Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Government spends £100m on consultants for Brexit. Oh and it's a US firm too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47338534

In December, the Treasury said it had provided more than £4.2bn for Brexit preparations since 2016.

WTF? What have we even got to show for all that money? And some fools still think it's a good idea.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

In December, the Treasury said it had provided more than £4.2bn for Brexit preparations since 2016.

WTF? What have we even got to show for all that money? And some fools still think it's a good idea.

More alarming news is that the Government has spent over £39 billion on foreign aid in that time.I for one would rather prepare for leaving a corrupt EU than fund Eritrean Am dram classes.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Baker lite;8789904 said:
On our way.

I didn't really appreciate this long running joke when you first started it all those months ago, but I have to say that with 35 days to go, it is getting funnier by the day :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

That's gone down really well in Slovenia too.

Britanski minister ponosen na Slovence, "vazale Sovjetske zveze"

o_5842085_1024.jpg

https://www.vecer.com/britanski-minister-ponosen-na-slovence-vazale-sovjetske-zveze-6665499

Milan Brglez,former president of the Slovenian parliament: “The British foreign minister comes to Slovenia asking us for a favour(to discuss with the foreign minister how to avoid a no-deal Brexit)while arrogantly insulting us. We were never a 'vassal state of the Soviet Union"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
More alarming news is that the Government has spent over £39 billion on foreign aid in that time.I for one would rather prepare for leaving a corrupt EU than fund Eritrean Am dram classes.

Leaving the EU isn't going to stop our 0.7% of gross national income going to foreign aid. Whatever you would rather spend it on, the bill for Brexit isn't what was campaigned for, what was campaigned for is that we would be better off. That was clearly a lie. Not the reason many people want to leave, but a lie nonetheless.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wonder if Watford nil does consultation for Tower Hamlets council?Surely there can't be two people that stupid,can there?I know they are short of homes there,but surely this would have looked better on the side of a bus?

absolutefkwits.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's gone down really well in Slovenia too.

Britanski minister ponosen na Slovence, "vazale Sovjetske zveze"

View attachment 104907

https://www.vecer.com/britanski-minister-ponosen-na-slovence-vazale-sovjetske-zveze-6665499

Milan Brglez,former president of the Slovenian parliament: “The British foreign minister comes to Slovenia asking us for a favour(to discuss with the foreign minister how to avoid a no-deal Brexit)while arrogantly insulting us. We were never a 'vassal state of the Soviet Union"
Not really a shock that the Indy reports this non news. By many reckonings, Yugoslavia was a vassal state of the Soviet Union, quite what the fuss is i don't fathom.

Oh yes I do, just another convenient way to have a go at Brexit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
[tweet]1098893000103682048[/tweet]

Isn't it a bit misleading to say 'German Manufacturer Moves Headquarters'? Wenzel's HQ remains in Germany - I think this story is about them moving their UK office from one part of England to another. Not bad news for sure but it hardly offsets the thousands of jobs being lost elsewhere.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not really a shock that the Indy reports this non news. By many reckonings, Yugoslavia was a vassal state of the Soviet Union, quite what the fuss is i don't fathom.

Oh yes I do, just another convenient way to have a go at Brexit.

Non news? Why is it being reported on every Slovenian newspapers websites and the former president of the Slovenian parliament is saying Hunt 'arrogantly insulted' them?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Non news? Why is it being reported on every Slovenian newspaper's website and the former president of the Slovenian parliament is saying Hunt 'arrogantly insulted' them?
Newspapers have to have stories. People want to be upset or offended at just about anything these days. And they are wrong as Yugoslavia had an aligned policy with the Soviet Union up till 1948 and afterwards although given more freedom than some, still had to keep in line with the Russians. It was a vassal state.

But it's not something that I think matters in the grand scheme of things.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

On our way.

What an ignorant, selfish and spiteful comment to make. I'm hoping this is one of your provocative posts, the usual type just to try to get a reaction and not a genuinely held belief. If it is the latter, I pity you and those around you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Newspapers have to have stories. People want to be upset or offended at just about anything these days. And they are wrong as Yugoslavia had an aligned policy with the Soviet Union up till 1948 and afterwards although given more freedom than some, still had to keep in line with the Russians. It was a vassal state.

I think it is more something to have a go at Jeremy Hunt for rather than Brexit as such.

However, let's keep Brexit in mind, where we have this great promise of negotiating wonderful trade deals around the world. Whether you think it's right or wrong, our diplomats will have to do their research and educate themselves thoroughly in customs, historical no go areas and what have you. We've not even left the EU yet and we have Liam Fox upsetting the Japanese, Hunt saying stupid things. If you are going to say something like that, historically accurate or not, make bloodywell sure it isn't going to upset the people you're talking to. It's like we're sending the village idiots out to mess up trade deals and international relations before we've even started.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

But you were all saying a few months ago that they hadn't spent anything preparing for it. So what have things suddenly changed and your moaning about this now. I'd say better to be prepared than not

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Thing is, you're English, they're Slovenian. It doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, if they're offended by what he said, they're offended.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think it is more something to have a go at Jeremy Hunt for rather than Brexit as such.

Agreed, my comment was more about why it ended up on this thread as I found it irrelevant. But he may have offended people which isn't good. I am still perplexed though as by most metrics, Yugoslavia was a vassal state so why are they claiming not to have been? Maybe the Germans won't accept their Nazi history next? It is absurd.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But you were all saying a few months ago that they hadn't spent anything preparing for it. So what have things suddenly changed and your moaning about this now. I'd say better to be prepared than not

Are you happy with how much it is all costing? With less in return, potentially trade deals around the world that will be less attractive than the EU gets? Looking at £45bn in known costs just to leave, let alone economic impacts. No pain no gain? Lots of pain no gain?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thing is, you're English, they're Slovenian. It doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, if they're offended by what he said, they're offended.

Good for them. Perhaps they should look at the history books? And I say that as someone who would like to show respect, especially for a host, but that doesn't alter history. He was actually listing their achievements as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here