like the Beatles and Stones (and later on the Pistols and Clash). BTW I'm taking my Mum to Rod Stewart in July. I'm not a fan, but she loves him even though she was in her late 30s / early 40s when he broke through.

I've actually got really bored with the pop music of my youth, I hardly listen to anything now that I listened to back in the 70s or 80s. I still like a lot of 90s dance music, especially the ambient stuff, and I'm always open to new (to me) things. I say new 'to me' as in the last few years I've got heavily into opera. Didn't see that coming even five years ago, despite the fact I've always preferred 'classical' music to pop.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Agreed. Research has shown that when it comes to music most people (not all) are reluctant to move out of their generational music comfort zone and the analogy with film is a good one. Ditto books and TV programmes.

The other side of the coin though is sad old men going clubbing to try and prove they're still 'current'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here