Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This unprecedented period of division and chaos in our country is entirely the Tories' doing. No-one else's - it is literally entirely theirs. If you are in any way unconvinced I think it's time for a recap.

Firstly, Cameron decided to foist a referendum on us in the mistaken belief that it would settle the Tories' split on Europe once and for all by showing the 'Eurosceptics' that the majority wanted to stay in the EU. He never dreamed for an instant that the slavering bigots of the tabloid press, dark money and the likes of Cambridge Analytica would prove cleverer and more influential than his countless corporate backers when it came to influencing voters. A ghastly coalition of liars won the referendum in a welter of fake news and appalling xenophobia.

Then May called a snap general election in the mistaken belief (re-enforced, let us remember, by 99% of all known mainstream media) that she would trounce the 'unelectable' Jeremy Corbyn and gain the huge majority to complete Brexit in the way she wanted to. Instead she lost her slim majority and could only cling on to power by bribing the unspeakable 17th century boggle eyed rednecks of the DUP.

(An aside here: if you are going to inveigh against 'terrorist sympathisers' then the DUP are as much in that category as Sinn Fein. Of course, one person's 'terrorist sympathisers' are another woman's route to power in a country with a tame right wing press and cowed BBC. Imagine the utter furore if the situation had been reversed, Labour were the largest party and Corbyn then persuaded Sinn Fein to take their seats to give him a majority....)

And then May made the most appalling and yes, disloyal, unpatriotic decision of all the festering, diarrhoea sodden, burst colostomy bag in a leaking bucket of unspeakably crap decisions she has come up with in the past three years....

Instead of recognising the severity of the situation and reaching out to other parties, she put the interests of the Conservative Party above those of the country and allowed her Brexit strategy to be dictated by the appalling Lord Snooty Rees Mogg and the aforementioned DUP.

And that brings us on to the backstop issue. Let us not forget that the DUP are supposed to be representing a province which voted 63% to stay in the EU. Although a huge obstacle which needed to be high on the agenda in any Brexit negotiations, the Irish border issue had no real traction during what was (surprise, surprise) a thoroughly Anglocentric referendum campaign. So when it came up in Brussels the DUP, holding the balance of power in Parliament, could hold the country to ransom on the backstop issue to appease their ghastly followers with no problem at all - in no way reflecting the views of the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

If May had reached out to other parties during negotiations and sidelined the slavering bigots on the Tory Right the DUP would have turned against her, binning her majority, and the Conservative Party would have split. As a literally lifelong Tory loyalist apparatchik devoid of empathy, humanity or imagination (those being self evidently the qualities required for that role) she was determined to avoid those eventualities at all costs.

Like Cameron who foisted the filthy referendum on us in the first place, she deliberately chose to split the country in two to avoid the Tory Party falling apart. Families and friendships torn asunder and British citizens literally fighting in streets and pubs is preferable to her than the end of the disgusting organisation to which she has dedicated her life.

I hope the Tory Party self-destructs anyway. I think it will. To coin a phrase, Parliament has to take back control now and save us from the abyss. There will be cross party co-operation and Lord Snooty won't like that. Rot in hell, Rees Mogg. Rot in hell.

And the rest of us? Weep, Britain, weep. And if you care about this country, as I most certainly do, remember what the Tories - no one else, just the selfish, self-obsessed, navel gazing Tory Party - have done to us and never, ever, ever vote for them again.

Couldn't agree more. Should be held in utter contempt. Even now, a free vote rather than risk resignations through whipping their MPs to do the right thing by the country, not their self interests. But bottled it again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This unprecedented period of division and chaos in our country is entirely the Tories' doing. No-one else's - it is literally entirely theirs. If you are in any way unconvinced I think it's time for a recap.

Firstly, Cameron decided to foist a referendum on us in the mistaken belief that it would settle the Tories' split on Europe once and for all by showing the 'Eurosceptics' that the majority wanted to stay in the EU. He never dreamed for an instant that the slavering bigots of the tabloid press, dark money and the likes of Cambridge Analytica would prove cleverer and more influential than his countless corporate backers when it came to influencing voters. A ghastly coalition of liars won the referendum in a welter of fake news and appalling xenophobia.

Then May called a snap general election in the mistaken belief (re-enforced, let us remember, by 99% of all known mainstream media) that she would trounce the 'unelectable' Jeremy Corbyn and gain the huge majority to complete Brexit in the way she wanted to. Instead she lost her slim majority and could only cling on to power by bribing the unspeakable 17th century boggle eyed rednecks of the DUP.

(An aside here: if you are going to inveigh against 'terrorist sympathisers' then the DUP are as much in that category as Sinn Fein. Of course, one person's 'terrorist sympathisers' are another woman's route to power in a country with a tame right wing press and cowed BBC. Imagine the utter furore if the situation had been reversed, Labour were the largest party and Corbyn then persuaded Sinn Fein to take their seats to give him a majority....)

And then May made the most appalling and yes, disloyal, unpatriotic decision of all the festering, diarrhoea sodden, burst colostomy bag in a leaking bucket of unspeakably crap decisions she has come up with in the past three years....

Instead of recognising the severity of the situation and reaching out to other parties, she put the interests of the Conservative Party above those of the country and allowed her Brexit strategy to be dictated by the appalling Lord Snooty Rees Mogg and the aforementioned DUP.

