Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I'd like is for MPs to be paid double what they get now but in return work full-time at being an MP.

None of these directorships, writing columns for newspapers etc - if they want to do that shit they can do it outside of politics.

If the public are to trust MPs then MPs must commit. How many important debates have we seen in Parliament where there's bugger all MPs in attendance? Only 6 Tories turned up to debate the Revoke Article 50 petition this week.

For the likes of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg the MPs salary is pocket money compared to what they earn from outside the House, and the suspicion is that they're only in politics to influence events to further line their own pockets.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bullshit. They get great pay! They get more than most people can dream of!

If you think of in terms of business they are on ridiculously low pay for the responsibility they have, particularly the PM and Cabinet MInisters. Totally incomparable with business.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If you're looking for an at times hilarious book to read, I'd suggest you pick up 'This is Going to Hurt' by Adam Kay.

I don't think I'd call any junior doctors whinging, even a minority of them, because I am humbled by what they've committed to to get where they are.

Saw a bit about this chap in the Times, I think it was. Yes, I'll have a look at this.:thumbsup:
Well, I have quite a few old friends who became doctors, all of whom are retired by now, and I shall pass on your admiration for them to them, if that makes sense! Ha, no longer junior doctors, more like old gits now!:whisky:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you think of in terms of business they are on ridiculously low pay for the responsibility they have, particularly the PM and Cabinet MInisters. Totally incomparable with business.

A comparison:

FTSE100 CEO remuneration packages average £3.6m
Profit per partner at City ‘magic circle’ law firms, up to £1.7m
Profit per partner, Price Waterhouse accountants £620,000

PM salary £149,000
MP salary £77,000

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An MP might work as many hours as a Junior Doctor. I'm sorry but you maybe the son of a retired GP, but that is at best an ill informed statement, if not outright laughable.

Not all junior doctors will become consultants, and even then their salaries are generally in the £74 - £100k. The average GP salary is £74k per year. They come out training with average debt around £70k these days. We're losing junior doctors by the handful due to the working pressure and hours and the relatively low pay.

The BMA has been warning for sometime we have a dire shortage of doctors in most specialities. And you call it 'whinging' amoung their number. Obviously a bit of humility didn't rub off from your elders then?

According to the BMJ and NHS, GP’s average income is greater than £100,000.

F4A37495-9800-4FD5-B1BD-70520D8DCA7F.png

Deserved btw.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The House of Lords have been trying to debate Yvette Cooper's bill, and it has taken over 7 hours due to 13 fillibusters by Tory peers trying to delay it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The House of Lords have been trying to debate Yvette Cooper's bill, and it has taken over 7 hours due to 13 fillibusters by Tory peers trying to delay it.
And I thought we wanted freedom from unelected bureaucrats deciding on our democratic process.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What I'd like is for MPs to be paid double what they get now but in return work full-time at being an MP.

None of these directorships, writing columns for newspapers etc - if they want to do that shit they can do it outside of politics.

If the public are to trust MPs then MPs must commit. How many important debates have we seen in Parliament where there's bugger all MPs in attendance? Only 6 Tories turned up to debate the Revoke Article 50 petition this week.

For the likes of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees Mogg the MPs salary is pocket money compared to what they earn from outside the House, and the suspicion is that they're only in politics to influence events to further line their own pockets.
Exactly. Johnson even once called the £250k he got for "knocking off an article on a Sunday Morning" (err) for The Daily Telegraph "chicken feed".

I have no problem with someone who's rich being an MP but that should be their job, and that's it.

Pay them more but allow no outside interests. Mogg (net worth c£100m) would run for the hills in seconds, along with many other chancers who are only in politics to further their own agendas, or for shits and giggles.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I cautiously agree that MP’s should be on a higher salary. However, they would have to be held to higher standards than they are currently. As mentioned, no outside interests, none of this falling asleep in Parliament nonsense, no more paying wives and mistresses to be “PA’s” etc, and more time spent at work.
Expenses would also have to be far more tightly controlled.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Good old 2P, always bringing the standard of debate back down when civility looks like it might break out.

Perhaps he should apologise for his remark about Farage,then I will apologise for saying he's full of it.On second thoughts,no-he is full of it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think you know this is impossible.

It's not like haven't tried - you've probably had more squabbles than anyone on this thread and has it made 2P's look like he has a brain bigger than a peanut? Of course not.

:kiss:OOOOOOHHH,you are awful,but I like youpunish:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Perhaps he should apologise for his remark about Farage,then I will apologise for saying he's full of it.On second thoughts,no-he is full of it.
I know replying to you is like replying to a semi sentient bowl of tomato soup but the point should be made.

Anyone saying pretty much anything insulting about Farage (within the bounds of human decency) has absolutely no need to apologise. Ever.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Politicians should have to be paid on results.This lot would get absolutely £0,as they're useless.I expect they all chew their nails,as well.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Like Johnny Mercer MP - earns £85k a year on top of his £77k MP salary for 20 hours a week for some consultancy firm in Brighton. He pays his wife £30k a year to be his assistant too out of parliamentary expenses.

I'm sure his constituents in Plymouth on Universal Credit think he's underpaid though. :rolleyes:

I'm not on UC, and he is not even my MP as we have 2, but there is something very wrong about him, I think that eventually he will go for leader of the party, and what is he doing in Brighton when he should be sorting out Plymouth's problems.
I am sure he only got in because he is an ex bootneck, Plymouth is a very marginal seat for both our constituencies, 1 went back to labour but Mercer managed to sneak through.
I don't like him very much but he has this way of shaking your hand and smiling whilst sticking a knife in your spleen.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know replying to you is like replying to a semi sentient bowl of tomato soup but the point should be made.

Anyone saying pretty much anything insulting about Farage (within the bounds of human decency) has absolutely no need to apologise. Ever.

Your a mixed up bowl of alphabetti,but I agree.He didn't insult him,just mistook his location,hence my remark.I know you won't understand,but perhaps ask an adult later.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I wonder whether all the little Englanders were true to their name and voted for the potential break of the Union ?

I'd imagine Gibraltar is next on their list 'cos they knew what they were voting for.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fair play to the lad, he promised and he delivered...

[TWEET]1113835454112194560[/TWEET]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I cautiously agree that MP’s should be on a higher salary. However, they would have to be held to higher standards than they are currently. As mentioned, no outside interests, none of this falling asleep in Parliament nonsense, no more paying wives and mistresses to be “PA’s” etc, and more time spent at work.
Expenses would also have to be far more tightly controlled.

Agreed.

With the immediate loss of seat if convicted of a criminal offence, carrying a prison sentence. The MP for P’boro was convicted of perverting the course of justice of all things, yet still thinks she’s worthy of sitting in a legislative chamber.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here