Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much better was that?!

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
quite simple we did ok in 2018, after the new year we tried changing things a bit thinking we could afford too. it didn't go well and lost our form. 2019 became very nervous but we needed to make sure we kept picking up the odd point here and there so relied on the strongest part of our team the defence. Now with the pressure off we relaxed and tried attacking a bit as we had nothing to worry about. No reason to believe we wont continue like that next season. The longest this club has ever spent in the top flight is the period between 79/83. We are going to equal that at least now. So this is a golden period for the club. Yet folk want to sack the manager behind this success. !!! Come on get real, we have the 3rd smallest budget in the league apparently and will finish 4th bottom. We have to believe in the club and everything they are trying to achieve. Nerves have played a big part in 2019. Yes if we carry on like that next season it will be a long hard slog. Personally I think these players are able to do much more now the pressure is off again, if its only for a short while at least.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Clearly your eyes aren't working very well. Rather then an easy pass to one of our own players, or a punt to a corner flag, or even a leatheringnto row Z . . . .the ball was limply passed to an Arse player. Nothing dangerous, but there appeared to be an obvious intent not to make any attempt to win in injury time when we had two clear cut opportunities to at the very least take the pressure off our battered defence. . . Gambling at its finest. . .

FFS man. Better to hang on to the ball with 15 seconds to go than to attempt something daring and see the gooners sprint up the other end and score.

My guess is Andone's was one of the first hands CH shook after the whistle. A damned sight better bet than they all had five shillings on a draw. :facepalm:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Splash the cash and replace all the dross, like Ryan (too short), Dunk and Duffy (distribution poor), March and Knockaert (inconsistent), Stevens (Mr sideways), Bernado and Bissouma (pacy, but can they defend? ???), Gross (always injured), Bong (too smelly), Propper (always away on international duty), Montoya (anonymous) Kayal and Andone (too agressive), Murray and Bruno (too old). The rest, who nobody will want to buy, we keep. Now they have gone down, we could buy all Fulham's recent singings on the cheap - that'll work a treat. Yes, top plan.

???, 2/3 new First Team signings not replace all!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Clearly your eyes aren't working very well. Rather then an easy pass to one of our own players, or a punt to a corner flag, or even a leatheringnto row Z . . . .the ball was limply passed to an Arse player. Nothing dangerous, but there appeared to be an obvious intent not to make any attempt to win in injury time when we had two clear cut opportunities to at the very least take the pressure off our battered defence. . . Gambling at its finest. . .

not content with being an unending misery, you're now insinuating we're match fixing.

support a different club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
quite simple we did ok in 2018, after the new year we tried changing things a bit thinking we could afford too. it didn't go well and lost our form. 2019 became very nervous but we needed to make sure we kept picking up the odd point here and there so relied on the strongest part of our team the defence. Now with the pressure off we relaxed and tried attacking a bit as we had nothing to worry about. No reason to believe we wont continue like that next season. The longest this club has ever spent in the top flight is the period between 79/83. We are going to equal that at least now. So this is a golden period for the club. Yet folk want to sack the manager behind this success. !!! Come on get real, we have the 3rd smallest budget in the league apparently and will finish 4th bottom. We have to believe in the club and everything they are trying to achieve. Nerves have played a big part in 2019. Yes if we carry on like that next season it will be a long hard slog. Personally I think these players are able to do much more now the pressure is off again, if its only for a short while at least.

Four seasons in top flight. How are we going to at least equal that now?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Top performance with the same players

Take the shackles off Chris and we could see more of this

Could have won it today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you up to a point, but a single great performance doesn't necessarily indicate a trend. :wink:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Top performance but its a hell of a lot easier when the opposition have a dodgy defence and only really know how to attack.

Not taking anything away from our performance but we could not do that against the other top 6 sides except maybe Utd who also have a dodgy defence.

That could be the description of Bournemouth but look what happened there. It could also be said about the majority of the teams in the PL when you get at them.

One moment which caught my eye was the very near miss shot from Benardo yet against Spurs in a similar position he just stopped running when he broke over the halfway line. He's a Brazillian we need to let him express himself

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That could be the description of Bournemouth but look what happened there. It could also be said about the majority of the teams in the PL when you get at them.

