Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I can't be arsed to check through the previous several thousand posts to see if it's already been mentioned, but I would highly recommend watching on Netflix the film documentary called "The Great Hack".
It focuses on Cambridge Analytica's influence on the Trump and Brexit campaigns.
They clearly made the difference in the result, learning from the same pioneering tactics used for the successful Obama campaign.

They identified all the 'persuadable' voters who could be influenced to go and vote.
For any Brexit supporting Leave voters I accept that Bannon and Farage were ahead of the game with their tactics.
However what is patently clear in our new digital world is that there can never be a fair election again that isn't influenced by fake news being sent to identified people who will believe it.
I enjoy using Facebook, but it's very clear that it's been used as the main vehicle of mis-information, yet I still use it.
Basically we're f*cked and I think Carole Cadwallader should get some sort of super hero award for continuing to battle for the sake of good over evil.
Every voter should watch the film to understand how they have been dishonestly influenced.

I watched the programme with dismay, incredulity and anger.
Good post - and I agree that Carol Cadwalladr is a brave and honest journalist; it gives me hope to know that there are still some people of integrity investigating on our behalf.
The trouble is, some are beyond caring about how we arrived here.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
CABBBLLLEEE.PNG

Cable getting absolutely annihilated today, boys.

Get long here, ain't going 1.20!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Nice one, cheers all. So it's ****ed, then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Whatever mod runs this account is clearly using it as a front to appear to "mock" the original whilst protecting Nazi SCUM behind the scenes.

Wow - I'm sure El Pres will be over the moon at your pathetic accusation. You really are stupid aren't you ? I thought it was an act but clearly not.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Short extract from Guardian site:

Boris Johnson is refusing to sit down for talks with EU leaders until they agree to ditch the Irish backstop, despite invitations to meetings from the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and the French president, Emmanuel Macron.

His official spokeswoman said the prime minister had made clear that he wanted to strike a deal, but there was no point in holding face-to-face talks unless the EU agreed to reopen the withdrawal agreement.

What a total and utter bell-end.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Short extract from Guardian site:

Boris Johnson is refusing to sit down for talks with EU leaders until they agree to ditch the Irish backstop, despite invitations to meetings from the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and the French president, Emmanuel Macron.

His official spokeswoman said the prime minister had made clear that he wanted to strike a deal, but there was no point in holding face-to-face talks unless the EU agreed to reopen the withdrawal agreement.

What a total and utter bell-end.

Bellend he maybe, but it may well work given the economic data coming out of the EU and with Trump now clashing with the French over their digital tax. Any disruption to EU trade may tip them back over into a technical recession. Recent PMI suggests a big slow down in manufacturing demand and this could be a pressure point.

Additionally, the Irish are also getting majorly concerned about the prospect of a no deal brexit and they've not had a significant amount of reassurance from the EU. Any support from the European Stability Mechanism may piss off the states who've been forced to accept austerity as a result of receiving support from the ESM.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bellend he maybe, but it may well work given the economic data coming out of the EU and with Trump now clashing with the French over their digital tax. Any disruption to EU trade may tip them back over into a technical recession. Recent PMI suggests a big slow down in manufacturing demand and this could be a pressure point.

Additionally, the Irish are also getting majorly concerned about the prospect of a no deal brexit and they've not had a significant amount of reassurance from the EU. Any support from the European Stability Mechanism may piss off the states who've been forced to accept austerity as a result of receiving support from the ESM.

Not sure that this data (interesting as it is) presents a compelling case for engineering a breakdown in negotiations. This is poker masquerading as international trade (non) talks. It might just work but in the short term it simply destabilises economic decision-making (imagine the impact of this in Ellesmere Port). The EU has a draft Withdrawal Agreement on the table with the UK government and but for the headbangers in the Tory party this could have been singed, sealed and delivered. History might be a very harsh judge of these cowboys.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Not sure that this data (interesting as it is) presents a compelling case for engineering a breakdown in negotiations. This is poker masquerading as international trade (non) talks. It might just work but in the short term it simply destabilises economic decision-making (imagine the impact of this in Ellesmere Port). The EU has a draft Withdrawal Agreement on the table with the UK government and but for the headbangers in the Tory party this could have been singed, sealed and delivered. History might be a very harsh judge of these cowboys.

Absolutely, however, we're talking about hardliners and it's now very much a case of who'll blink first. The brexiteers will not be considering the short-term effects, it's not in their interests to openly admit the damage it will cause.

History will look more harshly on the hardliners than May.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brexit - a lunchtime conundrum

In an office there are 112 people. It is decided that they will all have a vote of what to have for lunch.
12 people are deliberately excluded from the vote because they are vegetarians, but will nevertheless have to put up with the lunch chosen and eat it.
52 people vote to get lunch from McDonalds. 48 people vote to get a bargain bucket from KFC.
It is therefore decided that lunch will be bought at McDonalds.

Of those 52, the motive to get lunch from McDonalds is based on the following wants of a meal;
- 15 want a Big Mac, fries and a Coke
- 10 want a Big Mac, fries and a milkshake
- 8 want a Filet o'Fish, fries & a Coke
- 7 want a Big Mac, salad and a Coke
- 7 want a Big Mac, salad and a milkshake
- 5 want a Filet o'Fish, salad and a Coke

15 people can therefore be said to want a Big Mac, fries & a coke from McDonalds for lunch. The other 97 people in the office do not want this. However they all now have to eat this lunch because to go against this would apparently be a betrayal of office democracy. This is in spite of the fact 12 are vegetarians, 14 cannot eat beef for religious reasons and 60 don't actually like Big Macs at all.

There's a flaw in the rational.

In your world you've allowed the 19 people to vote McDonalds AND salad.

Unless I'm very much mistaken those incarcerated in the loony bin aren't eligible to vote.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Possibly, I'm convinced it'll go back up; from what I'm reading about Ireland/EU, I think they're bricking the idea of a no deal. I think we could see the backstop being removed from the withdrawal agreement.

Economic data out of EU is not pretty in the slightest and the EU is in the gun sights of Trump.

But if the EU were to remove the backstop what happens at the end of the 2 year 'implementation' period. As far as I can see, Britain has to stay in the Customs Union or the EU try to operate a single market with completely open borders, neither of which I could see happening ? (Or do you think Britain will dump NI completely) ?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
But if the EU were to remove the backstop what happens at the end of the 2 year 'implementation' period. As far as I can see, Britain has to stay in the Customs Union or the EU try to operate a single market with completely open borders, neither of which I could see happening ? (Or do you think Britain will dump NI completely) ?

Personally, I think Northern Irish will be forgotten about. Especially given how many are just plainly ignoring the Scottish looking like a 2nd referendum is being proposed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Isn't it odd that we are putting more energy into discussing this issue than either of the campaigns did in 2016? Were they all asleep at the wheel?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here