Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TV this month

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Has there ever been a better month for television than this one? I know that's a bold statement but I'm struggling to think of a time when there were so many top quality programmes on at once.

I watch the telly - but none of those you mention.

I would say the best comedy on the box by a country mile is Catastrophe. If you are not watching that - you are missing a treat. It is adult comedy mind .......

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The current one is the best series of Walking Dead so far as well.

And [MENTION=883]Tony Towner's Fridge[/MENTION] is right about Masterchef Australia.

Great Telly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have tried Catastrophe, it's ok but not a patch on sitcoms of old... and that's despite having a newborn and being able to relate to a lot of it.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I know it's on Sky, but a mention here for The Muppets. I can't be doing with all those long series, too much investment of time into what's only television. The Muppets has been excellent - the Swedish Chef's karaoke in the post-work drinking session in this week's show was a thing of magnificence to anybody who grew up loving The Muppet Show.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I know it's on Sky, but a mention here for The Muppets. I can't be doing with all those long series, too much investment of time into what's only television. The Muppets has been excellent - the Swedish Chef's karaoke in the post-work drinking session in this week's show was a thing of magnificence to anybody who grew up loving The Muppet Show.

Oh you bloody hero. Didn't even know this existed. Over to Sky Go I go!!

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
I know people talk about the golden age of television but they remember shows that were a week's highlight - there were never this many excellent programmes on at the same time. The only thing that's missing is a decent sitcom - we seem to have lost the ability to write those but there's so much

DAG, on Sky Arts, a Norwegian noir comedy, is excellent. Already on S3Ep10 but all previous episodes are available on catch-up:

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/dag

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Now your talking, Spader is a GOD

I'm wondering where they will take it this season, as the dynamic has changed considerably with the events at the end of series 2.

Elementary is back soon as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Has there ever been a better month for television than this one? I know that's a bold statement but I'm struggling to think of a time when there were so many top quality programmes on at once.

This was prompted by the thread on Unforgotten, which is one of the best British cop dramas I've seen. Clashing with Unforgotten is the excellent The Last Kingdom, stirring historical drama with a sense of humour.

We also have the completely brilliant Fargo (the second series is even better than the first), the compelling River - which is inevitably compared to Unforgotten as they both have Nicola Walker in it. It's not as good as Unforgotten but in most other weeks would be a highlight. We have a new series of Homeland, which is better than the previous one, and The Returned, a bit scarier than the previous series but perhaps not quite so thought-provoking.

Fans of Scandinavian noir have Arne Dahl to keep them happy - not as good as Wallender or The Killing perhaps but superior stuff. And we have The Bridge coming back this week.

I know people talk about the golden age of television but they remember shows that were a week's highlight - there were never this many excellent programmes on at the same time. The only thing that's missing is a decent sitcom - we seem to have lost the ability to write those but there's so much

With you here on the general thrust of the thread, and many of the programmes you identify.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm wondering where they will take it this season, as the dynamic has changed considerably with the events at the end of series 2.

Love Elementary too. Which i never thought I would given the Holmes/Watson dynamic being somewhat different to the books and our very own Sherlock.

Speaking of which that must be on again soon, comfortably my favorite program on terrestrial TV.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We also have the completely brilliant Fargo (the second series is even better than the first)
Sweet. Watched the second (I think) episode yesterday. I haven't thought it was as good as season 1 yet, but it's early days. Amazing that it's all a true story

We have a new series of Homeland, which is better than the previous one
Yep, liking that too.

Also enjoying The Americans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
New series of The Blacklist as well.

Now your talking, Spader is a GOD
He may well be a God, but he's a God who is hamming his way through every scene and shamelessly playing up to the camera.

But he's no Megan Boone or as she's known here:-

The future Mrs Stat.

I loves her, I loves her soooo much, although not while she's currently blonde.
She alone was well worth the investment in night vision goggles :lolol:

This is also good fun.

I do worry about these American series and 'The Lost Paradox'.

Basically I'm just waiting for them to disappear up their own backsides, in a mess of convoluted story lines.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and Sky Atlantic are re running The West Wing at 5pm, week nights.

Easily an all time top 3 contender behind The Sopranos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here