Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Isn’t the annual increment from being PL circa £105m? Of which a third to a half often disappears in increased payroll costs.

Being in the PL often brings in extra income in increased Advertising Revenue. Sponsors tend to pay more when you get to that level and Overseas marketing in theory should start to increase.

Gate receipts tend to stay higher. The whole extra marketing value tends to rise but it varies from club to club.

In theory all sources and streams of income should rise. Not only the TV deals. Even where you finish in the League brings in greater income.

Brighton's policing costs are also less than most clubs due to having a good fan base reputation in terms of trouble at matches. There are so many more untapped avenues open to raise revenue when in the PL

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But not why we are where we are?

Quite possibly but we weren't in that position in December. That's why continuing with a more open formation could have been suicidal to continue with it. You were suggesting in your post, continuing with it, even though we were hurtling towards the relegation zone with it - it had to be ''arrested''

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Quite possibly but we weren't in that position in December. That's why continuing with a more open formation could have been suicidal to continue with it. You were suggesting in your post, continuing with it, even though we were hurtling towards the relegation zone with it - it had to be ''arrested''
All about opinions isn't it? Obviously Chris Hughton shares yours, but as I said late December and January were always going to be tough, I thought we done really well, if we had continued with it, as the players became more familiar with it, I think we would have been getting better results than we are now. Reverting to a defensive approach cost us against Southampton, Cardiff and even Newcastle. Mibbies aye mibbies naw, we'll never know for sure. I'm sure Chris has done what he feels is right at every turn, but ultimately it's his decision and it's he who carries the can when it goes tits up

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All I know is since St Patrick's Day this season has been painful to experience.

Hope palace get a point or 3 on Saturday, then I can get back to enjoying going to football.

If we go down, he has to go. If we stay up, he needs to sort out the squad.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Indeed, but lets not kid ourselves.

We couldn't have played any worse if we tried.

I think for most of the second half we were back to the level we were at before the slump. I appreciate that may not be good enough for you.
You seem to think that the players at our disposal could play a much more successful and entertaining style of football, if only we had a manager who played more attacking tactics.
What makes you think this?

I love all of the players in our squad, but they all have limitations.
The only players I can see being slightly held back are Propper and March. I don't think unleashing their full potential would make that much difference to our results.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
He played on the right hand side of midfield in Germany? Then how come he looked so utterly confused about how to play the role for 30 minutes until the tactical change?

The bigger question is why someone who has been in a managerial role as long as he has is trying something so utterly nonsensical tactically this far into his term as manager in such a crucial fixture? It screams of a man who has run out of attacking ideas.

Yes. He regularly played here for Ingolstadt under Hassenhutl (the same manger many on here seem to be calling an attacking genius).
I had no problem with him trying something different but it was obvious many would criticise him if it didn't work. He also gets criticism for doing the same thing all the time from others. The phrase damned if he does, damned if he doesn't comes to mind

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Being in the PL often brings in extra income in increased Advertising Revenue. Sponsors tend to pay more when you get to that level and Overseas marketing in theory should start to increase.

Gate receipts tend to stay higher. The whole extra marketing value tends to rise but it varies from club to club.

In theory all sources and streams of income should rise. Not only the TV deals. Even where you finish in the League brings in greater income.

Brighton's policing costs are also less than most clubs due to having a good fan base reputation in terms of trouble at matches. There are so many more untapped avenues open to raise revenue when in the PL

From finishing 15th.

DC3A1AEC-F2E3-4CE2-8B23-15292BBE1455.png

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes. He regularly played here for Ingolstadt under Hassenhutl (the same manger many on here seem to be calling an attacking genius).
I had no problem with him trying something different but it was obvious many would criticise him if it didn't work. He also gets criticism for doing the same thing all the time from others. The phrase damned if he does, damned if he doesn't comes to mind

I think you're missing the point. Trying something new isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing. Trying a tactical plan that simply doesn't add up even on paper isn't a good thing though. He nullified our whole right hand side from the get go. It doesn't take a football genius to see that. And if you nullify one of your wings before you've even stepped on to the pitch at this level, then teams will quickly realise and capitalise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All about opinions isn't it? Obviously Chris Hughton shares yours, but as I said late December and January were always going to be tough, I thought we done really well, if we had continued with it, as the players became more familiar with it, I think we would have been getting better results than we are now. Reverting to a defensive approach cost us against Southampton, Cardiff and even Newcastle. Mibbies aye mibbies naw, we'll never know for sure. I'm sure Chris has done what he feels is right at every turn, but ultimately it's his decision and it's he who carries the can when it goes tits up

We pushed Stephen, Propper and Montoya into the opposition half against Cardiff from the off, leading to their critical opening goal.

