Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did we buy Adam Webster?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you pay £20m or whatever and he's your choice - he's going to play. Unless there is good reason Webster will play.

I don't give a **** how much a player cost, how tall, hard or fast he is.

I do like a manager who picks a team and formation best Suited to test , compete and hopefully beat the opposition. No single person is bigger than the club. At any level.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I do like a manager who picks a team and formation best Suited to test , compete and hopefully beat the opposition. No single person is bigger than the club. At any level.

I just think Potter has waited for an opportunity to play his man. Duffy is solid but he's not so comfortable with the ball at his feet. And that's what Webster offers. Webster suits the way Potter wants us to play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes....after all the bedwetting about the money waste over Big Jurgs and Ali J....fact of life is when you are in the PL, spending 20 million does not mean the man has to play every game.

We laugh at Plucky, but regardless of their tiny shed-like stadium, they pick their team and play their games like they know they belong here. Crikey, they just binned off a minger who has now been picked for England, and they are not at all bovvered. Time we realised the same applies to us. Obviously there is no need to go all 'we are an established PL side' like the Palarse numpties did during their second season in the division, FFS, but...we really need to shed our Imposter Syndrome.....???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just think Potter has waited for an opportunity to play his man. Duffy is solid but he's not so comfortable with the ball at his feet. And that's what Webster offers. Webster suits the way Potter wants us to play.

You're right, but Duffer will be eased out only if he turns up groggy again, as he has done (IMO) a couple of times, including vs Stains. Otherwise it will be horses for courses, albeit the Webster horse perhaps appearing shod and saddled more often than others....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes....after all the bedwetting about the money waste over Big Jurgs and Ali J....fact of life is when you are in the PL, spending 20 million does not mean the man has to play every game.

If there was a position we didn't need to add a player it was centre back. Dunk, Duffy, Balogan, Clarke, White. But we spent £20m. Under CH it was always uncertain whether the players were "his". GP brought in a recruitment guy with him, I think Webster was his man. And the Albion paid £20m for a defender ?

He'll play.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

We laugh at Plucky, but regardless of their tiny shed-like stadium, they pick their team and play their games like they know they belong here. Crikey, they just binned off a minger who has now been picked for England, and they are not at all bovvered. Time we realised the same applies to us. Obviously there is no need to go all 'we are an established PL side' like the Palarse numpties did during their second season in the division, FFS, but...we really need to shed our Imposter Syndrome.....???

I've no idea WTF you're on about, but picking the right players from a squad, for any one game is the same from Youth up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've no idea WTF you're on about, but picking the right players from a squad, for any one game is the same from Youth up.

I thought I was agreeing with you :shrug:

:lolol:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
i dont think Webster is as good at scoring for us as Duffy is. And yet to prove if he is as good as Duffy in blocking, tackling and heading the ball away. But today i think he showed how much quicker he is at thinking with the ball at his feet and keeping possession. Also showed ability at running out with the ball when Laporte saw this danger he had to act on it and injured himself in process. I know the scoreline 4.0 dont look amazing but it was City and i dont recall any of these goals coming from our passing around at the back. We actually look comfy doing so. I have never felt comfy when Duffy has the ball at his feet like that. Am not slagging Duffy at all. Far from it, i actually rate him highly.
Something that did grate a bit today was fans slagging our own players. Seen this far too much online and once again today at the game. Guy next to me, 'FFS Solly dont ever shoot again ya shit and always sky it'. Followed by 'FFS Solly shoot, ya shit *******'! We need to get behind all our players. I though Solly looked quite good today. All the lads played well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To me Webster looked far better suited to the Potter style of play

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
It was city
They rarely score from lump it in the box and head it in so why play a blocker / head everything lump?
We needed nimble foot quick thinking today - that sure hell aint Shane
Baptism of fire at city but he really did do well.

Shane got to play against 1979 style hoofball Burnley
Then back to Webster.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was city
They rarely score from lump it in the box and head it in so why play a blocker / head everything lump?
We needed nimble foot quick thinking today - that sure hell aint Shane
Baptism of fire at city but he really did do well.

Shane got to play against 1979 style hoofball Burnley
Then back to Webster.

Spot on. Duffy was great against Watford when they seemed intent on hoofing long balls to Deeney. City were never going to do that. Horses for courses.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that there will be many games when Duffy's more robust style would be best suited, like Burnley.so who do you drop?

I think it may be more rotation than dropping depending on who we are playing in quite a few positions. Second guessing Potter team selections is already proving hard after just four games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here