Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy *** SIGNED on ONE YEAR LOAN DEAL ***

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Horses mouth:

'Huddersfield Head Coach Jan Siewert said: “Aaron was adamant that he wanted to test himself again in the Premier League when Brighton’s interest came in, and we didn’t want an issue where we had a disillusioned player on the pitch in the final year of his contract.

“We had to look after the interests of Huddersfield Town and couldn’t let him leave on a free at the end of the season, so him signing a new contract ahead of his loan move gives the Club and the player possibilities for the future.

“Good luck to him at Brighton this season.”

Fair enough, and a deal which works for everyone I think.

I'm personally actually much happier with the structure of this deal than I would have been if we paid out a fee of several £M to buy him. Maybe he'll be great for us in which case if all parties are happy we can buy him. Maybe he'll be decent for use for a season and we'll line up someone else next season with the longer term more in mind. Maybe it won't work out as we all hope, in which case no real harm done.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Excellent that Mooy is coming here, could well prove to be the final piece of the jigsaw + it looks like an excellent deal too - congrats to the recruitment team....good work all round.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The thing that concerns me is his motivation. On the assumption and hope he does well with us, he's put himself in an awkward position because for us to keep him will take a big fee, given he'll have 2 years left on his contract. Presumably the sell on clause City placed on the deal remains in tact so Huddersfield will need to add a premium to any fee to negate that. If Huddersfield don't get promoted, he goes back to them a Championship (or League 1, frankly, their squad is crap) club he's going to be stuck.

I'm not in any way shape or form blown away by this signing but I have faith in the vision of the club. I'll be sad to see Beram Kayal leave as a consequence, Hughton's first signing when he took over all those years ago!

He should be highly motivated, he's back in the Premier League (shop window) in a side with a new manager, new ideas and tactics plus promising new signings. If as you predict he does well I would think quite a few lower-end Prem teams would be interested in him even if we went down. I doubt he would go back to the Championship unless he proved a big failure here.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Is the King going tho'?

Sounds like it, but also - doing the maths of a 25 man squad, either him or Balogun are going to have to miss out and I can see Kayal being moved on. :down:

He should be highly motivated, he's back in the Premier League (shop window) in a side with a new manager, new ideas and tactics plus promising new signings. If as you predict he does well I would think quite a few lower-end Prem teams would be interested in him even if we went down. I doubt he would go back to the Championship unless he proved a big failure here.

Should be, but we'll see. Ultimately, I have never liked him as a player so I'm not exactly enthused by this signing like others are. I hope he does well, because I want the team to do well, but this is a strange deal however people justify it. It does make more sense thanks to the previous poster, but it's a signing not really in keeping with our longer term vision.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Another one signed to fill up the squad, won’t make many appearances but a different option for the middle.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Another one signed to fill up the squad, won’t make many appearances but a different option for the middle.

I think we may see a fair bit of him. Quality player.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My nephew TUBBY is doing WORK experience there and it was the only way he could get the NEWS out

MAYBE he could GET Petal a JOB seeing AS she was SHAFTED by CURRYS ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds like it, but also - doing the maths of a 25 man squad, either him or Balogun are going to have to miss out and I can see Kayal being moved on. :down:

Should be, but we'll see. Ultimately, I have never liked him as a player so I'm not exactly enthused by this signing like others are. I hope he does well, because I want the team to do well, but this is a strange deal however people justify it. It does make more sense thanks to the previous poster, but it's a signing not really in keeping with our longer term vision.

Somewhere on Nsc is a tweet saying Charlton are trying to get Kayal & Hemed together.

Nice, first signing that makes me think Potterball may be different to what we've got used to in recent years

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This. He can tackle, has skill and can beat players. Something we have missing in midfield.

I must admit, this is one of the things I noticed about one of the videos posted in this thread. He's not afraid to get stuck in, but manages to do so without taking anyone's legs out in a potentially career-threatening way, like AK and DS have been guilty of in the past.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Keep him fit and he's a huge addition. Look at the comments of Hudds fans on Twitter I think it will be months before they calm down. That fact says it all

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The thing that perhaps excites me most about Mooy signing is that we should have a more experienced, calming influence in the squad. We've lost a lot of those in the past two years, especially now with Kayal and Hemed bound for Charlton. As we heard on Albion Unlimited this week, the likes of Maupay are talented but slightly hot-headed like our Anthony was. Mooy looks like a good bloke off the field, and hopefully he'll be a really good influence in the dressing room.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The thing that concerns me is his motivation. On the assumption and hope he does well with us, he's put himself in an awkward position because for us to keep him will take a big fee, given he'll have 2 years left on his contract.

I think the contracts will be all linked up. We have him on loan with an option to buy which probably already has a fee agreed. Mooy would have unlikely signed a new deal with Huddersfield unless he had the ability to move on with us. I doubt we've taken him on a year loan with an option to buy where if he does well it bumps his price up further. Huddersfield were in the weaker position given he would have been a free agent next summer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're the one who is disputing what I'm saying, so how about you prove me wrong.

I don't know why I have to waste my time justifying something which I know is true.

Just go on whoscored or other sites and look yourself.

Anyway, here you go:

Mooy:

View attachment 113988

Propper:

View attachment 113989

Stephens:

View attachment 113990

Very interesting. I can't get these on Whoscored? Must be something I'm doing. So these are 18/19 I'm assuming, and are they touches heat maps? His and Propper's are fairly similar, if a lot loss involvement for Propper, and perhaps reflective of Hughton's change of Propper's position during last season.

Think he will give Potter some real tactical flexibility that Hughton didn't have at his disposal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here