Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So you think the way that some vocal anti-Barnes fans behaved towards him wouldn't have any influence on him or is fate with our club?

He was about to walk away from us on a free because he was refusing to sign a new contract with us exactly because of that fan behaviour towards him.

It's the reason we sold him as we knew there was nothing we could do to change his mind as he entered the last few months of his contract and we had the chance to get some money for him rather than let him go for nothing.

Agree to disagree. I think that fans very rarely show contempt enough to oust a player no, it does happen but the manager would usually be sensible enough not to play them if it was that vociferous.

Regarding Barnes, I know the story, I know a few Murray ones too from people supposedly ITK who all contradicted one another.

I've never really bought into any of it, particularly as he was settled here and if I'm not mistaken his son supports us. I'm not sure that would happen if his old man had just left the club on the cheap because he thought the fans disliked him.

If the club wanted to keep them it was a matter of incrementing some numbers upwards, in both cases.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The OP hasn't posted for a very long time, I doubt he gives a toss. Do you not have anything better to do?

It's entirely possible the OP still posts on NSC under a different name.

Can't speak for others, but as previously mentioned, just a straightforward retraction will do for me. There's everything right when one admits to being so very wrong.

Until such a time, the thread's likely to get regular bounces with every Barnes goal, as it has been for years.

The fact that it continues to wind up a few sensitive souls on here is a continual source of amusement.

There's always time for that on NSC.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Can't speak for others, but as previously mentioned, just a straightforward retraction will do for me. There's everything right when one admits to being so very wrong.

Until such a time, the thread's likely to get regular bounces with every Barnes goal, as it has been for years.

The fact that it continues to wind up a few sensitive souls on here is a continual source of amusement.

There's always time for that on NSC.

Mate, you're boring. Get a grip

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Mate, you're boring. Get a grip

Don't like the thread? Don't open it. Don't post on it.

Best not to do yourself a disservice here by trying to make it personal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We didn't have to open it through all of Autumn and Winter, because it wasn't :bounce:d. :lol:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

You successfully completed the NSC detox, got off here for years...and then came back like an alcoholic picking up just one glass, thinking "just one post" and before you know it you're back off to the off-licence for a case of NSC branded White Lightning.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We didn't have to open it through all of Autumn and Winter, because it wasn't :bounce:d. :lol:

Well, quite. And it's not as if this thread isn't ever going to have a natural shelf life and expiry date when retirement approaches.

Still, it's fun while it lasts. And the tears of those moaning about it really are quite delicious and moreish.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I believe that someone on NSC confirmed that he does, but I don't know who as ?

Maybe take a look on a particular long running thread for someone who is extremely belligerent, particularly when the facts stacking up seem to be at odds with their pre-held conceptions :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fans don't really decide the fate of players though do they.

We can believe a few boos will pressure a manager into believing there's no talent there or we can get back to reality.
Agree to disagree. I think that fans very rarely show contempt enough to oust a player no, it does happen but the manager would usually be sensible enough not to play them if it was that vociferous.
If the reaction from the fans is leading to a player not being picked, then of course that can influence whether or not they stay at a club.

The simple fact is, Barnes had a lot of vocal haters when we were in the Championship, and they were all wrong. They should learn that identifying football talent just isn't one of their skills, so they should keep their gobs shut.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Thread deserves bouncing when so many on here, throughout our support gave him a hard time and have now been proved so wrong.

He left it all out on the pitch, lost his head many times but was always up for it. The very same ethic we have been lacking recently.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The OP hasn't posted for a very long time, I doubt he gives a toss. Do you not have anything better to do?

Don't YOU?

I think this thread should stay open specifically as it seems to get a reaction from posters such as yourself :lol:

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Has he scored 7 goals in last 12 matches?

Can someone please list out scorers and number of goals in same period please?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I believe that someone on NSC confirmed that he does, but I don't know who as ?

Maybe take a look on a particular long running thread for someone who is extremely belligerent, particularly when the facts stacking up seem to be at odds with their pre-held conceptions :wink:

Sounds just like you!:)

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Sadly our recruitment since promotionhas been dire.

I applaud the core of Championship players who have kept us just about afloat this season. Against Wolves after Kaysl came on I think we only had two post Championship signings and one was a passenger.

I cannot help but think our recruitment has been really ill conceived. We could have benefited from a couple of players with Barnes commitment. Maybe a few British recruits might actually help us!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sadly our recruitment since promotionhas been dire.

I applaud the core of Championship players who have kept us just about afloat this season. Against Wolves after Kaysl came on I think we only had two post Championship signings and one was a passenger.

I cannot help but think our recruitment has been really ill conceived. We could have benefited from a couple of players with Barnes commitment. Maybe a few British recruits might actually help us!

I started another thread a weeks or so back, not necessarily wholesale changing our recruitment strategy, but certainly mixing it with some purchases of players with experience in England, don't have to be British, or from the PL, but having a good background of English football experience.

I wouldn't also say our recruitment was dire. Ryan, Gross, Propper and Izqueirdo were all solid purchases for our first season in the PL. I don't think we can revise history to say they weren't a success. As a support act Andone also is still good value at £5m or so we paid for him.

The disappointments for me are the fullbacks which cost us some £16m that haven't really added to our wing play, and the £34m or what have you we put into Jahanbakhsh and Locadia. We clearly set out to increase our threat down our flanks investing £50m or so in those areas, and it really is no great surprise we've gone back to Bong, Bruno, March and Izqueirdo.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Fair comment about Ryan, Proper and Gross.

Totally agree re the flanks .

Also the collective spend of £50m on Izzy, Jürgen and AJ looks gash in terms of their combined firepower

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So you think the way that some vocal anti-Barnes fans behaved towards him wouldn't have any influence on him or is fate with our club?

He was about to walk away from us on a free because he was refusing to sign a new contract with us exactly because of that fan behaviour towards him.

It's the reason we sold him as we knew there was nothing we could do to change his mind as he entered the last few months of his contract and we had the chance to get some money for him rather than let him go for nothing.

I was told at that the time by an ITK, that AB simply left because he was on very low Championship money (a fraction of that paid to other first teamers), with Burnley willing to give him the security of good pay on a long contract. A no-brainer for AB.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
I was told at that the time by an ITK, that AB simply left because he was on very low Championship money (a fraction of that paid to other first teamers), with Burnley willing to give him the security of good pay on a long contract. A no-brainer for AB.

That's certainly a more accurate representation of the facts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here