The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Assange.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some really bizarre and unlikely bedfellows today on Assange on NSC and in the wider world:

a) The far right and Trump/Russia arse lickers. People who would’ve hated Assange originally as a traitor to the West, who only like Assange now because :wanker: Donald praises him . Scary that a flock of sheep follow Donald’s every shift.

b) Diane Abbott and friends who see Assange as some kind of freedom fighter, purely because he damaged their old foe Capitalist USA. Ignoring his one-sided damage to Hilary, that allowed Trump in the door.

This single matter sums up the madness at the extremes of politics in the world today.

My only hope is that 75% of the UK population and beyond, sit quietly somewhere in the civilised middle.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Some really bizarre and unlikely bedfellows today on Assange on NSC and in the wider world:

a) The far right and Trump/Russia arse lickers. People who would’ve hated Assange originally as a traitor to the West, who only like Assange now because :wanker: Donald praises him . Scary that a flock of sheep follow Donald’s every shift.

b) Diane Abbott and friends who see Assange as some kind of freedom fighter, purely because he damaged their old foe Capitalist USA. Ignoring his one-sided damage to Hilary, that allowed Trump in the door.

This single matter sums up the madness at the extremes of politics in the world today.

My only hope is that 75% of the UK population and beyond, sit quietly somewhere in the civilised middle.

I don't know, maybe there are some people who simply view whistleblowing or exposing state crimes as being a legitimate reason to disclose information, even if it is classified.

Maybe some people believe that you cannot break the law, and then use the law to protect yourself from exposure.

I think you forgot to account for those people, there probably are a few.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know, maybe there are some people who simply view whistleblowing or exposing state crimes as being a legitimate reason to disclose information, even if it is classified.

Maybe some people believe that you cannot break the law, and then use the law to protect yourself from exposure.

I think you forgot to account for those people, there probably are a few.

What would NSC’s resident right-wingers have thought about ‘whistle blowing’ against the USA and NATO in all ages pre the rise of Trump?

I’d confidentally guess they’d have considered him/her/them a traitor to the West.

This smacks of simply liking Assange because in the end he’s helped their hero Trump.

No one will ever admit to that though.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What would NSC’s resident right-wingers have thought about ‘whistle blowing’ against the USA and NATO in all ages pre the rise of Trump?

I’d confidentally guess they’d have considered him/her/them a traitor to the West.

This smacks of simply liking Assange because in the end he’s helped their hero Trump.

No one will ever admit to that though.

That's your assertion. Sounds like you think you know. I think that's a bit presumptuous though.

People who support Donald Trump don't tend to be the same people who would have supported a Bush or a Clinton, as far as I can tell.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's your assertion. Sounds like you think you know. I think that's a bit presumptuous though.

People who support Donald Trump don't tend to be the same people who would have supported a Bush or a Clinton, as far as I can tell.

What do you think of Trump, his attitude to climate change, to the environment, his reaction to the civil rights murder?

I’m not left wing in the slightest, but I detest him for all of that and more.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

The only people who can claim Assange are the Libertarians.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not sure it's as simple as left and right. As a right leaning person ( I don't consider myself far right though ! ) I have no issue with what Wikileaks has done. Indeed I think it helps hold governments to account. Most the leaks have no detriment to 'national security' - they are just highlighting bad deeds. The US helicopter attack being a prime example. Governments try and keep too much secret. Wikileaks and the US obsession with getting Assange reminds me of the ridiculous lengths Thatcher went to to try and surpress Peter Wright and Spycatcher. Far from seeing the people that leak this stuff as traitors I see them as patriots of the people ...... and that's coming from someone that's signed the Official Secrets Act ..... twice ! And I'd be more than prepared to break it if I had information that exposed government corruption, hypocracy or general mis-management.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you play with fire, rightly or wrongly, you will inevitably end up getting burned.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I sure he has a point somewhere but he comes across as such an obnoxious, self centred sleaze ball. Personally, I’d rather he kept himself out of Britain and caused his havoc back home. He’s cost our country enough money - if he doesn’t get extradited then send him home to Aussi.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The only people who can claim Assange are the Libertarians.
And investigative journalists, and their allies, that believe that protection for those that expose wrong-doing by governments is an important part of a functioning democracy?
That's who I am mainly seeing step up in (reluctant) defence.

'First they came for the egotistical, mysogynist ********s...'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not you. Our country doesn't hold a itself to a decent standard and it doesn't practice what it preaches. Bombing countries into a democracy is an oxymoron.
I don't agree with you. Firstly, 'our country' isn't one static thing - it was Blair and his government that lead us to war with Iraq, and I doubt our current government agrees with that decision. I also believe we do practice what we preach - we preach human rights, free speech (except hate speech etc), the right to change governments etc, and we allow our citizens those things. Places like China, Russia, and countries in the middle east do not. And we aren't generally bombing countries into democracy - the places we have been intervening with have had governments bombing their own civilians before we've got involved.

Are you one of the ones who thought Assad should have handed his military over to Al-Nusra or Al-Sham?[/QUOTE]No, I thought the UN should have done more to prevent the civilians being attacked in Syria, rather than Russia and the US arming each side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't agree with you. Firstly, 'our country' isn't one static thing - it was Blair and his government that lead us to war with Iraq, and I doubt our current government agrees with that decision.

It was backed by the Tories as well. I’m no defender of Blair, but it wasn’t just his party who supported the war in Iraq.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was backed by the Tories as well. I’m no defender of Blair, but it wasn’t just his party who supported the war in Iraq.
Yes, but it was our government that provided the 'proof' that Iraq had WOMD. Given that they definitely had those, against international law, it was right of the Tories to back the government.

The blame for not checking their facts lies with the government, not the MPs that subsequently supported them.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Why all the political clap-trap?He's an accused rapist,and hopefully will be extradited to Sweden to face charges in court there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why all the political clap-trap?He's an accused rapist,and hopefully will be extradited to Sweden to face charges in court there.

Do keep up. Those charges were dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here