Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bos-Herze v Ireland

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Good or bad. I believe to qualify to play for a country you should HAVE to be born there whether mother was living there, working there or on holiday. I dont agree with this past family qualification.

Really?!

Several of my friends were born abroad as their parents were in the RAF. Would they then be included as non English?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Good or bad. I believe to qualify to play for a country you should HAVE to be born there whether mother was living there, working there or on holiday. I dont agree with this past family qualification.

So, a hypothetical.

My Mother and Father are English, as are their parents.
I was born in France due to parents working out there at the time.
We moved back home to England when I was 6 months old.

Am I French?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So, a hypothetical.

My Mother and Father are English, as are their parents.
I was born in France due to parents working out there at the time.
We moved back home to England when I was 6 months old.

Am I French?

yes!! Just enjoy your Gallic ways. I don't think there's a problem with people representing who on earth they want to. I find it tiresome when people need to define themselves as 1/2 this, 1/2 that. Eg. People who are burning England claim they're half Scottish half Irish due to parents or whatever.... That last bit wasn't aimed at you btw, just a general comment

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You must really hate it when Jamaica born Raheem Sterling plays for England.

In fairness to BG, that's a fairly poor comparison, Raheem Sterling has lived in England the majority of his life, legend has it that Richard Keogh and Cyrus Christie are eligible having had a pint of Guiness together in 2009

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think a bigger problem are the opportunist nationals who jump on bandwagons when a lesser nation makes a tournament. People like Jason McAteer playing for ROI, for example. I'd be pissed off if I was a long suffering Welsh football fan seeing a whole bunch of half (or quarter) Welsh opportunists fill out the national team for 2016 just because they add about 5% more quality to the squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would make exceptions with people working for the british government or in the services because to all intents and purpose that is England but not somebody whose parent were working for Shell in Abu Dhabi etc. or in a bar in Spain. I am just saying this isa personal view which anyone is entitled to not saying it is right.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Oh blimey it would be such a shame to give up all those gold medals that Bradley Wiggins won...and he wouldn't even be able to claim paternity because his dad is an Aussie. They would have to go to Belgium instead...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I just don't understand the attraction of that Godforsaken country. It's dreary, miserable, grey, it nearly all looks the same, and anyone who has half a brain flees it the second they hit adulthood. "Oh the people are so friendly", yeah, well people are friendly everywhere if you are nice to them, except France.

That said, I am duty bound to want them to win tonight as my wife's entire family are Irish, and therefore my son is stained with Irish blood. Come on the Paddys, and hopefully they'll get humiliated in the finals.

Wow your lucky son having such a reasonable and intelligent father...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Oh blimey it would be such a shame to give up all those gold medals that Bradley Wiggins won...and he wouldn't even be able to claim paternity because his dad is an Aussie. They would have to go to Belgium instead...

That would be no loss as he didnt win them for a proper sport. Stand back and await the onslaught.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As I have maintained previousl;y cycling is not a proper sport IMHO.
Maintain as you wish, doesn't stop it being filed firmly in the cabinet marked 'BG Talking Bollocks'.

I think we're going to need to expand to a 2nd cabinet before long, mind.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My money is on [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] or [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] as BG's 'proper' account.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That would be no loss as he didnt win them for a proper sport. Stand back and await the onslaught.

bg.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here