Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maybe Ali J just needs to be given time. After all look what happened to Locadia after his slow start when he arrived. Last season he was on fire and scored us 2 goals!

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Maybe Ali J just needs to be given time. After all look what happened to Locadia after his slow start when he arrived. Last season he was on fire and scored us 2 goals!

Yep, it's easy to forget about the impact of a player like Locadia who BANGS in a goal EVERY 615 minutes he is on the pitch :cheery:

matt

Mar 19, 2007
It’s going to be a Summer of opening up this thread every time it’s posted to, only to discover he’s still not been sold/loaned out.

Apologies to anyone I’ve just inflicted that same disappointment on...

Just waiting for Ajax's €50m bid for Propper, Locadia and Ali J to be made official. Any day now....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Sorry, still Team AJ and Locadia here and I’ll stay in it until I’ve seen us play in a style that let’s forward and midfield players shine. We bought forwards not defenders, let’s have a glimpse of them playing as forwards before we write them off.

Good post.

Clearly those two players aren’t going to do that well as wingers or right/left sided midfielders in a 4-4-1-1 (they’ve clearly never played those positions before the Albion). But stick them up top in a 3-4-3 and we might see some fireworks.

Ali J in particular strikers me as a ‘what does he do for the team’ type player. The answer needs to be ‘scores lots of goals’ otherwise there is little point in him being selected. I can’t recall him getting into attacking positions or having many shots all season, that’s the manger/system’s fault, not his.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Given that he was primarily a back up full back, yes. Our most potent threat going forward, which seeing as he seldom had any support when he did break he has been our stand out attacker, Murray apart, imo

Forwards, again Murray apart, were totally ****ed playing in the Albion team this season. No support, no belief and what looked like no training at attacking at all.

If I wasn’t Murray I’d have had my head in my hands most games if I was supposed to make anything happen in that set up.

Unfair to judge any of our forwards on most of this season. Said it before but worth repeating, we should have spent the millions on better defenders given how we set up.

Bit of an exaggeration given our form prior to Christmas. Scored 3 goals against Utd, Palace as well, plus more goals away from home.

It was only when we switched formations it started going badly wrong. Throwing away 2-0 leads at West Ham and Fulham wasn’t because we were too defensive, just not good enough on the ball.

I do concede we were extremely poor thereafter particularly at home, when there was an onus on us to attack......but then we did miss Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit of an exaggeration given our form prior to Christmas. Scored 3 goals against Utd, Palace as well, plus more goals away from home.

It was only when we switched formations it started going badly wrong. Throwing away 2-0 leads at West Ham and Fulham wasn’t because we were too defensive, just not good enough on the ball.

I do concede we were extremely poor thereafter particularly at home, when there was an onus on us to attack......but then we did miss Gross.

So the games we looked interested in attacking can be counted on one hand over the season? Nope, you go ahead and mourn CH, I’m looking forward to seeing more imagination in how we play. Changing tactics during games and not forever bigging up the opposition and suggesting we are not in the same class will be SO refreshing for this fan

Yes, it could all go wrong but then again it had anyway

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

So the games we looked interested in attacking can be counted on one hand over the season? Nope, you go ahead and mourn CH, I’m looking forward to seeing more imagination in how we play. Changing tactics during games and not forever bigging up the opposition and suggesting we are not in the same class will be SO refreshing for this fan

Yes, it could all go wrong but then again it had anyway

Not really, the league position at Christmas spoke for itself, but you don’t seem willing to accept that, so probably a pointless discussion.

Highest position since Mike Bailey, but that didn’t end well for him and ultimately didn’t end well for us either

I await with interest what Potter will do and of course want him to succeed, but equally we need to be realistic about where we are. Perhaps we’ll get some proper pace up front this summer - let’s hope so.....

What do you think success is next season?
For me survival and another good cup run...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not really, the league position at Christmas spoke for itself, but you don’t seem willing to accept that, so probably a pointless discussion.

Highest position since Mike Bailey, but that didn’t end well for him and ultimately didn’t end well for us either

I await with interest what Potter will do and of course want him to succeed, but equally we need to be realistic about where we are. Perhaps we’ll get some proper pace up front this summer - let’s hope so.....

What do you think success is next season?
For me survival and another good cup run...

Three 1-0’s and nine points, against the run of play in all three games. I was delighted but not fooled by it. Take those 9 points away and where would we have been?

We did play more expansively after that but CH bottled it after it didn’t work over a few games and went back to his defend defend defend style.

You’re right though, you still believe in CH, I had completely lost faith. We are not going to agree on this :smile:

Survival is absolutely good enough for me next season but I’d quite like to enjoy it, hated most of the football this season, and we nearly got relegated.

The Cups hold no interest for me next season, we need to concentrate on the league. Play the Under 23s and give them some top level experience. Don’t change it if we keep winning either.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Three 1-0’s and nine points, against the run of play in all three games. I was delighted but not fooled by it. Take those 9 points away and where would we have been.

1-0’s don’t count now then? Don’t tell Arsenal.....

A win is a win, I would take 0-0 over a 3-4 defeat every time, that is probably where we differ.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Three 1-0’s and nine points, against the run of play in all three games. I was delighted but not fooled by it. Take those 9 points away and where would we have been?

We did play more expansively after that but CH bottled it after it didn’t work over a few games and went back to his defend defend defend style.

You’re right though, you still believe in CH, I had completely lost faith. We are not going to agree on this :smile:

Survival is absolutely good enough for me next season but I’d quite like to enjoy it, hated most of the football this season, and we nearly got relegated.

Apologies Icy on my phone, and the only para that came through was the 1-0 one....

Seen the rest of the post now.

Yes, can’t argue with paras 2 and 3 - apologies [emoji2]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Unsurprising. I doubt he's playing on the left wing for Iran.

Equally, I doubt Syria have the quality of player regularly seen in the Premier League. But it shows the man can find the net!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No manager saying ‘FFS get back you clown, know your place’

It does make quite the difference. I wonder how differently his Albion career would be going if one of his long range efforts had gone in. He had one dip just over and another cannon back off the bar.. if either of those find the net then his perception is totally different.

Spanish Dave comes to mind a little bit with Jahanbakhsh, and the CLASSIC thread, "what does he do?". At the time of posting, that made sense. But then came the game where Dave found himself at right back and all of a sudden it just seemed to click for him - he became a force on our right wing and then started chipping in with goals and assists. What man, what a legend. I honestly believe the Jahanbakhsh story will be very different.

Worst case scenario, I can retire my green Jahanbakhsh 16 shirt along with the yellow David 21 shirt. :albion:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It does make quite the difference. I wonder how differently his Albion career would be going if one of his long range efforts had gone in. He had one dip just over and another cannon back off the bar.. if either of those find the net then his perception is totally different.

Spanish Dave comes to mind a little bit with Jahanbakhsh, and the CLASSIC thread, "what does he do?". At the time of posting, that made sense. But then came the game where Dave found himself at right back and all of a sudden it just seemed to click for him - he became a force on our right wing and then started chipping in with goals and assists. What man, what a legend. I honestly believe the Jahanbakhsh story will be very different.

Worst case scenario, I can retire my green Jahanbakhsh 16 shirt along with the yellow David 21 shirt. :albion:

Agreed. Fascinating few months ahead......he could be jettisoned as a dud by Christmas, or we could be fending off £50m bids after his 12 goals and 14 assists.........

I still genuinely have no idea which is most likely. I’m tending towards him being very good......Tony’s analytics team don’t recommend spunking 17m without some backup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here