Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Meanwhile back in Europe.

"Hungarian PM Viktor Orban has declared victory in a referendum on mandatory EU migrant quotas, despite a low turnout that appeared to render it invalid.

Nearly 98% of those who took part supported the government's call to reject the EU plan.

But only 43% of the electorate voted, short of the 50% required to be valid.

A government spokesman said the outcome was binding "politically and legally" but the opposition said the government did not have the support it needed.

Mr Orban urged EU decision makers to take note of the result and said he would change Hungary's constitution to make the decision binding."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37528325

I wonder if Hungary will have to keep having referendums until the EU get the result they want.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Meanwhile back in Europe.

"Hungarian PM Viktor Orban has declared victory in a referendum on mandatory EU migrant quotas, despite a low turnout that appeared to render it invalid.

Nearly 98% of those who took part supported the government's call to reject the EU plan.

But only 43% of the electorate voted, short of the 50% required to be valid.

A government spokesman said the outcome was binding "politically and legally" but the opposition said the government did not have the support it needed.

Mr Orban urged EU decision makers to take note of the result and said he would change Hungary's constitution to make the decision binding."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37528325

I wonder if Hungary will have to keep having referendums until the EU get the result they want.

Do you actually read what you copy and paste?

The rule set before the Hungarian referendum was 50% of the electorate had to vote to make the result binding. Orban is now trying to weasle his way around this as only 43% did, most of those who opposed him abstained from voting. If anything he will need another referendum to get the result he wants.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Do you actually read what you copy and paste?

The rule set before the Hungarian referendum was 50% of the electorate had to vote to make the result binding. Orban is now trying to weasle his way around this as only 43% did, most of those who opposed him abstained from voting. If anything he will need another referendum to get the result he wants.

Duh, i read it and you (clever you) have just quoted what the article stated. Well done, you read it as well.

Should i run it by you the next time i want to copy an article.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Basically a growing economy needs migration so if Brexit is a success then migration will still be something we will have to live with!

Just as well everyone on here agrees with you, we will always need immigration. Leavers just differ that they want this number managed and controlled from The EU also rather than just wait and see how many come in every year.

Issues around Housing and the NHS were often cited by the leavers as issues that would be helped by leaving the EU but these are just domestic issues and nothing to do with the EU.

Strain on services and resources are directly affected by the amount of people that require them.Uncontrolled immigration from The EU is part of that problem. You simply cant get away from that fact and claim it has NO consequences in these areas.

So would you pay more for your food? If you would then all well and good but the vast majority I suspect would not! So you could argue we are all partly to blame!

We should pay what is fair for our food.
If fruit and veg are cheap partly because farmers can exploit migrant workers here with low wages and poor working conditions, or imported food is cheap because migrant workers are paid 60cents an hour in Australia or a few shillings in Kenya then its too cheap. You cant excuse exploitation because people will be miffed their carrots will go up in price.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Hungary: There were internal political reasons for a large abstention. Extrapolate if you wish and imagine a 100% turnout. You cant ignore that it would have been a substantial vote against the EU machine. Still rules are rules and I guess it remains invalid, at least legally.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Duh, i read it and you (clever you) have just quoted what the article stated. Well done, you read it as well.

Should i run it by you the next time i want to copy an article.

Perhaps you should understand what you copy and paste.

You contribution to the original post seems to think Orban has won. He has not.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
There were internal political reasons for a large abstention. Extrapolate if you wish and imagine a 100% turnout. You cant ignore that it would have been a substantial vote against the EU machine. Still rules are rules and I guess it remains invalid, at least legally.

There were and Orban is very much a politician you either like or hate with little middle ground.

However, the rules of this referendum was that 50% of the electorate had to vote, unlike ours those who did not support his stance just need not turn up on the day.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What an absurd idea, everyone knows British people can't do low-paid manual labour. They'd sooner live on the dole.

If the choice was living in cramped accommodation and working for someone who cared little for my rights whilst underpaying me with peanuts v remaining on the dole and hope something better comes along, i would go for the dole option as well.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
There were and Orban is very much a politician you either like or hate with little middle ground.

However, the rules of this referendum was that 50% of the electorate had to vote, unlike ours those who did not support his stance just need not turn up on the day.

Thank god our voters rated at 72.21% then and is legally binding.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
EU students and the UK tax payer.

