Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europe and Champions League Final free to watch

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That's a poor response to a reasonable post. Just because someone thinks an old way is superior to the new, does not mean they are living in the past.

Well suggesting that the Champions League means less to fans than the European Cup defies reasonable logic. Can only put it down to misplaced nostalgia.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Wonder how many tickets assigned by Liverpool to loyal season ticket holders got onto the black market.

View attachment 110680

Friend of mine looked into going, and said online touts were selling for between £3000 to £5000.

He found one for £1200, and on closer inspection it was for a car parking space at the ground only.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well suggesting that the Champions League means less to fans than the European Cup defies reasonable logic. Can only put it down to misplaced nostalgia.

Never suggested it meant less to the fans only that the format is flawed. It is not a genuine Champions of Europe competition. All about money now which doesn’t detract from the fact that the revised format is flawed. Neither does it take away from the fact that there were some stunning games leading up to the final.

I guess renaming it to reflect that it’s not actually a competition for the Champion’s of Europe would be unthinkable.

I also maintain that it was a much bigger deal for football fans of the countries involved, rather than one for the supporters of the clubs taking part. Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As a competition it has merit because it's almost impossible to win without seeing off the best along the way. However, it comes at a hefty price in that the money has made almost all of Europe's domestic top leagues a closed shop.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?

No, partly because you no longer have a single club 'representing' a country (the trade-off is much better competition), and because teams aren't filled with 'local' players.

But every top club (including ours) has talent from around the world, so that change is nothing to do with the competition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I also maintain that it was a much bigger deal for football fans of the countries involved, rather than one for the supporters of the clubs taking part. Going nostalgic again, just about everyone got behind English teams in Europe, regardless of who they supported, can you say it’s still the same now?

True, that’s really changed. As a kid, in 76 I wanted West Ham to win the ECWC final, in 80 for Arsenal to do the same. Gutted when they both lost. Was elated watching Forest win the EC twice. That was all with no interest in those clubs whatsoever, except hating them in Albion league games.

Something changed.

Now, half the wider football world in this country love all heartbreak for any of the top 6, Newcastle, Villa, Leeds, Celtic, Rangers, Everton. NSC Europa League threads contain sheer enjoyment over Burnley or Everton crashing out.

Schadenfreude is huge now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I confidently predict that the winners of Europe's domestic leagues next season will be City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, PSG and Barca. Yet again. (Not to mention Celtic in Scotland, again.) Thanks for that UEFA.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I confidently predict that the winners of Europe's domestic leagues next season will be City, Bayern Munich, Juventus, PSG and Barca. Yet again. (Not to mention Celtic in Scotland, again.) Thanks for that UEFA.

Unless Real rebuild, plans to spend £400m on players this summer.

But it must be unparalleled in football history that the titles in Germany, England, France, Scotland and Italy are so predictable before a ball is kicked.

I used to like the alternating spells of success for Milan, Juve, Inter, with an occasional other club taking the title. Now it’s the same as Scotland.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I would suggest that the hype is incredible and the reaction more impressive these days. I lived in Liverpool when they won the European Cup last time and as an outsider I was blown away by the enthusiasm and feelgood factor that seemed to last for weeks. However, I believe that the competition is devalued by its nature (too easy to qualify) and the absurdity of the 'Champions' tag.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Agree with many comments above.

They should change it's name back to a more truthful The European Cup.

And I couldn't resist 51-1 on City going unbeaten in the league. Sad really.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As a competition it has merit because it's almost impossible to win without seeing off the best along the way. However, it comes at a hefty price in that the money has made almost all of Europe's domestic top leagues a closed shop.

Can't disagree with that point.

Re: quality of opposition, I looked (randomly) at Liverpool's 1980 winning run (home attendance in brackets)...

OPS 11-2 agg (21,013)
Aberdeen 5-0 agg (36,182)
CSKA Sofia 6-1 agg (37,255) - quarter
Bayern Munich 1-1 (44,543) - semi
Real Madrid 1-0 - final

So, basically, just three competitive matches.

This time around they had to get past PSG, Napoli, Red Star Belgrade, Bayern Munich, Porto, Barcelona - all twice - and then Spurs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Unless Real rebuild, plans to spend £400m on players this summer.

But it must be unparalleled in football history that the titles in Germany, England, France, Scotland and Italy are so predictable before a ball is kicked.

I used to like the alternating spells of success for Milan, Juve, Inter, with an occasional other club taking the title. Now it’s the same as Scotland.

The Milan teams haven't figured for years. It's Napoli and Roma that have fought it out for second.

And what happens is players get fed up finishing second so they leave, perpetuating the status quo.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
if someone offered me £10k then I might be tempted especially if I had been to one of the previous finals....

Ha, me too.

But imagine finding out that the STH who sits next to you week in, week out came good in the club ballot - and you didn't. You'd be pretty sick.

And then imagine finding out that s/he sold that ticket for £10K. You'd be very sick, I think?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Ha, me too.

But imagine finding out that the STH who sits next to you week in, week out came good in the club ballot - and you didn't. You'd be pretty sick.

And then imagine finding out that s/he sold that ticket for £10K. You'd be very sick, I think?

I wouldn't begrudge anyone taking a ridiculous offer of £10k. How long does it take the average person to save up £10k?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ha, me too.

No... life is like that , one day its great then the next day its less great.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Milan teams haven't figured for years. It's Napoli and Roma that have fought it out for second.

And what happens is players get fed up finishing second so they leave, perpetuating the status quo.

I was thinking back to all the years of Serie A, until circa 2010, where the Milan’s had invariably been forces in football.

With the top dog (Juve, Celtic, etc), grabbing the lion’s share of CL prize money, further self fulfilling the prophecy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"Yeah, but you aren't English champions...."

liverpool2.jpg

liverpool3.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't begrudge anyone taking a ridiculous offer of £10k. How long does it take the average person to save up £10k?

I can't think of a single justification to turn down that £10k.

All of a sudden I really want the Albion to make it to the Champions League final, just so I can sell my ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here