Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hmmmm....You absolutely do not have to be a top player (or even a player) to be a good pundit. Half the bokes we hear droning on come out with utter bollocks on a regular basis. I give you:

"But it wasn't a pen" (yes it was; ref blew his whistle, spot kick, goal scored, are you blind?)
"Yes he did make contact, but he got the ball" (we all know the ****ing rules so why don't you, you're being paid for this shite)
"I don't care what the rules say that should never have been given" (well, **** off then)
"He should have went down and then it would have been a pen" (apart from the shit grammar, you are advocating cheating - this is a job for VAR. Now go away)
"Nobody knowns how VAR will work" (Yes they do, you lazy cretin).

In contrast to this we have the likes of Gabriel Marcotti, who is absolutely bang on. But he isn't a pundit. He's a trained journalist, trained to know what he's talking about.

So you don't have to be an ex top pro to be a pundit. No more do you have to be an ex top pro to be a good manager. Or a bloke, clearly.

Personally the women pundits (and commentators and interviewers) are no different than the blokes, although on average they are better (probably due to greater scrutiny). The woman (can't remember her name but she's a very personable British person of Asian (Pakistani? descent)) who was interviewing players post mtch about a week ago on some channel was really excellent.

No place for anyone other than an ex top pro male in football punditry? Utter bollocks. Sorry.

Why say sorry? Welcome to your view. My view obviously differs and I still stand by what I say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why say sorry? Welcome to your view. My view obviously differs and I still stand by what I say.

My view isn't a 'view'. It is a reasoned position backed up by facts. Which of these facts is incorrect? Remember you need to show that all and only ex pro males make good pundits, and nobody else (of any background or gender) :shrug: Your view is untenable, and in retrospect this may be a bit embarrassing, hence my apology.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My view isn't a 'view'. It is a reasoned position backed up by facts. Which of these facts is incorrect? Remember you need to show that all and only ex pro males make good pundits, and nobody else (of any background or gender) :shrug: Your view is untenable, and in retrospect this may be a bit embarrassing, hence my apology.

Because I find the woman on Sky irritating and about as knowledgeable as Ron the manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this a thread about MOTD or is it just a bunch of blinkered, reactionary old men moaning about women in general infiltrating their domain? Why not go all the way and admit (some of you) that you’d rather not allow women at the games at all? I’m fairly sure there’s a number of you out there who think that way. For what it’s worth, I go to the games, screech at the players, spout ill-informed nonsense, and probably get on everyone’s (including my own) nerves at times. But, strangely, I’ve never felt out of place..

Indeed. Some flabberghasting comments on here. One dodgy female pundit is enough to justify the argument that it is somehow an affront to the order of things to have any women pundits, while two blind eyes are turned towards all the crap male pundits. And this viewpoint is justified on the grounds of entitlement ('I'm entitled to my view'). Broflake armageddon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why can’t you say her name ? It’s Alex Scott. You’re clearly familiar with her football career and media appearances (on BBC and Sky)

Alex Scott is perfectly decent. The way she has been treated by some of her male 'colleagues' has been embarrassing.

The thing I object to, though, is she's mixed race. We have far too many of them on the telly and its getting right out of control. What I want is proper working class white men with sideburns and crap haircuts. It's a man's game, and we don't want poofs, women and darkies all over the place. And if I see any more of those punk rockers I'm going to put my boot right threw my telly.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Alex Scott is perfectly decent. The way she has been treated by some of her male 'colleagues' has been embarrassing.

The thing I object to, though, is she's mixed race. We have far too many of them on the telly and its getting right out of control. What I want is proper working class white men with sideburns and crap haircuts. It's a man's game, and we don't want poofs, women and darkies all over the place. And if I see any more of those punk rockers I'm going to put my boot right threw my telly.

I did wonder when someone would get around to suggesting I may be racist or sexist, I guess it's inevitable if you have a view that doesn't fit in with the 'norm'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Is this a thread about MOTD or is it just a bunch of blinkered, reactionary old men moaning about women in general infiltrating their domain? Why not go all the way and admit (some of you) that you’d rather not allow women at the games at all? I’m fairly sure there’s a number of you out there who think that way. For what it’s worth, I go to the games, screech at the players, spout ill-informed nonsense, and probably get on everyone’s (including my own) nerves at times. But, strangely, I’ve never felt out of place..

I think the point is whether they know what they talk about. Personally I like Alex Scott. Hate the female commentators though, all of them. It’s not because they are women, it’s because the pitch of their voice is too high for commentating. It’s just irritating.

Totally agree with comments about Paul Ince. Arrogant and ignorant man.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Quick quick. Someone call a policeman. Call a steward..... Anyone. Dial the hot line. Where are the mods??

No place for sarcasm on here!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Women Commentators & Pundits.
Wolves on MOTD was unbearable. Had to turn the volume down. But it's deeper than just sport, it's the BBC being politically correct. I didn't see the Netball recently (was it on BBC) but would be interested if they had some male TOWIE face on just for equality!
Some of the ex England and WPL players do know the game and are good, but don't put up someone just because she is female.

Just because she's female.

We have one ex pro female pundit (Alex Scott) don't we? One too many for you?

Yes, I am sure she was identified to be on the programme because she is female. She was then selected becuase she showed she was capable.

These are the same rules that apply to the blokes.

Fifteen years ago or so I made some negative comments about women's football on NSC and got hammered for it. I basically said a game (England) was crap and that women's football, therefore, is crap. What I should have said was it is different, quite a bit slower, and not of the same standard as premier league men's football. But that would have been a neutral rather than pejorative statement (and also a statement of the bleeding obvious). Instead I took the lazy broflake option....

