Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well, none of the mods seem to be taking this seriously and are, therefore, condoning thins behaviour and view as acceptable in this community. I understand that they have the right to run this place however they wish, but I do not have to agree and do not have to take part in it. Hopefully, one day, they will see the error of their ways and this community will not endorse this grotesque ideology. When that day comes I may return.
I can not find how to delete my profile so it would be appreciated if [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] would delete my profile and all my previous posts.
And with that: goodbye.

You should take the stay and fight attitude, not the run away and let them win one.
It's just NSC, it's not serious and it really doesn't matter, it's like a playground for adults that can do some very good things but is mostly to be not taken seriously, and you are taking the fairy seriously?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Warwick Lightfoot The Telegraph " Here`s how we could see lower food prices after Brexit " 5 May 2017.

Seems that Mr Lightfoot is merely describing a race to the bottom for food standards with price being the only deciding factor. Loads of things can be cheaper but with that you lower quality and protections.

He states "Unlike the House of Lords, I am optimistic: after Brexit, consumer welfare will be increased by access to the world’s most competitive suppliers and I believe we will see lower food prices. It also provides a significant opportunity to raise the efficiency and sustainability of the UK’s farming sector". So we'll all be eating chlorinated chicken from the states where standards are, if channel 4 dispatches is anything to go by, rock bottom. Exactly how is consumer welfare increased in those scenarios?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
[MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] in future you could just keep replying with this:-

[tweet]1137689381639204865[/tweet]

Way too much intelligent debating for the Brexit numptys I'm afraid. I mean, if they have trouble with the simple question of CUSTOMS UNION vs HARD BORDER what hope do we have that they will take in the truth of the sentiments expressed in the video?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well, none of the mods seem to be taking this seriously and are, therefore, condoning thins behaviour and view as acceptable in this community. I understand that they have the right to run this place however they wish, but I do not have to agree and do not have to take part in it. Hopefully, one day, they will see the error of their ways and this community will not endorse this grotesque ideology. When that day comes I may return.
I can not find how to delete my profile so it would be appreciated if [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] would delete my profile and all my previous posts.
And with that: goodbye.

After that you need to stay away too, for at least six months otherwise the vultures will be circling.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Warwick Lightfoot The Telegraph " Here`s how we could see lower food prices after Brexit " 5 May 2017.

Seems that Mr Lightfoot is merely describing a race to the bottom for food standards with price being the only deciding factor. Loads of things can be cheaper but with that you lower quality and protections.

He states "Unlike the House of Lords, I am optimistic: after Brexit, consumer welfare will be increased by access to the world’s most competitive suppliers and I believe we will see lower food prices. It also provides a significant opportunity to raise the efficiency and sustainability of the UK’s farming sector". So we'll all be eating chlorinated chicken from the states where standards are, if channel 4 dispatches is anything to go by, rock bottom. Exactly how is consumer welfare increased in those scenarios?

I have just read the article. My first impression was, as is stated above, does this mean accepting lower food standards? The article is only concerned with final cost. As to whether the 17% figure is true, i can't say. The full workings out of how he got to this figure are not supplied.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I see Boris Johnson is promising tax cuts to higher earners. This is estimated to cost the government £9.6bn and will be funded from the no deal brexit fund. Beyond the Tories helping the better off, does this mean Boris thinks that no deal will not happen and/or that the £350m per week that we will save is better going to higher earners by paying less tax?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see Boris Johnson is promising tax cuts to higher earners. This is estimated to cost the government £9.6bn and will be funded from the no deal brexit fund. Beyond the Tories helping the better off, does this mean Boris thinks that no deal will not happen and/or that the £350m per week that we will save is better going to higher earners by paying less tax?

Which brings me back to my comments on the German health system; you won’t get an NHS to match the German system with further tax cuts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sympathies and respect, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]. A few comments and a question:

Was the name PPF forced upon him? Does it grate? I'd be very surprised if either were true but stand corrected if so. However....

I have been reminded today via a PM that this poor fellow is of low intelligence and should be left in peace. He once pointed out I had been rude to him, and I apologised. No response. My conclusion was (sit down, this may shock you) he was taking the piss. But maybe he simply didn't read my apology. It happens.

