Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
There is no doubt at all the Chris is a brilliant manager and, any club who wants to be promoted/stay in the prem should immediately look to hire him. I am gutted for him.

HOWEVER, this sacking/new appointment is about going onto that next step. Not 'just' surviving but wanting to push into the next group up, Leicester, West Ham, Everton. It will be REALLY tough and of course we still have to be mindful of relegation, but I honestly believe the club couldn't see Chris letting go enough of the fear of relegation to push us on and let the team be more expansive.

It's a horrible decision to make and a good man has lost his job VERY harshly, but if the club really felt that he simply could not push us on the next step then I'd argue, however cruel, it is the right thing to do.

I will ALWAYS defend him and his record remains brilliant which I'm delighted about.

But not so brilliant that he deserved a chance to take that next step having kept us up in the first two seasons and gained plenty of valuable experience as he did so. Instead, you'd rather take a punt on a manager with undoubted promise but no Premier League experience at all and no shared connection with the core of the team? We stayed up this year because of the points we gained before Christmas. Rookie managers tend to need some time to bed in ...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well I do hope for TB's sake something comes out that makes what you say plausible. I really struggle to believe it would have been as bad as to deserve the treatment CH got.

To be fair [MENTION=233]tedebear[/MENTION], you are making it sound a little like CH was tarred, feathered and paraded through Brighton with a sign hung around his neck reading, "were loose and it's all my fault."

I thought the statement from the club was an honest and fair summary of the reason for the decision, offered thanks and praise to CH, referred to him as one of the club’s finest and most-respected managers and said he would always be welcome at the Amex. The fact is we won 3 from 26 and that just can never be good enough. CH was in a job that only 20 people in the world can do at any one time, so to keep that job you have to be beyond exceptional. As a manager in the PL, continually putting 11 men behind the ball, giving up on playing football and hoping results go your way is just not sustainable.

In my view, most PL clubs would have jetisoned Hughton far earlier and most likely in a far more brutal manner.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Half the time football managers leave by 'mutual consent' it's a sacking anyway, isn't it? Just don't get why the official announcement couldn't say that, even if it had panned out as you suggest it might have?

“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season”, clearly indicates a monologue from TB to CH dismissing him.

CH will be paid his contract in full and mutual consent wouldn’t have come into this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair [MENTION=233]tedebear[/MENTION], you are making it sound a little like CH was tarred, feathered and paraded through Brighton with a sign hung around his neck reading, "were loose and it's all my fault."

I thought the statement from the club was an honest and fair summary of the reason for the decision, offered thanks and praise to CH, referred to him as one of the club’s finest and most-respected managers and said he would always be welcome at the Amex. The fact is we won 3 from 26 and that just can never be good enough. CH is in a job that only 20 people in the world can do at any one time, so to keep that job you have to be beyond exceptional. As a manager, continually putting 11 men behind the ball, giving up on playing football and hoping results go your way is just not sustainable.

In my view, most PL clubs would have jetisoned Hughton far earlier and most likely in a far more brutal manner.

:goal:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
“Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season”, clearly indicates a monologue from TB to CH dismissing him.

CH will be paid his contract in full and mutual consent wouldn’t have come into this.

Who knows. CH may have refused to go by mutual consent.......

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
What annoys me about all that is being spouted by a good many journo's and the like is the fact they hardly ever saw the Albion team play, I strongly expect they presume the Match of the Day highlights are the defining thing that happened that day on the pitch.

Well, having been to every home game and fifteen away games this season, I can report back with a great deal of certainty about why Chris, our honourable, modest and most gentlemanly manager, got the sack.

Tony Bloom wants to stay in the Premier League (of course he does), he saw what I and many others saw which was players that were potentially very good suffer because they spent most of the game tracking back into positions they should hardly have ever been in. Dunk, Duffy and Ryan were absolute heroes but so were others who must have been absolutely knackered because of the amount of defending they had to do in nearly every game.

Ultimately this comes down to the manager who didn't let the team grow once they got promoted. Players like March, Knockaert, Barnardo and a few others were stunted in their growth, Hughton's ultimate aim every match was not to concede, this was his mantra to every player before they entered whatever arena they were playing at.