And that brings us on to the backstop issue. Let us not forget that the DUP are supposed to be representing a province which voted 63% to stay in the EU. Although a huge obstacle which needed to be high on the agenda in any Brexit negotiations, the Irish border issue had no real traction during what was (surprise, surprise) a thoroughly Anglocentric referendum campaign. So when it came up in Brussels the DUP, holding the balance of power in Parliament, could hold the country to ransom on the backstop issue to appease their ghastly followers with no problem at all - in no way reflecting the views of the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

If May had reached out to other parties during negotiations and sidelined the slavering bigots on the Tory Right the DUP would have turned against her, binning her majority, and the Conservative Party would have split. As a literally lifelong Tory loyalist apparatchik devoid of empathy, humanity or imagination (those being self evidently the qualities required for that role) she was determined to avoid those eventualities at all costs.

Like Cameron who foisted the filthy referendum on us in the first place, she deliberately chose to split the country in two to avoid the Tory Party falling apart. Families and friendships torn asunder and British citizens literally fighting in streets and pubs is preferable to her than the end of the disgusting organisation to which she has dedicated her life.

I hope the Tory Party self-destructs anyway. I think it will. To coin a phrase, Parliament has to take back control now and save us from the abyss. There will be cross party co-operation and Lord Snooty won't like that. Rot in hell, Rees Mogg. Rot in hell.

And the rest of us? Weep, Britain, weep. And if you care about this country, as I most certainly do, remember what the Tories - no one else, just the selfish, self-obsessed, navel gazing Tory Party - have done to us and never, ever, ever vote for them again.

As much as I agree I still think you are letting the Labour Party off lightly.

3 years of a clear and concise message on Brexit from a united Labour Party would have made it so much easier to hold the Tories to account.

Just because it's fun watching the Tories tear themselves apart, it doesn't mean everything else can go out of the window.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm actually starting to think the easiest way of doing this would be to divide the country in two. Brexiters can have Wales and the western half of England from the Solent up the middle of the Pennines. The eastern half of England plus Scotland and NI can remain in the EU.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm actually starting to think the easiest way of doing this would be to divide the country in two. Brexiters can have Wales and the western half of England from the Solent up the middle of the Pennines. The eastern half of England plus Scotland and NI can remain in the EU.

Probably best to wait until it gets divided in three after Brexit, then see what's left. I'd be happy for leavers to have Lincolnshire...

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I was coming back into the room as he said this, so I may have missed something, but did Michael Gove just confirm that if No Deal is removed tonight and the bill to seek an extension is passed tomorrow, that would be passed into law, therefore it is no longer the law to leave on March 29th?

As I say I was coming in to the room so I missed a bit of what was said.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

The thing is, while we know that the leave campaign cheated and the recent Arron Banks revelations are even more shocking - The real problem is that the eurosceptics have been 'cheating' for decades. As I alluded to elsewhere, for vast swathes of people, Europe and immigrants are to blame for all that is wrong in this country. Fundamentally, that's what won it for the leavers. I only hope that once Article 50 is canned and we have a second referendum, enough people will have seen that we may be better off remaining, after all.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was coming back into the room as he said this, so I may have missed something, but did Michael Gove just confirm that if No Deal is removed tonight and the bill to seek an extension is passed tomorrow, that would be passed into law, therefore it is no longer the law to leave on March 29th?

As I say I was coming in to the room so I missed a bit of what was said.

Key work is 'seek' - If the EU turned us down, the only other option it to revoke A50, which we may do unilaterally.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We need to ban future referendums in law...

Absolutely this. How on earth can the uninformed make an informed decision? The vast majority of people who voted had no idea of the exact outcome. I know of people who voted leave to 'save UK jobs for UK people' and have been made redundant thanks to their companies going bust and blaming Brexit. I'm past the 'HA!!! W_nkers!!' stage and now genuinely feel sorry for them... Who in their right mind would vote to lose their job? They did.... because they didn't really know what they were voting for.

Anyway... thank goodness I'm just a little one man band at the moment with no staff and no huge overheads. My previous business was heavily reliant on European and Worldwide trade so I'd be having a grabber if I was still running it.

Finally, what also makes me sad is how we look to the rest of the world. A proud nation, with the respect of the world, now looking totally and utterly feckless. :(

I'd like to see the government grow a pair, say 'No. This is stupid. It will not benefit us in any way. Revoke Article 50 and crack on as we were. If the public want to complain, let them.'

We weren't exactly a broken country before all this, were we?

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I like it, but doubt the C*nts in Kent would

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As much as I agree I still think you are letting the Labour Party off lightly.

3 years of a clear and concise message on Brexit from a united Labour Party would have made it so much easier to hold the Tories to account.

Just because it's fun watching the Tories tear themselves apart, it doesn't mean everything else can go out of the window.

I find the message "Tory Party bad, Labour Party good" too facile when it comes to Brexit because - as other posters have said - Blair proposed a Referendum and sounded an awful lot like Cameron in doing so.

As for the Tory Party tearing itself apart, be careful what you wish for. Any split could force moderate Remainers to The Independent Group and what's left of the Tories could be a Trumpist / Moggist / Alt Right for Brexiteers, Hard Right Tories, Kippers and Tommy Robinson sympathisers. Such a party would be well-placed in the event of Remain or a soft Brexit that failed the UK economically.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see May didn’t turn up for PMQ. What a coward.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm beginning to think that for the rump of 'no dealers' left, the only way to appease them is to go ahead and jump off the cliff and then go begging back to the EU for whatever they would give us a few days later.

Just take a look at this complete madness https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47551121

Now I have never said that all 'no dealers' were thick. But maybe someone can suggest another adjective to describe anyone who believes that this is a goer in 16 days :facepalm:

On our way

Easiest deal in history

Brexit means Brexit

No deal

Undemocratic loons

Tick Tock

16 days to go

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Probably best to wait until it gets divided in three after Brexit, then see what's left. I'd be happy for leavers to have Lincolnshire...
Don't forget Wales, England and London will be 3 new US states. Scotland will be back in the EU, and Ireland united.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here