Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Membership pack just arrived now via GB couriers. Thanks for the extra gifts, union jack shorts, socks. They will come in handy as I intend to sit outside today, and enjoy the weather.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1150817188867182592

Opening soon: Japanese-owned automotive supplier G-Tem is building a £20m factory in Gloucestershire - the manufacturer already employs 500 people in the region and a further 150 jobs are set to be created at the new 120,000 sq ft facility #UKmfg #GBmfg

A good news day all round then ...

Wage growth in the UK rose to 3.6% in the year to May 2019, the highest growth rate since 2008, according to Office for National Statistics figures.

Wages have been outpacing inflation since March 2018.

A record high of 32.75 million people were in employment up to the end of May, while 1.29 million were out of work, the lowest since at least 1992.

... must be very puzzling and probably upsetting for those who enjoy wallowing in negativity.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A good news day all round then ...

Wage growth in the UK rose to 3.6% in the year to May 2019, the highest growth rate since 2008, according to Office for National Statistics figures.

Wages have been outpacing inflation since March 2018.

A record high of 32.75 million people were in employment up to the end of May, while 1.29 million were out of work, the lowest since at least 1992.

... must be very puzzling and probably upsetting for those who enjoy wallowing in negativity.

Past year...

Wages up 3.6%, GBP / USD down 6%. Purchasing power going backwards and that before we even factor in inflation

Still I'm sure the Brexit elite are well divested overseas, happy days

On a brighter note 26c and sunny

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I thought I would have tired of these by now, but they do still raise a smile:-

[tweet]1150746956182040576[/tweet]

Can't believe this lie is still running, he must think some people are really stupid?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As usual you make a strong and virtually unanswerable case. Against your deluge of evidence-based analysis all I can do is come up with this pathetically brief response. A fair minded and reasonable person would conclude that any of the meagre costs incurred on the pursuit of Brexit are indeed chicken-feed when stacked up against the huge benefits thereof.

According to a recent report by S&P Global Ratings, Brexit has cost the British economy £66bn in just under three years - equivalent to around £1,000 per person in the country.
The financial services company calculated that since the referendum, the UK has missed out on £550m of economic growth per week.
A sharp drop in the value of the pound has caused much of the damage by reducing people’s purchasing power, analysts say. Weaker sterling has meant imports are more expensive, with rising prices passed on to consumers.
“Household spending would have been considerably stronger - in line with GDP - had the referendum not occurred,” says the S&P report, titled Countdown To Brexit: What Might Have Been For The UK Economy.

When oh when will these Project Fear merchants and stop caring on about trivialities such as loss of GDP, business confidence, decline in living standards, industrial decline, international credibility and all that nonsense - and start concentrating on the things that matter like really funny t-shirts and stuff??

I seem to remember HM treasury top economist bods calculating a vote to leave meant we would already be in a recession, half a million more unemployed GDP falling off a cliff etc. One factor that screwed up their forecasts was the public not reacting re spending as they predicted (they carried on spending) I have no idea if the S&P report is vaguely accurate as I have seen varying estimates with very different numbers, as usual, it all depends on what criteria you choose to include or exclude. If the treasury had produced a more accurate vote to leave forecast- see record employment, rising wages but slower growth then perhaps the Leave vote would have been even bigger as many remainers probably believed their project fear (taxpayer-funded) doomsday nonsense.

There are plenty of t-shirts out there if you're feeling left out though ....

ra%2Cclassic_tee%2Cx822%2C101010%3A01c5ca27c6%2Cfront-c%2C182%2C165%2C210%2C230-bg%2Cf8f8f8.lite-2.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As has been pointed out, there may be other reasons he wasn't recognised as an MEP, and to think running a parliament of MEPs representing 27 different countries interests won't be bureaucratic and technically complex may be a little naive.

But what do you think he is going to do about it.

Stay and work to change the things he doesn't agree with or run all the way back to Sheffield with his fingers in his ears shouting about how Horrid they are at the EU and how he will never ever have anything more to do with them ever again ?

I wonder which approach he will adopt ???

Ah yes the remainer unicorn membership where MEP's bring about real change and the UK leads in the EU steering it away from Franco-German dominance and ever closer union ...

tenor.gif

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/status/1150817188867182592

Opening soon: Japanese-owned automotive supplier G-Tem is building a £20m factory in Gloucestershire - the manufacturer already employs 500 people in the region and a further 150 jobs are set to be created at the new 120,000 sq ft facility #UKmfg #GBmfg

Why are you recycling old-news? Have you run out?

From the start of the year https://www.punchline-gloucester.co...factory-after-honda-swindon-withdraws-from-uk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I seem to remember HM treasury top economist bods calculating a vote to leave meant we would already be in a recession, half a million more unemployed GDP falling off a cliff etc. One factor that screwed up their forecasts was the public not reacting re spending as they predicted (they carried on spending) I have no idea if the S&P report is vaguely accurate as I have seen varying estimates with very different numbers, as usual, it all depends on what criteria you choose to include or exclude. If the treasury had produced a more accurate vote to leave forecast- see record employment, rising wages but slower growth then perhaps the Leave vote would have been even bigger as many remainers probably believed their project fear (taxpayer-funded) doomsday nonsense.

There are plenty of t-shirts out there if you're feeling left out though ....

ra%2Cclassic_tee%2Cx822%2C101010%3A01c5ca27c6%2Cfront-c%2C182%2C165%2C210%2C230-bg%2Cf8f8f8.lite-2.jpg

Please provide these.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Google 'cost of Brexit' or similar there are numerous reports with many different figures :shrug:

Well, I'm disappointed in you. I wanted to give you an opportunity to come up with something upbeat. But I did as you advised - and I looked at a good Tory paper - the Express. They had one word to sum it up: The cost of Brexit so far? 'Staggering'.

And the figures banded around are historic. If we get onto the projections (yes, your fav trope: project fear) it looks really grim. Beyond grim.

And your other fav trope of quoting something good about our current performance (which could be contended but this time I'll not bother) and then banging on about Project Fear has one major drawback: is any of this 'good news' actually generated by Brexit-related variables or is it despite Brexit? (That's another chance for you to rebalance the argument, so please don't advise that I google 'how the economic miracle of the last few years is all down to Brexit' - because that really would be a wild goose chase.)

I'm sure deep down you know it's an economic sh*t-storm; you just won't/can't admit it. Which is a shame because I think you do (sometimes!) make valid points and express them in a quite witty way.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tories must be kicking themselves privately but few will ever admit it.

Economy has grown since mid-2016 but no great shakes in an environment of strong world economic growth, infact the latter has saved us. If they hadn't allowed themselves to get hjacked by a nationalist sect we'd probably have been in budget surplus and predicted and the prospect of an election in 2020 would be looking pretty rosy. It could be grammar schools, tax breaks, even a few scraps for the poor as well

Instead, a government hanging on a thread, staring down the barrel of party implosion regardless of which way the Brexit knife falls.

Oh for the benefit of hindsight...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://news.sky.com/story/team-bor...-to-suspend-parliament-before-brexit-11764347

Boris Johnson could send MPs home for up to two weeks in October under plans being considered by his campaign.

Campaign sources have confirmed they are looking at scheduling a Queen's speech to mark the start of a new parliamentary session in early November.

Parliament is prorogued for between one and two weeks ahead of a Queen's speech, meaning MPs would in effect be unavailable to stop a no-deal Brexit immediately before October 31.

A Johnson campaign source said: "A number of ideas are under consideration, including this one."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here