It was a far cry from the mass, deep defence, which yielded so many results from Sept 17 to Dec 18.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Name 3 better managers we've EVER had? I'll wait .....

By "thinking like a League One side" I take it you mean, ah but we can attract much better managers these days. Hmm, ask Man Utd how that's been going lately. And they can attract the very best, but they've had none since Fergie that I'd like to see replace CH, including their current guy.

As for the dreaming that we could be playing beautiful football higher up the League .... that comes down to TB. No-one is up there doing that with paying bigger transfer fees, and higher wages.

Maybe you are younger than me, and therefore don't remember, but much of what you say sends the words "Charlton Athletic" rushing through my brain. Or if that doesn't ring any bells, how about the old Aesop Fable of the animal with the fish in their mouth, but they think they see a bigger fish, in the water and go for that instead. But it's not a bigger fish, it was a reflection of the fish you had, but have now cast aside. Careful what you wish for my friend.

I don't need to. We've not been a side in this position for a long, long time. But NOW we are in this position. Now we aren't a side that requires an excellent Championship manager. Instead, we need an excellent Premier League manager, and CH has proven many times over in the last two seasons that he's not that. A passable one maybe, but can he be improved upon? Absolutely!

And as I've stated many times over, there are just as many situations where clubs have changed manager to good effect. Just because Man Utd are struggling with it doesn't mean we will, relatively speaking of course.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think you're missing the point. Trying something new isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing. Trying a tactical plan that simply doesn't add up even on paper isn't a good thing though. He nullified our whole right hand side from the get go. It doesn't take a football genius to see that. And if you nullify one of your wings before you've even stepped on to the pitch at this level, then teams will quickly realise and capitalise.

Many people were very happy with the team before kick off.
Clearly the idea was to have pace on the left and creativity on the right with 2 strikers providing an attacking threat.
Beckham was slow as anything but I'm pretty sure playing him on the right didn't nullify an attacking threat.
Given the amount of chances that Gross created from that position in Germany I don't think it was a bad idea.
To be honest I also don't think playing Gross there was why we were so poor. I think it more to do with the fact that the whole team simply played awful and were backing off for the whole 45 minutes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For me it just showed that we can play a different way, and do so successfully. We have the players (although perhaps not the squad) to compete outside the top 6 playing attacking and high paced football.

I'm mightily relieved CH changed things at half time on Saturday and we were a lot better, but still only created one attempt on target. We are a long long way behind Leicester, Everton and Wolves although have picked up points against all three this season.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
I clicked on reply before reading the second comma, reason? Who gives a tuppeny (being nice) about history? We were shit last season, we are shit this season. We are a good Championship side under Hughton, but we are not there now. It's done and dusted, for now. Ok I shall read the rest now. Yes I am sure he has done his best to keep us in the division but his best is not good enough, can you not see this? What has business acumen to do with anything PL?

We are a good Championship side like other sides in the bottom half of the Premiership who cannot afford to match the super sides in this league,the choice is grind out boring matches in our present league or drop down to the Championship to enjoy open,attacking entertaining football,Chris can continue whichever league we are in

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
We pushed Stephen, Propper and Montoya into the opposition half against Cardiff from the off, leading to their critical opening goal.

It was a far cry from the mass, deep defence, which yielded so many results from Sept 17 to Dec 18.
That's very true, we were caught on the counter again, just as we were against Burnley, but does that mean we should just cling on for the rest of our time in this division until the inevitable happens?

