Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The complication for this, of course, is that since then there has been a General Election, and no Parliament can bind it's successors.

Irrelevant nonsense, there is no complication because there has been a general election.Both main parties in that election promised to respect the result of the referendum anyway .
No parliament binding its successors doesnt mean what you think it means, it simply means no parliament can pass a law that cannot be changed or reversed by a future Parliament. And as it stands no law has been passed that cannot be changed or reversed by a future parliament.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wonder if we'll all be watching Panorama tonight (BBC 1 8.30) to see the sunny uplands of a no-deal Brexit analysed? I should imagine our Leave posters can hardly wait to see the goodies that will be in store for us all. Christmas could be early this year!*

*I'm sure the BBC will present a balanced programme; a range of experts and informed commentators de-constructing the disasters which await, counter-balanced by a few half-pissed blokes in a pub in Stoke-on-Trent who think that the WTO is the World Tit Ogling association and a Tory goon telling us that there might be 'a little bit of choppy water ' ahead before getting on his phone to tell his broker to switch his assets to mainland Europe. (Of course the actual line-up will depend upon which barrel the programme's producer can scrape to find anyone who can articulate what a great scenario no-deal will be).

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
What that joke of an agreement?

the agreement would have honoured the referendum result however much of a joke it was- we would have left the EU. The likes of ERG and Farage were very vocal in their opposition of it (and of course in the case of ERG voted against it), and therefore they were opposing the "will of the people" that they like to bleat on about

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The complication for this, of course, is that since then there has been a General Election, and no Parliament can bind it's successors.

Quite.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed but the commons voted for the triggering of A50 so it backed the governments statement that the result of the referendum would be enacted. There was no such agreement across the commons that the indicative votes would be binding - more like guidance.

As an aside. Parliament voted to trigger a50 which also includes the provision to unilaterally revoke it, if the state sees fit to do so. Parliament voted for this and it is binding. I hope [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] doesn’t grumble should this happen....after all he supported the vote for this option. :smile:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I wonder if we'll all be watching Panorama tonight (BBC 1 8.30) to see the sunny uplands of a no-deal Brexit analysed? I should imagine our Leave posters can hardly wait to see the goodies that will be in store for us all. Christmas could be early this year!*

*I'm sure the BBC will present a balanced programme; a range of experts and informed commentators de-constructing the disasters which await, counter-balanced by a few half-pissed blokes in a pub in Stoke-on-Trent who think that the WTO is the World Tit Ogling association and a Tory goon telling us that there might be 'a little bit of choppy water ' ahead before getting on his phone to tell his broker to switch his assets to mainland Europe. (Of course the actual line-up will depend upon which barrel the programme's producer can scrape to find anyone who can articulate what a great scenario no-deal will be).

You can be sure that the BBC will be accused of being a leftwing front organisation by tomorrow morning. By Thursday morning, after its Labour Party probe, it will be accused of being a rightwing one. (Indeed, it already has been.)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As an aside. Parliament voted to trigger a50 which also includes the provision to unilaterally revoke it, if the state sees fit to do so. Parliament voted for this and it is binding. I hope [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] doesn’t grumble should this happen....after all he supported the vote for this option. :smile:

Labour and the Tories supported the triggering of A50 - I don't believe parliament would dare to revoke it. Remainers might hope for it but that's just them wishing for dragons to go alongside us leavers unicorns.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Incredible that anyone would follow Alexander Johnson off a ****ing bridge with the likes of Bannon, Farage, Banks and Wigmore in the wings. Utterly incredible. None of those people care about anyone but themselves but Leave means Leave eh? ****ing absurd.

Just look how this ambassador stuff is playing out. Textbook examples of how this has all been designed. All Bannon.

Jan 30, 2008
Who said 37 pounds a week? :facepalm:

I only pay 34 pounds (my pound sign on my keyboard has stopped working for some reason) a month income tax.

It is 37 pounds a YEAR. I worked it out based on my income from two pensions, one private and one state pension. Not even one pound a week.

Yes my mistake, even so £37 to much , have you been down to speak to the Bickerstafs ?
Regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Incredible that anyone would follow Alexander Johnson off a ****ing bridge with the likes of Bannon, Farage, Banks and Wigmore in the wings. Utterly incredible. None of those people care about anyone but themselves but Leave means Leave eh? ****ing absurd.

Just look how this ambassador stuff is playing out. Textbook examples of how this has all been designed. All Bannon.

What is it about the word LEAVE you don't understand ?
Regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
pasta - help me out with this one. Nigel Farage - the man of the people who goes to the pub dressed as Rupert The Bear - used to say something like there'd be this 'uprising the like of which this country has never seen before' if whatever it is he wants wasn't delivered because it's a 'betrayal' but like most things with Brexit the actual details were sketchy to say the least.

I'm thinking a couple of thousand people - Free Stephen Yaxley-Lennon protest numbers, who'll probably be there too raging if his probation terms allow it - made of knuckle draggers, oddballs, ex-football hooligans (daytime TV and banning orders permitting if the demo is too close to a ground) greasy haired woman from Essex and Regal cigarette smokers from Barnsley who had to vote for Brexit 'cos ders tooo menee Mooslims'.

Have you got anything a bit more specific though, because you do seem like a really cool, down to earth guy who knows where it's all at?

You really are bitter and twisted , get over yourself we're leaving the EU
Regards
DR

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1148197866315419649[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Labour and the Tories supported the triggering of A50 - I don't believe parliament would dare to revoke it. Remainers might hope for it but that's just them wishing for dragons to go alongside us leavers unicorns.

I don't believe Parliament will revoke it unilaterally (or through forcing the Government to do it unilaterally) either (although I am not ruling it out completely if push comes to shove in the last week or so before 31st October without an extension in the offing). I believe it is far more likely that if revocation happens it will do so after another referendum, which I think is the increasingly likely outcome at this time.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What is it about the word LEAVE you don't understand ?
Regards
DR

Have you ever considered you might be wrong?

I have, I have thought may be Leaving won't be so bad. I'm come to the conclusion that it will be but I really get the feeling that Leavers have not ONCE thought that maybe they are wrong and that this is a huge **** up led by some extremely shady people attempting to destroy institutions that stop them carrying out their and their mates' bidding.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Theresa May said it, not the whole government.

That's somewhat splitting hairs .... she was PM - head of the government. I think it's pretty safe to say that if the PM says something, unless they highlight it as a personal view, then it is the government saying it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes. It looks like a horse with an ice cream cone stuck on it's head.

So long as he queued up.

rockford-new-forest-hampshire-uk-23rd-aug-2017-uk-weather-warm-day-K0TT7G.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's somewhat splitting hairs .... she was PM - head of the government. I think it's pretty safe to say that if the PM says something, unless they highlight it as a personal view, then it is the government saying it.

She said it when she was fairly confident her deal would get through. It didn't although she tried three times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here