Bloom knew Chris' shortcomings were causing issues with players and fans alike. The sacking was not about Hughton's persona, which is impeccable and I can only assume Tony loved that side of him, but it's on the pitch where the problem lied and sadly he had to go, there was no other option, Chris wasn't going to change, we all knew that if we're honest with ourselves.

Hopefully Bloom makes the correct appointment and the new manager proves Tony was absolutely right to make the change.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

I thought the statement from the club was an honest and fair summary of the reason for the decision, offered thanks and praise to CH, referred to him as one of the club’s finest and most-respected managers and said he would always be welcome at the Amex. The fact is we won 3 from 26 and that just can never be good enough. CH was in a job that only 20 people in the world can do at any one time, so to keep that job you have to be beyond exceptional. As a manager, continually putting 11 men behind the ball, giving up on playing football and hoping results go your way is just not sustainable.

Not sure I am making it sound like he was tarred and feathered, but read into it what you will. There are enough writings and musings out there on the world wide interweb where people are expressing it was pretty ruthless and out of balance with what he has achieved, to support my view...On your last point, we had appeared to be making a stand that we were not like other clubs, and people, myself included, enjoyed that brief moment, as its apparent we are not now......

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If CH refused a possible mutual consent offer, then it seems he felt he had achieved the targets for the season and wished to continue next season.
If it was down to me, I would have given him the first 10 games next season, with a shared view that if certain targets were not met, then the mutual consent termination would come about.

A better way to end the reign of arguably the best manager in the clubs history, rather than 'we appreciate what you have done Chris, but we've had enough of you now'

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure I am making it sound like he was tarred and feathered, but read into it what you will. There are enough writings and musings out there on the world wide interweb where people are expressing it was pretty ruthless and out of balance with what he has achieved, to support my view...On your last point, we had appeared to be making a stand that we were not like other clubs, and people, myself included, enjoyed that brief moment, as its apparent we are not now......

3 wins in 26 games honestly you think he was good enough

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

TB was quite possibly more patient than any owner out there. Witnessing loss after loss, records being broken in no goals scored, clubs of similar standing visiting the Amex one-by-one taking an easy 3 points, next to no attacking, passing the ball to opponents. Luckily Cardiff were a smidgen more shite than us over the full season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If CH refused a possible mutual consent offer, then it seems he felt he had achieved the targets for the season and wished to continue next season.
If it was down to me, I would have given him the first 10 games next season, with a shared view that if certain targets were not met, then the mutual consent termination would come about.

A better way to end the reign of arguably the best manager in the clubs history, rather than 'we appreciate what you have done Chris, but we've had enough of you now'

Mullery ??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Straight after the Cardiff game. :whistle:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think what it seems most people are overlooking in this discussion is that Chris is the first manager who has had to do the job hamstrung by a flask and bottletop ban.

Since the ban
Played 18
Won 5 (27.8%)
Drawn 5 (27.8%)
Lost 8 (44.4%)

Before the ban (premier league only)
Played 20
Won 8 (40%)
Drawn 8 (40%)
Lost 4 (20%)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I want to see a photo of him accompanying a security guard, the HR manager and carrying a small cardboard box of personal belongings, as he hands his company car keys back to a grinning Paul Barber before I believe it.

And CH finding computer access to Winstanley’s Player Bible blocked, in trying to copy to a memory stick. (Essentially, a list of everyone playing in the Dutch leagues).

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We stayed up due to some poor officiating in the games hat Cardiff could have got points from, and the fact Palace helped us out.
We were poor when it really mattered.
lost to Southampton who were below us at home,1 shot on target.
Lost to Bournemouth not won away from home in 9 games, chance to keep them in the relegation mix, 1 shot on target and making them look like Barcelona.
Lost to Cardiff below us our rival for relegation, 1 shot on target.
Newcastle, we only started playing in the second half, thankfully only 1 nil down, when they should have been out of sight. No shots on target at all in the first half.
These are games against the teams that were around us at the time all at the Amex. When we had in our own hands we failed miserable.
Some people have said may be Houghton should have been given the start of next season. Yesterday was the correct time to make the decision IMHO.
Chris has done a great job with us, a honest true gentleman who will be forever in the hearts of Brighton fans especially mine, but I have to agree with a heavy heart that he had taken us as far as he could have. I will always be proud that we had Chris as manager and the class he showed whilst with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here