Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lactose free diet has transformed my life

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Prompted by the resurfaced haemorrhoid thread...

OK so I have been suffering for 25 years with a lively bottom.

In 2001, doubling up with stabbing pains to the left lower abdomen, I got a 'clinical diagnosis' of diverticulosis. This means pockets in the lower bowel, causing problems (sudden pain, sudden need to shit) especially in the morning.....

So I changed to a high fibre diet. Pain disappeared.....

But the frequency of morning shits slowly increased over the years. To the point where if the train to work had 'no working toilets' (a super special here on the north Kent railway to Hell) I had to go home instead of work.

Early this year, having reached a preposterous seven shits before ten in the morning, I went back to the doc. Cancer? A camera up the arse said 'no'. It also said my colon was as smooth as a baby's forehead. No diverticulosis. What the actual fark?

An old mate of mine told me 20 years ago that milk was for children. Adults metabolise lactose with bacteria that irritate the bowel. '**** off, you silly tart' I said.

In January I though what the ****. Let's try it. Lovely lactose free semi skimmed at Sainsbury. Jobbies a good un?

Within three days my bowel returned to a motion and productivity I had 40 years ago. I accidentally had a cafe au lait a couple of weeks ago and spent three days on the donought in granny's greenhouse, a situation that reverted after I gave my head (and attention to milk) a wobble.

Trust me, you over 35s. This is life changing. Milk is for children. I would be rude to not share this with you.

HWT

As a fellow diverticulosis sufferer, thanks for the info. No doctor (and I've seen many on this issue) has ever mentioned that, I'll give it a whirl. The only food specific advise I was ever given was to avoid tomatoes as the pips can get stuck in the pockets and exacerbate the problem.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Men rarely talk about their health, so this is a good thing.

I recommend the older people use the bowel screening kits that are sent out, as the earlier it is found, the easier it is to cure.

Yes.....excellent advice.....and check your paperwork regularly for spots/flecks of blood. These can be very small, so look carefully. They can indicate polyps or piles but more importantly ( as in my case ) bowel cancer. It was only after seeing a few flecks of blood for the second or third time that I decided to go to the doctor and I wasn't always inspecting down below. I felt fine, great, in rude health. I was a C on the ' Dukes ' scale of bowel cancer ( D is where it has spread to other vital organs and is in the final stage )

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
that seems highly dubious, im sure milk is sterile and gains bacteria from the environment.

From www.realmilk.com

"Raw milk contains many components that kill pathogens and strengthen the immune system. These include lacto-peroxidase, lacto-ferrin, anti-microbial components of blood (leukocytes, B-macrophages, neutrophils, T-lymphocytes, immunoglobulins and antibodies), special carbohydrates (polysaccharides and oligosaccharides), special fats (medium chain fatty acids, phospholipids and spingolipids), complement enzymes, lysozyme, hormones, growth factors, mucins, fibronectin, glycomacropeptide, beneficial bacteria, bifidus factor and B12-binding protein. These components are largely inactivated by the heat of pasteurization and ultrapasteurization.
This five-fold protective system destroys pathogens in the milk, stimulates the Immune system, builds healthy gut wall, prevents absorption of pathogens and toxins in the gut and ensures assimilation of all the nutrients."

It really is a superfood.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Prompted by the resurfaced haemorrhoid thread...

OK so I have been suffering for 25 years with a lively bottom.

In 2001, doubling up with stabbing pains to the left lower abdomen, I got a 'clinical diagnosis' of diverticulosis. This means pockets in the lower bowel, causing problems (sudden pain, sudden need to shit) especially in the morning.....

So I changed to a high fibre diet. Pain disappeared.....

But the frequency of morning shits slowly increased over the years. To the point where if the train to work had 'no working toilets' (a super special here on the north Kent railway to Hell) I had to go home instead of work.

Early this year, having reached a preposterous seven shits before ten in the morning, I went back to the doc. Cancer? A camera up the arse said 'no'. It also said my colon was as smooth as a baby's forehead. No diverticulosis. What the actual fark?

An old mate of mine told me 20 years ago that milk was for children. Adults metabolise lactose with bacteria that irritate the bowel. '**** off, you silly tart' I said.

In January I though what the ****. Let's try it. Lovely lactose free semi skimmed at Sainsbury. Jobbies a good un?

Within three days my bowel returned to a motion and productivity I had 40 years ago. I accidentally had a cafe au lait a couple of weeks ago and spent three days on the donought in granny's greenhouse, a situation that reverted after I gave my head (and attention to milk) a wobble.