So let me rephrase the comments about female pundits for those who would prefer to not slip into broflakery. Some pundits are female. Being women, they can sometimes sound shrill or strident to the naive male ear when defy expectations and speak confidently about things. Also, if you regard football as a man's game then it can seem a bit off-putting seing a woman discussing it. Hearing a woman talking about foiotball as if she has been a player can sound even more weird. Don't worry. In time, you'll get over it :shrug:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Alex Scott is brilliant, knows what she's talking about. As said previously, some male pundits are awful as well e.g. Merson, Ince, Sutton etc. Being female makes no difference. Unbelievably sexist views on here, its 2019 ffs.

I am also of the view that women shouldn't be given the punditry/commentary jobs because they're women but because they are good at the job.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
A number of different angles to this debate. It's interesting that while some voices seem particularly unsuited to sports commentary, others are pleasantly sonorous, and authoritative.

It's not simply a gender issue. Some male commentators have me reaching straight for the off button. Step forward John Murray on 5 Live; bearable at normal speed, but once the ball's crossed the halfway line he becomes an incomprehensible cartoon Geordie discovering a stranger in bed with his wife. In complete contrast, there's Roddy Forsyth, a class act.

At a more local level, I could never listen beyond a nanosecond to that bloke, John Barnett, who BBC Sussex had covering Crawley Town. Any moment of "excitement" from the Reds had him gibbering like some starstruck fan, his peculiar, strangled nasal pitch rising as he fought with a mass of mangled words.

It's far too simplistic to rubbish all women commentators, or pundits. While I agree about the unsuitability of shriekers, I reckon Gabby Logan does an excellent job, and her top-level footballing parentage makes her well-qualified to comment on the game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did wonder when someone would get around to suggesting I may be racist or sexist, I guess it's inevitable if you have a view that doesn't fit in with the 'norm'.

Don't be silly. I was just generally taking this piss. I think you have rushed to inference. I don't imagine for a moment you see any virtue or justification for racism of sexism.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just because she's female.

We have one ex pro female pundit (Alex Scott) don't we? One too many for you?

Yes, I am sure she was identified to be on the programme because she is female. She was then selected becuase she showed she was capable.

These are the same rules that apply to the blokes.

Fifteen years ago or so I made some negative comments about women's football on NSC and got hammered for it. I basically said a game (England) was crap and that women's football, therefore, is crap. What I should have said was it is different, quite a bit slower, and not of the same standard as premier league men's football. But that would have been a neutral rather than pejorative statement (and also a statement of the bleeding obvious). Instead I took the lazy broflake option....

So let me rephrase the comments about female pundits for those who would prefer to not slip into broflakery. Some pundits are female. Being women, they can sometimes sound shrill or strident to the naive male ear when defy expectations and speak confidently about things. Also, if you regard football as a man's game then it can seem a bit off-putting seing a woman discussing it. Hearing a woman talking about foiotball as if she has been a player can sound even more weird. Don't worry. In time, you'll get over it :shrug:

What the hell is a 'broflake'?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Which then means you are not treating her equally.

Which was the previous poster's point. If you treat her 'equally' you'll get called all kinds of shit...

Beyond the shiny veneer of equality lays many issues. It's not always that simple when you've got a thousand snowflakes waiting to form a little avalanche.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Alex Scott is brilliant, knows what she's talking about. As said previously, some male pundits are awful as well e.g. Merson, Ince, Sutton etc. Being female makes no difference. Unbelievably sexist views on here, its 2019 ffs.

I am also of the view that women shouldn't be given the punditry/commentary jobs because they're women but because they are good at the job.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ageing white male here prepared to be dismissed as a sexist dinosaur.

Alex Scott is okay on football basics that are common to the men's and women's game - although I wonder if she'd be on quite so much if she was less, er, telegenic - and some male pundits are utterly useless. Agreed.

But if I want pundits and analysts at all, then I want pundits who have played the game at the level that is being broadcast, who have been there and can give insight into what the players are experiencing and what their motivations might be. I wouldn't be as interested in hearing a League Two defender's opinions on Manchester United v Liverpool as I am Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville. When watching international football. I'm interested in their opinions and those of, say, Slaven Bilic, who has played and coached in international football. I'm less interested in what Alex Scott has to say because she has played a slower, less physical version of the same sport.

By all means have her on panels, but let's just be honest as to why she's there - to give credibility to women's football and so that the TV companies can point to her presence as giving gender balance. Just as having Trevor Sinclair analysing women's World Cup games was an attempt to make their coverage appear more serious because it had a proper ex-Premier League player there. Which I found unnecessary and patronising because I thought the games were quite entertaining and absorbing enough on their own merits.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ageing white male here prepared to be dismissed as a sexist dinosaur.

Alex Scott is okay on football basics that are common to the men's and women's game - although I wonder if she'd be on quite so much if she was less, er, telegenic - and some male pundits are utterly useless. Agreed.

But if I want pundits and analysts at all, then I want pundits who have played the game at the level that is being broadcast, who have been there and can give insight into what the players are experiencing and what their motivations might be. I wouldn't be as interested in hearing a League Two defender's opinions on Manchester United v Liverpool as I am Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville. When watching international football. I'm interested in their opinions and those of, say, Slaven Bilic, who has played and coached in international football. I'm less interested in what Alex Scott has to say because she has played a slower, less physical version of the same sport.

By all means have her on panels, but let's just be honest as to why she's there - to give credibility to women's football and so that the TV companies can point to her presence as giving gender balance. Just as having Trevor Sinclair analysing women's World Cup games was an attempt to make their coverage appear more serious because it had a proper ex-Premier League player there. Which I found unnecessary and patronising because I thought the games were quite entertaining and absorbing enough on their own merits.

Much better than I could have explained it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here