I have had him on ignore for some time, on the same ground that by and large I have our cat on 'ignore'. I think the parady account does it's job well. So....

fair enough, for now, that will do for me. Calm yourself :mad:Plooks - she's not worth it :thumbsup:

Cheers. The profile is not of his choosing. I expect he's got used to it but it is how the user name was dealt with.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I have just read the article. My first impression was, as is stated above, does this mean accepting lower food standards? The article is only concerned with final cost. As to whether the 17% figure is true, i can't say. The full workings out of how he got to this figure are not supplied.

Even as a 100% Remainer, I'm all for looking on the bright side if we did crash out. After all good news might be a bit thin on the ground to say the least. And one of the worst things about the EU is (from the consumer perspective and also the environmental one) the CAP and if somehow there was a reduction in food prices then OK. But as you imply there will be the 'margins' along the supply chain to consider plus the pound will almost certainly crash and then automatically everything imported becomes dearer. So this might all be unicorn chasing, I'm afraid. (Plus the UK's rural economy will be in melt-down.)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I agree with much of what [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] posted. While it's hard for standards to slip much further than some of the practices around Dutch pork production, chlorinated chicken and shipping in stuff from the States that's of such poor quality the locals won't touch it, is not only bad for the UK but bad for the environment. One would hope there'd be a huge consumer revolt. I'd certainly move to buying British and organic as standard and eating meat less. Whether our agricultural sector could cope with increased organic demands without subsidies is another quesiton all together.

The reduced food costs argument is far from good news unless you like eating cheap, dangerous tasteless muck.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you think its true that food prices in the UK are 17% higher in the EU then out of the EU i saw in a report or is this rubbish ?

It appears that there is nothing in the report on which to base that figure, so in the absence of any information to support it, maybe he should take Boris and Nige's lead and, if you are going to make things up, go proper LARGE :shrug:

But his basic assumption of deregulating to make food costs lower went well last time, didn't it ?

news-graphics-2007-_647687a.jpg

Yoda

English & European
I agree with much of what [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] posted. While it's hard for standards to slip much further than some of the practices around Dutch pork production, chlorinated chicken and shipping in stuff from the States that's of such poor quality the locals won't touch it, is not only bad for the UK but bad for the environment. One would hope there'd be a huge consumer revolt. I'd certainly move to buying British and organic as standard and eating meat less. Whether our agricultural sector could cope with increased organic demands without subsidies is another quesiton all together.

The reduced food costs argument is far from good news unless you like eating cheap, dangerous tasteless muck.

It's not just the Chlorinated Chicken that does it for me re US imorted food, but the whole animal welfare side of things.

The majority of their meat is near enough battery farmed (not just the poultry) with little regulation for animal welfare. This then in turn has a knock on effect on the standard & flavour of the meat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I didn’t think the us or anyone else for that matter, were allowed to export to the uk sub standard food as we will still be taking EU standards. Didn’t MayBot say that was a red line that the us would not allow to be crossed and it was all agreed by parliament in one of the myriad of votes the pushed through.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I didn’t think the us or anyone else for that matter, were allowed to export to the uk sub standard food as we will still be taking EU standards. Didn’t MayBot say that was a red line that the us would not allow to be crossed and it was all agreed by parliament in one of the myriad of votes the pushed through.

In Theresa May's deal EU standards were preserved for 21 months. Her deal was, of course, as popular as a fart in a spacesuit. If we go out on WTO Terms under no deal then there is no retention of EU standards and the door is open for Trump to flood us with shit, almost literally.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There is no doubt in my mind that Boris will take the reigns, we will crash out with no deal in order for his chums to make a shed load of money by trading with the US, selling off the NHS, taking over our food markets etc. And this country will take a turn into the endgame.
And those that voted for this don’t even know how badly this is going to **** their lives.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
It's not just the Chlorinated Chicken that does it for me re US imorted food, but the whole animal welfare side of things.

The majority of their meat is near enough battery farmed (not just the poultry) with little regulation for animal welfare. This then in turn has a knock on effect on the standard & flavour of the meat.

...and the nutritional value and healthiness of the food. It will introduce more toxins, chemicals and hormones into food chains and ultimately our bodies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here