Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably this is the difference between 'chip' time and 'gun' time. Chip time is the more accurate measurement and is taken as you cross start/finish line from the chip in your number tag - this is the time you were texted. Gun time is the time from when they fired the klaxon (gun) to your finish - so if you started down the field and it took you 86 seconds to cross the start line after the klaxon sounded then this will explain the difference. (hope that did not sound patronising!)

Incidentally - I've never known such instant texting of results before - I had mine almost as soon as I crossed the line.

Was available really quickly. I didn't think of looking for a text to tell you my chip time!

matto.75

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know the answer but that's fantastic for your first go at the distance! I'm not sure how long you've been running, but it took me around 6 months before I bettered that with a 1:22:something.

Cheers Bozza, done the Worthing 10k earlier in the year, so this was my second organised race, really enjoyed the distance,as others had said thought it was brilliantly organised and was a perfect day for running.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I find myself feeling enthused by all this good running today. Not so enthused to actually get out myself today though, but I'm going to...

1. Take the plunge on a Garmin watch thingummy. Having spoken to a chap on the train about them a couple of weeks ago, and reading [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]'s stuff above, I think having something that will tell me (or buzz me presumably) if I stray outside of desired pacing will be beneficial. I only know, currently, when I get my half-mile updates from Strava.

2. Look at a first event, finally, for next Spring.

3. Make sure I get to 1000 miles for 2015. Briefly back in July I did think I could manage 1000 miles by November 23rd, which would have meant I'd done it in 10 months, but there's no chance of that now, so I'll just be happy to get to 1000 on or before NYE.

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
Bright 10 was superb today well organised, nice course and great weather.
A not too earth shattering 1:22 from me but loved the first stride to the last.
Bexhill Half on the 7th next for me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yellow Zamora shirt was me... :wink:

You were motoring. Saw you heading down the hill back in to Brighton near the Ovingdean turn. Just the sight of a Zamora shirt on a weekend like this gave me a little adrenaline boost.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
You were motoring. Saw you heading down the hill back in to Brighton near the Ovingdean turn. Just the sight of a Zamora shirt on a weekend like this gave me a little adrenaline boost.

Ha ha... Glad to have helped! Planned my running soundtrack perfectly, the music started to get a little bit more uptempo on the turn back and I kicked on a little quicker!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran it in 1:15:07, I haven't been able to prepare really, my knees have been a problem for a few weeks and I've got the Beachy Head marathon to worry about on saturday. I'm very concerned about how that's going to go, I've set a 4 hour target time based on the website suggesting to add 30-40 minutes to regular times. It will be my second marathon, so I know a little bit about what to expect but I went into Brighton this year feeling fit and strong, this one is very different so I'm going to be working on static stretching in the next few days and trying to build up the muscles.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran it in 1:15:07, I haven't been able to prepare really, my knees have been a problem for a few weeks and I've got the Beachy Head marathon to worry about on saturday. I'm very concerned about how that's going to go, I've set a 4 hour target time based on the website suggesting to add 30-40 minutes to regular times. It will be my second marathon, so I know a little bit about what to expect but I went into Brighton this year feeling fit and strong, this one is very different so I'm going to be working on static stretching in the next few days and trying to build up the muscles.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Brilliant effort and great even pacing. I didn't doubt it for a second though...

Sounds like there was some really good runs in Brighton. I did the Worthing 10k (warning - bit of a shambles at the start) in 43:26. Happy with that as I only tend to do 5ks. As I wasn't sure what time I was capable of running I went to the 'race predictor' on Runners World and got a prediction based on my previous day's 5k. It was accurate to within one second. Amazing.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester

I am running the Beachy Head on Saturday as well. Its my third time. My fastest BH is 4:27 whilst my pb for Brighton is 3:41 so its taken me 46 minutes longer. The touch bit I find is from Cuckmere Haven to Birling gaps as the hills on the seven sisters slow me up. It s beautiful course and with good support from the marshals. Enjoy it despite the knees!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] starring in one of the Argus photos. The current Argus caption for the gallery is Bright10K. Outstanding sports journalism there. (it's photo number 52 but the link seems to take you to the start of the slide show regardless)

http://www.theargus.co.uk/photos/2015/bright10/52/

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I am running the Beachy Head on Saturday as well. Its my third time. My fastest BH is 4:27 whilst my pb for Brighton is 3:41 so its taken me 46 minutes longer. The touch bit I find is from Cuckmere Haven to Birling gaps as the hills on the seven sisters slow me up. It s beautiful course and with good support from the marshals. Enjoy it despite the knees!

This is also my 3rd time and last year was my fastest 4:05.. Hoping to go sub 4 hrs but i'm not really sure that gonna happen now..Taken my foot of the pace this last week, which has opened the door to general groggyness.. oh well.

Havn't looked at the long range forecast, but i have a feeling it might be gusty with showers.. But yeah as you prob know, start as close to the front as comfortable because there's a few points were its single file which can slow you up alot. I find the first 19 miles are very runnable.. obv the sisters are hard... nail them and you'll get a good time. I think the indoor swimming pool is open this year.. and im definatly taking advantage of the food at the end this year!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] starring in one of the Argus photos. The current Argus caption for the gallery is Bright10K. Outstanding sports journalism there. (it's photo number 52 but the link seems to take you to the start of the slide show regardless)

Ha good spot! Picking my way through the starters while trying to avoid making an arse of myself by tripping over the barriers!

One to add to the collection after being on the front of the West Sussex Gazette Barns Green supplement and being in the race programme too this year!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ha good spot! Picking my way through the starters while trying to avoid making an arse of myself by tripping over the barriers!

One to add to the collection after being on the front of the West Sussex Gazette Barns Green supplement and being in the race programme too this year!

An [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] triptych over the mantlepiece, perhaps?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning running peeps. Sorry - been away since Sunday and only just catching up. Bright10 was brilliant, I thought. No PB for me as I was pacing a mate who was looking for under 1:30. Crossed the line in 1:25.23, and the whole race was ran to almost perfection (luck, as well as judgement).

Some decent negative splits in there in the second half, but the atmosphere helped – as did wearing a BOSH top, and subsequently being supported all the way around. There seemed to be a lot of decent times – the organisers have obviously done their homework on the course – so I look forward to really going for it next year and look to 1:15ish.

Great effort to all you others. Not sure what's next - Mince Pie 10, maybe??

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/932825654

Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 05.35.18.png

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I was there for the Bright10 and came home in 1.20.45. That's my first road run since the Brighton Half in 2014 (although there's various Tough Mudder's in between) so I'm very pleased with that. Splits are:

See you on my home turf for the Worthing Half in Feb! Would be good to meet a few of you beforehand.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

Who is that very odd looking character standing in the middle of photo 7? Is that his real head? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here