2012 report. Nearly half EU students are failing to repay loans costing £11million

2014 report. EU students fail to repay loans to the value of £40million

July 2016

Students from EU states now owe a staggering £1.3bn in BSL's
current lending £958million pa.

So we pay for these EU kids to get a free education in the worlds best universities. You pay, I pay but they don't. Fantastic asset these EU students to us aren't they?

How many UK students aren't going to pay their tuition fees? The current unpaid debt is around £90bn, so the figure quoted for EU students is only around 1% of the total - given that EU students make up around 10% of all university students, it would seem that EU students aren't the problem!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Perhaps you should understand what you copy and paste.

You contribution to the original post seems to think Orban has won. He has not.

Orban will claim a victory, and yes, by the book the referendum didn't meet the 50% required. However, a substantial amount of people did vote and gave just about the most ringing endorsement ever in his favour. I think that was what [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] meant, I can't understand why you can't see that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So would you pay more for your food? If you would then all well and good but the vast majority I suspect would not!
Everyone would pay more, if that's what it cost. We'd perhaps eat a little less, less extravagantly, and waste less, as well as cutting back elsewhere.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
How many UK students aren't going to pay their tuition fees? The current unpaid debt is around £90bn, so the figure quoted for EU students is only around 1% of the total - given that EU students make up around 10% of all university students, it would seem that EU students aren't the problem!

Doesn't change the fact we shouldn't (by taxpayer) be paying for them. Does it? You think one 'slight' excuses the other? Whatever the ratio it is wasted TAX money. You might be happy about it but I'm not.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Orban will claim a victory, and yes, by the book the referendum didn't meet the 50% required. However, a substantial amount of people did vote and gave just about the most ringing endorsement ever in his favour. I think that was what [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] meant, I can't understand why you can't see that.

98% of the 43% voted for him. It still isn't a majority.

I'll repeat again what I said above;

In our referendum there were no extras it was a straight vote and people voted yes or no, so even if 43% of the electorate turned out in ours that result would still be binding.

The Hungarian referendum was different in that a threshold was added to make it legally binding. So rather than going to vote against Orban all those in opposition had to do was sit on their arses on the day and not take part to ensure the threshold was not reached, in other words there was no need to go and vote against him because not turning up ensured he would not win.

In all honesty this cannot be used as either a pro or anti EU poll because the undercurrent of this referendum was the political game playing of Orban himself who is attempting to set himself up as some kind of leader of a regional hub involving Poles, Czechs and Slovaks.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Doesn't change the fact we shouldn't (by taxpayer) be paying for them. Does it? You think one 'slight' excuses the other? Whatever the ratio it is wasted TAX money. You might be happy about it but I'm not.

The problem with many Brexiteers is that you don't look at the whole picture. UK students can study in many EU countries for very little (in some countries it's free). In doing so they will be significantly subsidised by local tax-payers. The whole point of the EU is that it's a club which aims to provide a better outcome for all. The problem is that on this side of the Channel we just don't seem to be able to cope with that. As a result, we come across as mean-spirited and even xenophobic. I'm fed up with this whole "Europe = Bad, Britain = Good" rhetoric that we keep being fed. We are gradually eroding the goodwill which much of the rest of the world had for us. It's thoroughly, thoroughly depressing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What these students is criminal by not giving their details when returning home. It is no better or worse than UK students who do the same when studying elsewhere in the EU.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thank god our voters rated at 72.21% then and is legally binding.

It's not legally binding, it is indicative and up to the government to decide whether to apply the result or not.

The government has chosen to apply the result.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The problem with many Brexiteers is that you don't look at the whole picture. UK students can study in many EU countries for very little (in some countries it's free). In doing so they will be significantly subsidised by local tax-payers. The whole point of the EU is that it's a club which aims to provide a better outcome for all. The problem is that on this side of the Channel we just don't seem to be able to cope with that. As a result, we come across as mean-spirited and even xenophobic. I'm fed up with this whole "Europe = Bad, Britain = Good" rhetoric that we keep being fed. We are gradually eroding the goodwill which much of the rest of the world had for us. It's thoroughly, thoroughly depressing.
Please highlight a quote where anybody has said that it's okay for UK students to defraud EU countries by not paying university fees.

If you can't then I suggest you retract your rant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here