Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I went veggie in 1990 and I eat very well (too well some might say). It's much easier now, with all the veggie products in the main supermarkets, than it was then.

I don't subscribe to the "Meat is Murder" mantra, if someone wants to eat something, it's up to them and their conscience.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The tone they take shouldn't make a difference. Research the issue for yourself. The way in which humans process animals causes untold suffering and is ecologically unsustainable. Don't be so precious.

its also largely hyped up and using worst cases and foreign methods. indeed dont be so precious.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have no problem in giving up meat( I would really struggle to give up fish though) certainly a lot of M&S food are based around a vegetarian diet and we have at least 4 meat free days a week anyway.

What I struggle with is so called vegetarian food that " looks and tastes" like " real meat". I don't get that.

My brother and sister in law are vegetarians and will also cook vegan food for us, which is very much nut and vegetables based food and yes, it is very nice, but the only thing I find with that sort of cooking I said that it is a bit bland. I tend to drink more wine or beer to wash it down though. Ha ha .

Having said all that, bacon sandwiches are the gift of the gods to humanity.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The tone they take shouldn't make a difference. Research the issue for yourself. The way in which humans process animals causes untold suffering and is ecologically unsustainable. Don't be so precious.

Do your research too, it has been proven that plants feel and that individual leaves communicate with other leaves when they are picked. Should we stop eating plant life too?

The human anatomy is set up to eat a combination of meat and vegetation, hence our incisors for tearing meat and molars for chewing the cud!

If you have an issue with how meat is farmed, then that’s a different question all together.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

The tone anybody takes talking about anything makes all the difference.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I gave up eating meat nearly 2 years ago because of a health problem.
I found giving up was easier than I thought, I don't miss eating meat at all.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Quorn is half the price of meat and delicious, as are many other veggie products.

I’ve tried Quorn on a number of occasions due to partners family being veggie, and I’m sorry, but ‘delicious’ is your own opinion. I think it tastes like cardboard.

As for the price, I have bought it, and in comparison of the price of the meat I often buy from the butchers, in quantity/price wise, it is much more expensive.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Not being precious, Tesco; I am merely pointing out that the language used by the poster does nothing to attract most of the population, who don't consider 'meat to be murder' to their cause.
Nothing to do with being precious at all.
Far better to use logical argument to put forward their point of view, than immediately take a stance that people will find extreme and thus alienating them from the message.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I admit to being one of the number of veggies, although I do eat fish
Someone said that makes me a piscarian.
Like Sussex Nomad , the only thing I have missed is a bacon sandwich.

It's pescatarian isn't it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I went veggie in 1990 and I eat very well (too well some might say). It's much easier now, with all the veggie products in the main supermarkets, than it was then.

I don't subscribe to the "Meat is Murder" mantra, if someone wants to eat something, it's up to them and their conscience.

Pretty much the same time as me, I think, and your philosophy mirrors my own.

We cook meat for the kids (weekend bacon sandwiches are a must for my son) and when we entertain. Each to their own and all that.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Saw a site that said half a billion fewer animals were slaughtered since 2007 due to a reduction in meat consumption.

When it comes to veggie recipes you can either look online or go for recipe books.

The Bosh books have some excellent recipes. It’s down to how much effort you put into cooking really as you could either just replace the mince in a spaghetti Bol with Quorn or you could make your own Seitan and add it to a home made curry paste and go for a curry.

I’m now full veggie and probably 80% of my diet is vegan just by simplicity of living with a vegan,

I never really got into it for the animals if I’m honest more health benefits.

I didn’t start but noticed I was eating veggie 5 days a week at home. So I decided I’d go full veggie for a month and see how I felt. I made a point of making zero commitment to anyone about going longer.

As it was after a month I really didn’t miss it that much and have continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Sorry but if we all gave up meat,animals would not roam free and content.The reality is that many animals are bred for food and if they were not on the menu they would not be bred and eventually they could disappear or become destructive feral animals.

I don’t think many vegetarian/vegans envisage a world with huge herds of wild cattle roaming about the Sussex Downs. These animals are raised for the sole purpose of being eaten. For an individual cow, perhaps being alive for two years is better than never having lived, but as an entire practice it is abhorrent to some people. They are bred en masse for meat and dairy, grown as quickly as possible and the. Despatched as efficiently as possible. For most large scale operations, welfare is considered only as far as the legal requirements. It is nothing more than red tape to the big companies.

Nobody is going to convince anyone else to change their ways with passionate arguments, horrific videos or restaurant invasions. We each come to our own decisions in our own way. I’m expecting the economic be the thing that makes the biggest difference. Eventually, meat alternatives (including ‘lab grown meat’) will become much cheaper than real meat. That will be the biggest driver

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Pretty much the same time as me, I think, and your philosophy mirrors my own.

We cook meat for the kids (weekend bacon sandwiches are a must for my son) and when we entertain. Each to their own and all that.

I'm not quite so accommodating with guests; they get offered food but if they want meat I direct them to the co-op and the cooker.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I don’t buy all this ‘meat is murder’ bullshit. Eating meat is perfectly natural. It’s not murder when a lion kills an antelope, is it? But it is the amount of meat we eat, and the way that we process it that is the problem. I’d like to get down to eating meat only a couple of times a week, and only eating really good quality organic produce, rather than the crap that is generally available in supermarkets. If everyone did that then surely we would be a healthier society and the planet would benefit?

Problem is, eating quality meat is expensive. If you’re a single mum with four kids then I totally understand why a battery tortured chicken for £4 is a necessity.

Nail on head.

DxE and other such meat extremists are large disliked by the veggie/vegan community.

Everyone has a right to eat whatever they like without those muppets running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Just spent the past 2 weeks+ in India eating veggie curry's for breakfast, lunch & dinner. I was quite happy to but it certainly made the bowels work overtime! Back now in Spain and I think to normal mixed diet, fish, chicken, fruit & veg. Red meat maybe once or twice a month. It's salad time now in any case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here