Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor is leaving

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I tried the Athletic here in the US for a few months. They took some of Miami's best known sports writers and talkers and so I thought it might be worth it. Unfortunately my opinion was it didn't work. Yes, they tried to get the stories to be deeper and more thought provoking but hiring the populist writers didn't match that aim. The quality was generally poor compared to the better national journalists. I think it may be the same there unless Andy has some talents he has been hiding all these years.

I took up a rather good introductory offer, mainly for their fantasy baseball coverage, but I can't see myself renewing at full price next year. But I wonder whether the intention is to provide better coverage of English football for an international market, where the subscription model might work, rather than a British one? Then you have to doubt whether writers covering relegated clubs will keep their jobs. But signing Phil Hay suggests they think there's a readership for certain Championship clubs.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Never had a problem with Naylor, we - oldies - just remember Johnny Vinicombe with such regard that no-one will ever replace him. Best of luck for your future Mr Naylor.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have not had a local press for several years

This is very true, including the Littlehampton Gazette and Worthing Herald. All owned by bigger media corporations that won't think twice about cutting a local service. Newspapers as we know them have a limited shelf life now. My sis worked at the Worthing Herald for 32 years and they made her redundant last year, and got rid of the head of the same company who is also a mate of mine, it is declining and being centralised, expect to see more social media headlines.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There was talk of the Argus losing 1 of their 3 sports staff to redundancy fairly recently.

The writing is on the wall for what the future holds, and there is little doubt that this would have played a part in Andy Naylor's decision to jump before being pushed.

Good luck to him. I'll definately try the subscription for a year - I'm sure any introductory offer won't cost much more than the equivalent of a few Argus-es a month.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Hardly a loss is it?

Anyone who is semi-literate with an understanding of football could do the job.

I get that he was a steady man for the local paper but he has nothing that makes him stand out as a writer.

Without wanting to be patronising: watching, understanding and interpreting game while writing 400 words which have to be ready to send the minute the final whistle blows is a MASSIVE skill. Then you need immediately to go and interview a manager or players and get several stories out of them. You need more than semi-literacy.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s not healthy for local football club reporters to stay in post for so long. Inevitably they end up in the pocket of the club.
I generally felt naylor cheer led too much rather than scrutinised. A club man.
Can’t blame him for not leaving (until now) such a good role.
Good luck Naylor

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Never had a problem with Naylor, we - oldies - just remember Johnny Vinicombe with such regard that no-one will ever replace him. Best of luck for your future Mr Naylor.

Yes - so true.

Man of the match - O’Sullivan practically every week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Shame, Brian Owen is useless in comparison

Obviously you are wrong. Known Brian for 40 years he is far from useless.

Brian is a very good reporter that has perhaps been held back by Naylor. Hope he has a chance as head reporter.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Without wanting to be patronising: watching, understanding and interpreting game while writing 400 words which have to be ready to send the minute the final whistle blows is a MASSIVE skill. Then you need immediately to go and interview a manager or players and get several stories out of them. You need more than semi-literacy.

It always amazes me when people pick on a job and say anyone can do that. I think they believe, for example, a newsreader just rocks up and reads some stuff on an autocue then disappears off home for the rest of the day

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
There was a general sports magazine launched about 20 years ago. I can't remember its name but it died a quick death. The trouble is that there are not many sports nuts in this country: there are plenty of people who like football or cricket or tennis or motor racing or boxing but there are not many people who football and cricket and tennis and motor racing and boxing.

I've bought football, cricket and rugby mags in the past as they're the sports I'm interested in. Why would I buy something (or pay a subscription for something) where about 70 to 80% is of no interest to me whatsoever?

Throw in the reluctance of British punters to pay for content and I think they'll struggle

Indeed - even Sky Sports changed their traditional subscription model so that you could just buy the sports channels you are interested in.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Obviously you are wrong. Known Brian for 40 years he is far from useless.

Brian is a very good reporter that has perhaps been held back by Naylor. Hope he has a chance as head reporter.

The Argus has been fortunate in having two such competent football writers, three if you count Mike Legg who can step up to cover any sport. If you doubt that, pick up a copy of a local paper during an away trip - if you can find one, that is.

On the subject of reporters getting too close to a club, there is a risk - but when things have been going well and there isn't much to criticise, what would be the point in inventing a controversy? And Andy Naylor was properly critical of some of last season's signings and football.

There was talk of the Argus losing 1 of their 3 sports staff to redundancy fairly recently.

The writing is on the wall for what the future holds, and there is little doubt that this would have played a part in Andy Naylor's decision to jump before being pushed.

Good luck to him. I'll definately try the subscription for a year - I'm sure any introductory offer won't cost much more than the equivalent of a few Argus-es a month.
Had also heard talk of that, however I was of the understanding that of the three sports staff at The Argus, Andy's job was the only one that was safe.

A lot of change in the local press this off-season, what with Steve Bailey also having left the Worthing Herald/Brighton Indy, though I don't think he's bound for the same destination as Andy is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It always amazes me when people pick on a job and say anyone can do that. I think they believe, for example, a newsreader just rocks up and reads some stuff on an autocue then disappears off home for the rest of the day
This. The original comment was brainless. Remember reading Winter & Hayward at an early age and admiring how such prose could be put together in such a short time amongst others. It’s a skill beyond skill. Then there’s the whole relationship management with a club that will spit it’s dummy and ban you if you uncover something or are too critical. It’s a highly complex job to do and it’s why there are relatively few like Naylor, Owen etc who do it so well.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

25 years in the job, I'd have waited for the redundancy rather than jump first !

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
The athletic business model has a lot of potential and I think Naylor’s jumped at the prime time, especially if stock is part of the package. I’d imagine they will evolve to podcasts, highlights and eventually live broadcast rights for a bunch of sports.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think with the amount of secrecy and control that the Albion now have over their dealings, internal communications and press offerings, there are probably so few crumbs by way of scoops that his job at the Argus was nigh on impossible.
Good luck to him - not everyone’s cup of tea but has done well bringing info to us over the years.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Well that’s rubbish IMO, BO much better journalist...

There are times when Naylors comments stagger me and not in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with this and AN didn't like any kind of criticism at all on Twitter as he blocked me when I questioned him about his loyalties etc [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think with the amount of secrecy and control that the Albion now have over their dealings, internal communications and press offerings, there are probably so few crumbs by way of scoops that his job at the Argus was nigh on impossible.
Good luck to him - not everyone’s cup of tea but has done well bringing info to us over the years.

This.

NSC seems its equal in finding out Albion news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here