Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are still trying to make new signings right?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We need to get the french midfielder who thinks Scottish football at Celtic is monkey tennis

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Glad to see people are finally beginning to wake up to the disaster the club is sleepwalking towards.

I thought tough decisions would continue after Chris' exit. I'm worried about the assumption Andone and Locadia just needed the right coach to perform. I hope that isn't the assumption.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Right back - These are the scenarios in order of probability, the way I see it

1) We sign a right back as cover or competiton for Montoya
2) We don't sign a Right Back and Montoya gets injured, suspended or loses form occasionally. In this case, Bernardo plays right back and Gaetan comes into the side
3) We don't sign a Right Back and Montoya plays every game until January
4) We play a 3 at the back system where Solly can fill in as a right wing back, so we don't really need more cover
5) Burn or Balogun shunts across to right back in a defensive 4
6) We promote from the u23's

Can Burn fill in at right back?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Huddersfield have signed FIVE PLAYERS

'Player' has a variety of meanings, though. My envy gland hasn't yet begin to twitch let alone throb. And, here is one of their great singings....

Huddersfield have signed free agent and former Aston Villa defender Tommy Elphick on a two-year deal.

The central defender, who won the Championship with Bournemouth as their captain in 2015, was available for a free after his Villa contract expired this summer.

The defender joined Villa for £3m in 2016 and went on to feature 41 times for the newly-promoted Premier League club.

He was sent out on loan to Reading for the second half of the 2017/18 season in search of more game time but made just four appearances for the Royals.

Elphick was also loaned out to Hull City at the start of the 2018/19 campaign, but later recalled by Dean Smith in December last year; he played 18 games for the Tigers, scoring one goal

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
I'm just sick of the we'll muddle through brigade... just not an acceptable 'plan' for a PL team...

I didn't say it was acceptable just asking a question. You've made some pretty large leaps into assumption, but it's fine as you make up for it with your charming manner.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just been chatting to a cabbie on the way home who claimed to be a self confessed 'Albion nut' and he was banging on about Hemed being the answer up front for this season!

'Nut' seemed to sum it up. Hemed - really?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Quite a few added to the the list of those concerned then.

I accepted the CH decision on the basis that we would be giving a more expansive manager the tools to survive in this league encompassing a higher transfer and wage budget, in turn allowing us to attract a higher pedigree of player.

Disappointed so far, and my mojo is low enough to envisage very little activity until the last week. If there is any consensus whatsoever amongst the decision makers that this squad is good enough and just needs some better coaching, then we are utterly ****ed. In my opinion like.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

I accepted the CH decision on the basis that we would be giving a more expansive manager the tools to survive in this league encompassing a higher transfer and wage budget, in turn allowing us to attract a higher pedigree of player.

Disappointed so far, and my mojo is low enough to envisage very little activity until the last week. If there is any consensus whatsoever amongst the decision makers that this squad is good enough and just needs some better coaching, then we are utterly ****ed. In my opinion like.

Exactly sums up how I feel at the moment

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I still think sacking CH was a stupid decision. If we are left with the same players and an unproven manager in the Prem we'll be the first team down. In my opinion it was blatantly obvious that the players are just not good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I still think sacking CH was a stupid decision. If we are left with the same players and an unproven manager in the Prem we'll be the first team down. In my opinion it was blatantly obvious that the players are just not good enough. I hope I'm wrong.

If that really is the case then Hughton has been done a favour because we would be relegated anyway, but if the manager brings the best out of our shit players it has only taken one man to change it instead of buying a new team which is never going to happen. Change the team or change the manager?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It confuses me that we needed to get a manager in asap but don’t seem to have the same urgency with new players, we could of course, be done unless a bargain comes along

Could be that the board think we already have the quality. I’m all for seeing last season’s buys get a chance under Potter but although I think they’ll do better this season, it is a big gamble not adding in the positions we were weakest in.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I can't believe the club will leave it there. I would guess another couple of signings yet. If not January could be busy

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
when a self made gambling billionaire rolls the dice watch and learn. Potter will be given all that he needs to push the club on,Bloom didn't get rich by making the wrong calls.Last week and this week will be an assessment for Potter regarding who are the weak links and needs to go and who deserves a chance to prove themselves and are up to it. Confident of a 10th place finish, patient enough to wait a couple of weeks for the new striker.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It confuses me that we needed to get a manager in asap but don’t seem to have the same urgency with new players, we could of course, be done unless a bargain comes along

Could be that the board think we already have the quality. I’m all for seeing last season’s buys get a chance under Potter but although I think they’ll do better this season, it is a big gamble not adding in the positions we were weakest in.

It was much cheaper to settle the compensation with Swansea, than to pay the huge sums demanded by selling clubs in this market, not to mention wage demands where incoming players hold all the aces. Look at the huge sums being paid for players by West Ham and Leicester for example .... they’re now shelling out the sums paid by the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool a couple of years ago (the last broadcasting rights increase, in no way explains the sudden cash increase available to SOME mid table PL clubs).

Hopefully TB has it all in hand, as last year’s squad plus just Trossard will give the same old first team mediocrity.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I can't believe the club will leave it there. I would guess another couple of signings yet. If not January could be busy

We could be virtually down by than - ultimately at least three/four of last season's big signings are duffers plain and simple: Big Jurgs (Jan prior granted), Comical Ali and, BIG leon and Florin 'Ban done...' I've said elsewhere and I'm happy to reiterate here that GP may well have a progressive attacking philosophy, but he hasn't got the players to deliver it at this level - not in a million years. So far we've added a former Belgium under 21 international and, and ... little else of consequence has happened at all.

Still we've got Tomer back... all is not lost.

In all seriousness if this was and remains the strategy re recruitment CH will be glad he was axed when he was. GP can't make Ali into a better than average PL player or indeed Jurgs into a PL player of any sort, because... guess what?!? they are not and never will be.

Here's hoping we bring in a new CM, RB and Striker before we open for the season, otherwise we are screwed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here