Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
pasta - help me out with this one. Nigel Farage - the man of the people who goes to the pub dressed as Rupert The Bear - used to say something like there'd be this 'uprising the like of which this country has never seen before' if whatever it is he wants wasn't delivered because it's a 'betrayal' but like most things with Brexit the actual details were sketchy to say the least.

I'm thinking a couple of thousand people - Free Stephen Yaxley-Lennon protest numbers, who'll probably be there too raging if his probation terms allow it - made of knuckle draggers, oddballs, ex-football hooligans (daytime TV and banning orders permitting if the demo is too close to a ground) greasy haired woman from Essex and Regal cigarette smokers from Barnsley who had to vote for Brexit 'cos ders tooo menee Mooslims'.

I hope this is tongue in cheek otherwise it reeks of intellectual superiority and that is not a smell I particularly enjoy.
It might surprise a few on this thread but 17.4m people weren't entirely made up of racist thicko's who haven't got a clue what is going on. In my acquaintance, I know lawyers, solicitors, financiers, teachers, entrepreneurs, designers, consultants, public sector workers and all manner of business people who voted Leave and haven't changed their minds. Difficult to grasp. I know, but there you go. A whole cross section of people voted Remain and a whole cross section of people voted Leave.
It is clear, that since 2016, it serves some people's purpose to categorise those who differ in view to them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
She said it when she was fairly confident her deal would get through. It didn't although she tried three times.

She also said it before the cabinet briefing papers outlining what No Deal actually looked like were published. Amazing how that line stopped being used almost instantly when it was spelled out to the Government what No Deal actually entails.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hope this is tongue in cheek otherwise it reeks of intellectual superiority and that is not a smell I particularly enjoy.
It might surprise a few on this thread but 17.4m people weren't entirely made up of racist thicko's who haven't got a clue what is going on. In my acquaintance, I know lawyers, solicitors, financiers, teachers, entrepreneurs, designers, consultants, public sector workers and all manner of business people who voted Leave and haven't changed their minds. Difficult to grasp. I know, but there you go. A whole cross section of people voted Remain and a whole cross section of people voted Leave.
It is clear, that since 2016, it serves some people's purpose to categorise those who differ in view to them.

I agree with you, however I read the post you're quoting more as being who would actually turn up to protest if A50 was withdrawn. I also agree with [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] on that front, the ones who are most likely to protest are the ones who usually do.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Government said no deal is better than a bad deal......how does that fit your argument

The 2017 Tory manifesto explicitly says we will smoothly leave the EU with a deal:

Untitled.png

Unless you are advocating parties undemocratically reneging on manifesto promises, you must be of the opinion that we shouldn't be leaving the EU without a deal in place, which ensures a smooth and orderly Brexit. :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I voted remain before and I would vote remain again if there was another vote, but I don't think there should be one. All the stuff about the 2016 vote being 'advisory' is a smokesreen, people voted on the basis that the government would accede to a majority decision, and therefore that should be the case.

If another vote did take place then even if there was a swing towards remain at most it would be something like 53-47, which is not a significant mandate and would leave more people being disenfranchised than there are at present. Even so there's a fair chance that the next vote would still be to leave the EU, the margins are too tight to call.

The attitude taken by many remain supporters towards those that voted leave has contributed towards leavers doubling down in their position and if I'd voted leave I suspect I would have done the same.

Leave voters are not all racists (although all racists did vote leave), they are not all stupid. Remain voters constantly pecking at them in respect of the economic costs of Brexit is irrelevant as Leavers didn't vote for Brexit because of its impact on GDP. Equally a bit more thought from Leavers in terms of the impact that Brexit has upon Northern Ireland, supply chains and those industries that benefit from EU wide grants and funds would make sense too, as industries such as mine have been significantly hit by the vote in terms of exports and employment.

The EU is bureaucratic, costly and has systemic weaknesses that allow corruption and patronage, all valid criticisms. The economic benefits of a single market, protection of worker and consumer rights and freedom of movement for me outweigh those costs, but if something thinks the opposite their viewpoint and vote should be respected.

What has happened since the vote has been an embarrassment on both sides, culminating with the "oh aren't we so smug Bollocks to Brexit" T shirts being worn by the Lib Dems and the ignorant childishness of the Brexit party turning their backs last week.

What should be done now is politicians acting in an adult manner to negotiate a deal that will minimise the economic damage of Brexit, especially the lunacy of a no deal one. It's better to lose two fingers than a whole hand and that should be the aim. We've had a decade of low growth due to the destruction of the global economy due to the activities of bankers, accountants and lawyers, we should now do our best to negotiate a relationship with the EU that allows for trade, co-operation and peaceful coexistence.

What we are seeing instead is self serving and manipulative politicians telling whatever lies they think will most impress a small section of society to increase their power base, and that is irresponsible and unforgiveable...but representative of the times we live in.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Don't worry - suggesting to the poster I was replying to that he seems 'a really cool, down to earth guy who knows where it's all at' was very, very much tongue in cheek, because I don't think that at all about him. He comes across as very special, I'll give him that.

