Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] cpfc vs BHAFC

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
3 things: our away form is even worse.......

If we beat them on Saturday, we’d have won the same number of away games that they have won at home.

You might be a pessimist but it’s been a stunningly miserable season to be a fan at Selhurst, they’ve seen very little to cheer their spirits. Let’s hope this continues.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
3 things: our away form is even worse, we have strikers who on average have 1 shot (not goals) every 3 games; secondly, in Zaha they have a truly gifted player, a match winner, marquee signing call it what you want whereas we don’t - in dour scruffy derby games these players especially can make the difference with a moment of sheer brilliance, not to mention Zaha habitually does this in fixtures against us; and lastly, I’m a born pessimist when it comes to the Albion and she rarely lets me down!

Except at the Amex Zaha was reduced to a dribbling, petulant wreck by CH’s tactics and Solly’s job on him.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
If we beat them on Saturday, we’d have won the same number of away games that they have won at home.

You might be a pessimist but it’s been a stunningly miserable season to be a fan at Selhurst, they’ve seen very little to cheer their spirits. Let’s hope this continues.

Lots of our games at Selhurst against struggling teams have gone the same way:

1. Away team sits back and defends with 10 behind the ball, allowing Palace to completely dominate the game
2. Palace have three hundred shots and yet somehow fail to convert chances
3. Palace draw 0-0

We're an extremely effective counter attacking side, which is why we do so well away from home, and in games against the top teams. Unfortunately, we struggle when tasked with breaking down a side that doesn't want to play in our half. We've got Batshuayi now who does appear able to put the ball into the net, so hopefully that'll change things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're an extremely effective counter attacking side, which is why we do so well away from home
Didn't look like it when our 10 men were battering you.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Except at the Amex Zaha was reduced to a dribbling, petulant wreck by CH’s tactics and Solly’s job on him.

Palace played really poorly in the reverse fixture, but I don't think Zaha had a terrible game. He was wiped out plenty of times (including for the penalty we scored from) and was clearly getting very frustrated with the treatment he was recieving, combined with the fact that his teammates had forgotten how to play football. Zaha was arguably fortunate not to have been sent off for a reckless challenge, but that challenge came minutes after being obviously fouled while on the break and having it waved away by the referee :shrug:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Palace played really poorly in the reverse fixture, but I don't think Zaha had a terrible game. He was wiped out plenty of times (including for the penalty we scored from) and was clearly getting very frustrated with the treatment he was recieving, combined with the fact that his teammates had forgotten how to play football. Zaha was arguably fortunate not to have been sent off for a reckless challenge, but that challenge came minutes after being obviously fouled while on the break and having it waved away by the referee :shrug:

So trying to break someone’s ankles okay if you’ve previously been fouled?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I think you’re agreeing with me........

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Have you heard the story about the boy who cried wolf

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It did when we beat City at the Etihad, though. The kind of result that your club could only dream of :)
Actually, the kind of result I dreamed of was beating Palace even after we went down to 10 men, and then my dream came true in front of my eyes.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It did when we beat City at the Etihad, though. The kind of result that your club could only dream of :)

What is it now, twenty meetings between Palace and Man United in the Premier League. You still haven't beaten them. Two wins for us in 2018, the kind of results that your club could only dream of...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You lost me at ‘If’ although I admire the continued optimism fellow Albion fans have regarding our away record which is, once again, beyond awful. Oh, and for two seasons now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Palace played really poorly in the reverse fixture, but I don't think Zaha had a terrible game.

A random selection of Zaha's ratings in that game:

4 - https://www.football.london/crystal...ighton-palace-player-ratings-tomkins-15506978
5- https://www.90min.com/posts/6239168...-reaction-as-10-men-seagulls-fight-to-victory
6 - https://www.skysports.com/football/brighton-vs-c-palace/390898
5 - https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...ion-v-crystal-palace-player-ratings-1-8728622

An average of 5/10 then. Given that he is supposed to be worth £50m+ and was playing against ten for a lot of the game, it sounds pretty terrible to me.

I will give you that he wasn't as terrible as some of the others, but he can't have been much worse in any other game this season.

What you have said about him being wiped out loads of times is also not my recollection. I seem to remember us keeping our shape and being quite happy to let him have the ball as he wasn't going anywhere with it. The penalty was a standard Zaha move of tempting Montoya into stretching to make an unncessary challenge. It's annoying when defenders get mugged off by this, but it wasn't a 'wiping out'.

I am sure that if he had been given particularly poor treatment, he wouldn't have been shy in running to the media to complain about it. I can't find any comment from him. It seems from the news reports that the only targetting of him was with a pie and happened before kick off.

This all kind of points to a bit of re-writing of history on your part or possibly a mis-recollection skewed by confirmation bias.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A random selection of Zaha's ratings in that game:

4 - https://www.football.london/crystal...ighton-palace-player-ratings-tomkins-15506978
5- https://www.90min.com/posts/6239168...-reaction-as-10-men-seagulls-fight-to-victory
6 - https://www.skysports.com/football/brighton-vs-c-palace/390898
5 - https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...ion-v-crystal-palace-player-ratings-1-8728622

An average of 5/10 then. Given that he is supposed to be worth £50m+ and was playing against ten for a lot of the game, it sounds pretty terrible to me.

I will give you that he wasn't as terrible as some of the others, but he can't have been much worse in any other game this season.

What you have said about him being wiped out loads of times is also not my recollection. I seem to remember us keeping our shape and being quite happy to let him have the ball as he wasn't going anywhere with it. The penalty was a standard Zaha move of tempting Montoya into stretching to make an unncessary challenge. It's annoying when defenders get mugged off by this, but it wasn't a 'wiping out'.

I am sure that if he had been given particularly poor treatment, he wouldn't have been shy in running to the media to complain about it. I can't find any comment from him. It seems from the news reports that the only targetting of him was with a pie and happened before kick off.

This all kind of points to a bit of re-writing of history on your part or possibly a mis-recollection skewed by confirmation bias.

It was Balogun that fouled Mr Tumble for the peno,apart from that, spot on.

Seeing him running straight off at the end, nearly in tears, and not even acknowledging the’Bestest fans in the World’ (well, the ones who hadn’t slunk off by then)made my night even better.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Actually, the kind of result I dreamed of was beating Palace even after we went down to 10 men, and then my dream came true in front of my eyes.

This x 100. Beating City would be nice, would even be remembered for a season or two. Thumping Palace with 10 men will bring a smile for YEARS, whatever happens up the road.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It was Balogun that fouled Mr Tumble for the peno

Of course it was. I incorrectly blamed Montoya because it was down his side. I must have subconciously forgiven Leon for some reason. Can't think why...

dtpvtinwoaatd_b-480x279.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When is Herr Hennessy up before the FA?
I’m hoping he might play in goal for them on Saturday, zeig heiling permitting of course,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here