Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
TWO mornings in a row the TWO trains that get me to work on time have been cancelled. The 7:45 to Littlehampton & the 7:52 to Southampton (From Worthing).

That 07:52 from Worthing is the 07:30 Brighton to Southampton, which is on SATSA's lovely pre-cancelled list http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/conductor-sickness/
It will be cancelled every day for the foreseeable, so just imagine it never existed in the timetable.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
[tweet]740848864001921024[/tweet]

You may be stuck at a station for hours, but look at what they're bringing in to IMPROVE them. You lucky people.

Maybe they'll issue another one soon for "Improvements to your service" - I'm not going to hold my breath though.

BadSouthernRail is a more useful and accurate twitter account than the real one.

Brilliant! Loved this one:

Bad.jpg

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Shows what a sham the Souther Rail management are, sounds very disorganised getting their staff organised or vaguely motivated. They should be made culpable for the decisions made, especially going forward.

Like the buses they are running these services understaffed.

That Telegraph article is from 2001 and is about Connex South Central, which was also run by one Charles Horton. Proves that nothing has changed, or rather it got a bit better until the return of Horton with GTR whereupon things have gone back to how they were in Connex times.

I expect [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] in particular was drawing attention to the quote from Charlie at the bottom of the article:

"Charles Horton, the Operations Director, said: "Safety is our priority, and all railway equipment is designed to be fail-safe.
"This means that established and safety-validated procedures enable trains to be operated in complete safety, but obviously subject to varying degrees of disruption. Train breakdowns sometimes force us to run shorter trains rather than cancelling services.
"The coincidence of staff sickness with the summer holiday period can sometimes result in a few drivers not being available for duty, and trains are cancelled as a consequence," he added.

Horton was blaming his staff for his company's problems back in 2001 in exactly the same underhand way as he is doing today.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Pretty much last time it was this bad Charles Horton was ceo and here he is again.
Would imagine on even bigger bonus to upset as many people as possible.

Had a meet the manager yesterday, Alex foulds was attending surrounded by btp and those asking him questions were screened. Who was the police protecting him from, pissed off passengers or staff :wrong:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Broken rail at Horley and emergency track repairs ongoing at the moment. Trains are moving, but very slowly (presumably due to a backlog trying to get through the affected section).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Broken rail at Horley and emergency track repairs ongoing at the moment. Trains are moving, but very slowly (presumably due to a backlog trying to get through the affected section).

Yep. Tonight, you are royally screwed. Again.

This is an important announcement
Due to urgent repairs to the track between Earlswood Surrey and Gatwick Airport trains have to run at reduced speed.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 mins. Disruption is expected until 17:00.

Earlier safety checks have found three track defects in the Horley area as a result it has become necessary to reduce our train service whilst Network Rail staff undertake essential repair work.

A revised Gatwick Express service will operate half hourly from 12.15 between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport and from 13.00 between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria. Mainline services to and from Eastbourne and Littlehampton will call additionally at Three Bridges.

London Underground will accept valid Southern and Gatwick Express ticket holders over any reasonable route from London Victoria and London Bridge. Thameslink will accept Southern and Gatwick Express ticket holders between Brighton and London.

Metrobus route 100 will accept Southern rail tickets on routes between Redhill and Three Bridges via Earlswood,Salfords and Gatwick Airport.

You can get in contact with us via Twitter (@SouthernRailUK) and follow this incident using #Horley. If your journey with us has been delayed by 30 minutes or more, you may be entitled to compensation for a portion of your fare. Please visit www.southernrailway.com/delayrepay for details.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh FFS

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They are also now fiddling the cancellation figures to avoid fines and paying compensation, truly a rancid organisation

Southern bosses need hauling up in front of a committee of MPs, put under proper scrutiny and publicly shamed, like Mike Ashley and that chancer from BHS

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
They are also now fiddling the cancellation figures to avoid fines and paying compensation, truly a rancid organisation

Yeah, saw the tweets from the Brightonstation account. Apparently, if you declare before 2200 the day before, it's not counted and it's like the service never existed.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Problem is it's still mostly only local news reporting it and that is mainly reporting the gtr spin. (The truth is starting to come out slowly)

Needs better reporting and national coverage for the dft/government to get uncomfortable and do something about it. They are still hoping this will blow over.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

I confirm. Said my train had departed a station, when in fact it was still moving towards that station.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Tonight is a ****ing disgrace last 4 trains cancelled the latter of which we sat on for 30min before the non arrival of the assigned guard resulted in a cancellation the next one is already showing as delayed and not due for 20min

Sick and tired of the excuses I have to make at work and the time I am losing at home over this complete shambles

Personally I have lost what little sympathy I had with the whole organisation it is rotten from top to bottom

The contempt this organisation, its staff and the government show to people who rely on these services is disgraceful

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
West Coastway looks to be utterly ***ed again tonight.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, via Haywards Heath we go...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here