One moment which caught my eye was the very near miss shot from Benardo yet against Spurs in a similar position he just stopped running when he broke over the halfway line. He's a Brazillian we need to let him express himself

He decided he didn’t want a weeks wage’s docked for doing something adventurous thereby putting at risk the parked bus strategy :wink:

Yesterday was a mufti day for the Albion when the shackles came off for a game :thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He decided he didn’t want a weeks wage’s docked for doing something adventurous thereby putting at risk the parked bus strategy :wink:

Yesterday was a mufti day for the Albion when the shackles came off for a game :thumbsup:

unfortunately i think you are right......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
over the course of the season, clearly, yes.

In which case, presumably, 'over the course of the season' we didn't have a 'mid-table squad'?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What an odd post. We need to stay up next year to 'at least' equal 79 to 83. I agree that the players are able to do much more than they have in recent games but that's not how they have been sent out to play. This is only a golden period for the club because it is only the second time we have been in the top flight in our 118 year history. Why do you say there no reason to believe we won't play next season like we did yesterday. If that's the case, why haven't we been playing like that since probably the first half at Craven Cottage?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was a great performance and one that does so much for our reputation as a bona fide Prem club that can defend and offer a goal threat going forward.

Spurs and Chelsea fans will love us now - Arsenal and Man Utd will respect us for the performances we've put in against them over the last 2 seasons and City will know they'll have a tough match next week.

For me yesterday was a proper Albion performance and if we played like that every week I'd be right behind Hughton.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
What an odd post. We need to stay up next year to 'at least' equal 79 to 83. I agree that the players are able to do much more than they have in recent games but that's not how they have been sent out to play. This is only a golden period for the club because it is only the second time we have been in the top flight in our 118 year history. Why do you say there no reason to believe we won't play next season like we did yesterday. If that's the case, why haven't we been playing like that since probably the first half at Craven Cottage?

Yeah sorry my mistake, its was 4 seasons in top flight last time. Reason why I believe we can do ok next season and play better again is as explained before, less pressure. We played ok before the turn of the year, got over confident, tried going a bit more attacking, failed at it, lost form, lost confidence, couldn't score so relied on our strong defence. With the imminent pressure of relegation and hopefully the players finding their confidence as they did defensively against wolves, spurs, then going forward more 2nd half Newcastle (will forget 1st half shambles) and Arsenal. But our real relegation scrap actually kicked in with a very good defensive show and massively important point at Wolves. This I think made the players and the fans believe we could be ok again. And I see no reason why with a fresh season of premiership football to go at we cannot play with confidence again like we did at Arsenal and before the turn of the year. The awful show against Fulham 2nd half knocked the confidence. I think as most probs did the run of Southampton, Bournemouth, Cardiff we would pick up the points needed. Losing to Cardiff really kicked in the fight for survival and we responded well from that point. So yes I do believe we are capable.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Andone's decision making and execution were both awful. He had two chances to score or set up the winning goal and screwed up both times.

He’s not the only one, collectively we’re not PL level yet in forward area decision making.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was a great performance and one that does so much for our reputation as a bona fide Prem club that can defend and offer a goal threat going forward.

Spurs and Chelsea fans will love us now - Arsenal and Man Utd will respect us for the performances we've put in against them over the last 2 seasons and City will know they'll have a tough match next week.

For me yesterday was a proper Albion performance and if we played like that every week I'd be right behind Hughton.

If we'd played like that every week then everyone would be behind Hughton!!! We can but dream.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Terrible performance, Arsenal have 20 shots requiring Ryan to make 6 saves plus they hit the post.
Where was the solid defensive display which would have limited Arsenal to minimal shots on target, no time wasting from Ryan to enjoy.
Zero shouts of boring boring Brighton or anti football Brighton trending on twitter.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
In which case, presumably, 'over the course of the season' we didn't have a 'mid-table squad'?

clearly. You finish where you deserve to over a season. We got pretty lucky this season. We won't get so lucky next season if things don't change imo. The teams coming up will be a lot better than the three that have gone down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
clearly. You finish where you deserve to over a season. We got pretty lucky this season. We won't get so lucky next season if things don't change imo. The teams coming up will be a lot better than the three that have gone down.

People said that last season. Only Wolves stayed up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here