Trust me, you over 35s. This is life changing. Milk is for children. I would be rude to not share this with you.

HWT

Yep agree wifey kins been lactose free for a while now due to loose issues and everything is now fine. Have found most coffee shops use lactose free milk if requested
Or that's what they tell us. No wonder you were always angry

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a fellow diverticulosis sufferer, thanks for the info. No doctor (and I've seen many on this issue) has ever mentioned that, I'll give it a whirl. The only food specific advise I was ever given was to avoid tomatoes as the pips can get stuck in the pockets and exacerbate the problem.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

When I was diagnosed with divertilosis it was a 'clinical' diagnosis - meaning based on the opinion of the GP. When I told this to the consultant in January he just laughed. I had had the symptoms but the camera proved I did not actually have the condition. Mind you I am not complaining that it forced me to change my diet in 2001, to a largely fish and veg based one - no processed food (microwave kormas.....mmmm!).

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If you have had a night on the lash , especially if on wine or spirits or if you have had the screamers or been sick , or done a course of antibiotics it’s important to drink a Yakult type drink or eat some live yoghurt. All the above kill the good bacteria in your gut and it needs replacing.

To relieve a hangover:

Live yoghurt or yakult
2 x Rehydration sachets in water , each one half an hour apart.
2 soft boiled eggs, no toast, no tea, no coffee.
Shower
Fresh air

Your guts and head will be right before you know it.

From the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-support/hangover-cures/

Hangover treatment

'Dealing with a hangover involves rehydrating the body to help it deal with the painful symptoms. The best time to rehydrate is before going to sleep after a drinking session.
Painkillers can help with headaches and muscle cramps.
Sugary foods may help you feel less trembly. In some cases, an antacid may be needed to settle your stomach first.
Bouillon soup, a thin vegetable-based broth, is a good source of vitamins and minerals, which can top up depleted resources. Its main advantage is it's easy for a fragile stomach to digest.
You can replace lost fluids by drinking bland liquids that are easy on the digestive system, such as water, soda water and isotonic drinks.'

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think, whatever our individual complaints, we can probably all agree Diet has a huge effect on our health. When I’m on healthy form , eating mainly a Mediterranean style diet with healthy oils, fish and plenty of salad and veg , all cooked simply, I feel so much better. I can lapse into process food, bacon and little veg and I really feel the difference.
And yes, allergies and intolerances can raise their heads at any time in life.
The important thing is to be self aware, look for changes, get regular check ups and adjust if you have to.

A good thread.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I think, whatever our individual complaints, we can probably all agree Diet has a huge effect on our health. When I’m on healthy form , eating mainly a Mediterranean style diet with healthy oils, fish and plenty of salad and veg , all cooked simply, I feel so much better. I can lapse into process food, bacon and little veg and I really feel the difference.
And yes, allergies and intolerances can raise their heads at any time in life.
The important thing is to be self aware, look for changes, get regular check ups and adjust if you have to.

A good thread.

Meat and animal fat is OK too, as long as it is grass-fed, hormone-free and not processed. It makes a huge difference to its nutrition content and digestibility. I love bacon so get mine sent from a Scottish butcher who makes it pure in the old-fashioned way.

I agree - good thread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes.....excellent advice.....and check your paperwork regularly for spots/flecks of blood. These can be very small, so look carefully. They can indicate polyps or piles but more importantly ( as in my case ) bowel cancer. It was only after seeing a few flecks of blood for the second or third time that I decided to go to the doctor and I wasn't always inspecting down below. I felt fine, great, in rude health. I was a C on the ' Dukes ' scale of bowel cancer ( D is where it has spread to other vital organs and is in the final stage )

I 'got lucky' when a large bowel tumour was discovered by chance at the end of 2018, resulting in an 11 hour op just this February.

Blood tests at my GP's over recent years had been totally inadequate, so please never rely on your GP doing just that. Internal checks (a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy) and/or an MRI scan, are a must to detect bowel cancer. Although slow growing, bowel cancer gives a very high fatality rate once in Stage 3 or 4, killing 16,000 people in the UK per annum. Early detection is vital to save your life.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?370729-Prostate-health-drop-in-event-at-the-Amex-before-tomorrow-s-game/page2&highlight=bowel

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I suffer with diverticulitis and the one thing I swear by is aloe vera inner leaf juice. A tablespoon every morning and I'm generally pretty good as long as I stick with wholegrain and eat plenty of veg.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here