After that goal we collapsed, having been the team looking more likely to score, we conceded and what followed was inexcusable imho, that was a team bereft of confidence, it almost looked like they had downed tools and just accepted defeat.

It's harsh on Hughton, I know, but it's his job to pick them up, get them to believe in themselves, make changes if necessary to get back into the game, that didn't happen, we went from looking good to shit due to one goal, second half was just as bad if not worse, some will blame the players, some blame the manager.

Look at the turn around for Fulham in the game against us, 0-2 down at half time, second half they threw everything at us, really went for it, and got the result in what for them was a must win game, Cardiff was a must not lose game for us, what response was their from our players? Win that game and we wouldn't even be discussing this today, it would have been finished.

As I said earlier, changing back to a defensive approach when we were looking good at a tough stage of the season, even against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, has cost us, we should have stuck with it, in my opinion (and that's all it is) we would have got better and better, far far better than we are now. As I said earlier it's all about opinions, in mine the very same players who looked bereft of ability and confidence against Cardiff, held Arsenal and gave Chelsea a bloody good game, but got done on the Counter against Burnley, one game, that was enough to retreat back into our defensive mindset, I don't believe for one minute the players took that decision.

D

Deleted member 2719

I thought you'd voted with your feet for the birthday shirt? You can't double protest!

I thought it was because you didn't get a freebie shirt?

Sorry I didn't mean to mislead you but I didn't want to bore anyone anymore on the detail.
In short I gave up my season ticket because of Hughtons style of football and I still came to the odd match with my whole family (including the daughter that didn't get her birthday shirt), then shirtgate happened and the inability of corporate Barber and the lack of customer service from his dictatorship to move an inch (like we give you an extra 20% off as a goodwill gesture).

It was that point i felt, stuff you I will spend my money and time elsewhere so got a personal trainer instead and from that day I have not spent 1 penny with the Albion.

Like i have said in the past, with me it goes against my principles and they are high on my agenda of life and these stuck their heads in the air and took control.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's very true, we were caught on the counter again, just as we were against Burnley, but does that mean we should just cling on for the rest of our time in this division until the inevitable happens?
No, it means we need to learn how to attack without completely losing our shape when we lose the ball, or add some pace to help recover when we lose the ball. I think we were being countered by Newcastle and Bissouma fought hard to get back which helped prevent conceding again. I'm hopeful that small changes can be made to allow us to attack without being so fragile.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

After that goal we collapsed, having been the team looking more likely to score, we conceded and what followed was inexcusable imho, that was a team bereft of confidence, it almost looked like they had downed tools and just accepted defeat.

It's harsh on Hughton, I know, but it's his job to pick them up, get them to believe in themselves, make changes if necessary to get back into the game, that didn't happen, we went from looking good to shit due to one goal, second half was just as bad if not worse, some will blame the players, some blame the manager.

Look at the turn around for Fulham in the game against us, 0-2 down at half time, second half they threw everything at us, really went for it, and got the result in what for them was a must win game, Cardiff was a must not lose game for us, what response was their from our players? Win that game and we wouldn't even be discussing this today, it would have been finished.

As I said earlier, changing back to a defensive approach when we were looking good at a tough stage of the season, even against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, has cost us, we should have stuck with it, in my opinion (and that's all it is) we would have got better and better, far far better than we are now. As I said earlier it's all about opinions, in mine the very same players who looked bereft of ability and confidence against Cardiff, held Arsenal and gave Chelsea a bloody good game, but got done on the Counter against Burnley, one game, that was enough to retreat back into our defensive mindset, I don't believe for one minute the players took that decision.

I think we need better players in key positions to achieve that attacking approach to games and pull it off. Hopefully TB will deliver that this summer.

That’s regardless of whoever the manager is.

Whether it be Hughton, Carvahal, Pardew, Wagner, Hughes, Pulis or Ranieri in the hot seat when we reconvene, they will all need:

a) Pace in CM.
b) Instinctive creativity in ACM, allied with pace.
c) A PL standard RB who can actually defend, as sadly Bruno is near the end of his footballing days.
d) A PL standard CF who can hold the line and score a load of vital goals, with Muzza similarly nearing the end of his top flight career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here