As for his assertion though that if A50 is revoked we'll be able to 'watch the fireworks rip the country to pieces' and my inquiring as to what specifically might happen, as we've heard this said before by a man who goes to the pub dressed as Rupert The Bear aka Nigel Paul Farage, formerly of Dulwich College before Daddy got him a job in The City, I stand by what I think will happen: I'm thinking it'll just be a couple of thousand people - Free Stephen Yaxley-Lennon protest numbers, who'll probably be there too raging if his probation terms allow it - made of knuckle draggers, oddballs, ex-football hooligans (daytime TV and banning orders permitting if the demo is too close to a ground) greasy haired women from Essex and Regal cigarette smokers from Barnsley who had to vote for Brexit 'cos ders tooo menee Mooslims'. The poster I was replying to wont be anywhere near these protests, or 'fireworks' as he calls them, anymore than you would or any leave voter I know personally would.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I voted remain before and I would vote remain again if there was another vote, but I don't think there should be one. All the stuff about the 2016 vote being 'advisory' is a smokesreen, people voted on the basis that the government would accede to a majority decision, and therefore that should be the case.

If another vote did take place then even if there was a swing towards remain at most it would be something like 53-47, which is not a significant mandate and would leave more people being disenfranchised than there are at present. Even so there's a fair chance that the next vote would still be to leave the EU, the margins are too tight to call.

The attitude taken by many remain supporters towards those that voted leave has contributed towards leavers doubling down in their position and if I'd voted leave I suspect I would have done the same.

Leave voters are not all racists (although all racists did vote leave), they are not all stupid. Remain voters constantly pecking at them in respect of the economic costs of Brexit is irrelevant as Leavers didn't vote for Brexit because of its impact on GDP. Equally a bit more thought from Leavers in terms of the impact that Brexit has upon Northern Ireland, supply chains and those industries that benefit from EU wide grants and funds would make sense too, as industries such as mine have been significantly hit by the vote in terms of exports and employment.

The EU is bureaucratic, costly and has systemic weaknesses that allow corruption and patronage, all valid criticisms. The economic benefits of a single market, protection of worker and consumer rights and freedom of movement for me outweigh those costs, but if something thinks the opposite their viewpoint and vote should be respected.

What has happened since the vote has been an embarrassment on both sides, culminating with the "oh aren't we so smug Bollocks to Brexit" T shirts being worn by the Lib Dems and the ignorant childishness of the Brexit party turning their backs last week.

What should be done now is politicians acting in an adult manner to negotiate a deal that will minimise the economic damage of Brexit, especially the lunacy of a no deal one. It's better to lose two fingers than a whole hand and that should be the aim. We've had a decade of low growth due to the destruction of the global economy due to the activities of bankers, accountants and lawyers, we should now do our best to negotiate a relationship with the EU that allows for trade, co-operation and peaceful coexistence.

What we are seeing instead is self serving and manipulative politicians telling whatever lies they think will most impress a small section of society to increase their power base, and that is irresponsible and unforgiveable...but representative of the times we live in.

Vote Labour

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Vote Labour

They've made it clear they don't want my vote.

A bit like the remain voters shrieking at those who vote leave, I've had too many accusations from the Momentum version of Labour that is now in charge in terms of being a Tory (I've never voted for them in my life) a Blairite etc etc and so I've doubled down myself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Are you sure you posted this exellent post under the correct account ?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
They've made it clear they don't want my vote.

A bit like the remain voters shrieking at those who vote leave, I've had too many accusations from the Momentum version of Labour that is now in charge in terms of being a Tory (I've never voted for them in my life) a Blairite etc etc and so I've doubled down myself.

The Marxists and the Trots want you, its just the pesky Stalinists.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No it didn't - you're confusing the leave campaign with the government.

No I'm not - the Government also said many times around the time of the vote, and in the year or so preceding the vote, that we will leave with a negotiated deal in place. Theresa May must've said it over 100 times, have you blocked it out of your head?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I think there was genuine scope for a compromise Brexit, however I lay the blame for it squarely at the feet of Cameron buggering off and May and her Government seemingly refusing to try and find one, instead opting to negotiate as the Conservative party rather than as the entire UK political system coming together (as should have happened), thus making it a party political issue. There would always be an entrenched few on either side but a lot more people had their positions hardened by the fringes because of the lack of a central, compromise position (e.g. Norway, which translates as "Out, but only just Out", which I maintain is still the most accurate interpretation of the result you will find). Many Leave voters claimed Norway was "a betrayal put forward by traitors which isn't Brexit", and many Remain voters claimed Norway was "ridiculous sop to the racists and morons".

Basically at the moment Britain needed to be led by grown-ups we ended up being dictated to by a bunch of children.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's somewhat splitting hairs .... she was PM - head of the government. I think it's pretty safe to say that if the PM says something, unless they highlight it as a personal view, then it is the government saying it.

Really? Did you miss cabinet members voting against her various utterings?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here