Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris hughton news conference

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don’t know about Chris, but tomorrow night I’ll certainly be looking for us to stop Tottenham getting into good areas, what with the quality they have got.

Too right. These are a good side.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I get where your coming from..... mathematically it is in our own hands, but realistically it's not really.

It will depend very much on what Cardiff do or don't do. If they win 3 we will be down, 2 and a draw, also likely.
Indeed, although I'd add that 2 wins and a loss would also see us go down (ie, 6 points, meaning we need 3). I can't see us getting 2 draws from our games against the top 4 sides, so our only hope of 3 points is to beat Newcastle. Odds on that, are currently 6/5 with the bookies - so unlikely.

The good news, is that Cardiff are 7-4 to beat Fulham.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Back in December when we were 12th and hovering with the mid table lot we had no worries. Our downfall has been monumental. I remember us talking about our highest ever finish. We are now worse than we were a season ago. If the happy clappers fail to see that this is down to the manager, what is the reason for it? I'd love to know.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Did we? I didn't watch it (doctor's orders), but seeing the highlights and looking at the stats gave the impression it wasn't comfortable.

Yes they had all that possession so the highlights would always be one sided, the game was! I didn't give us a hope before the game but by half time I couldn't really see them scoring. In the second half they got closer but a couple of decent saves (which is what you expect from Ryan) was really all that was needed.

The positive was that we did what we do best. The negative (for me) is that we seem incapable of doing much else

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes they had all that possession so the highlights would always be one sided, the game was! I didn't give us a hope before the game but by half time I couldn't really see them scoring. In the second half they got closer but a couple of decent saves (which is what you expect from Ryan) was really all that was needed.
Cheers. Reassuring.
The positive was that we did what we do best. The negative (for me) is that we seem incapable of doing much else
Well that wasn't the day to be doing something else. We had some good performances earlier in the season, and did more than just defend. I'm optimistic that the problems can be fixed over the summer, if we're able to stay in the division.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Back in December when we were 12th and hovering with the mid table lot we had no worries. Our downfall has been monumental. I remember us talking about our highest ever finish. We are now worse than we were a season ago. If the happy clappers fail to see that this is down to the manager, what is the reason for it? I'd love to know.

and yet you're now p*ssed off that he's finally gone back to the basics that had us not worried?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Strange isn't it, ask the happy clappers why we have capitulated and they have no reason.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
We want more attacking football, we’re too defensive.

We play more attacking and lose - we want a new manager!

Go back to defensive and build again in the summer.

As it stands I think Chris is doing well with the team/budget we have, it’s only with investing in the squad we will improve.

The first few years was always going to be about consolidating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

As it stands I think Chris is doing well with the team/budget we have, it’s only with investing in the squad we will improve.

Happy clapper, enjoy the ride.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Happy clapper, enjoy the ride.

I am actually, be shit if we go down but it’s all part of the BHA tapestry.

Did you not think the 1st and 2nd seasons would be a struggle?

Given the whole second season effect I didn’t expect much more, you then combine that with the budget compared to others in the league and it’s really not a big surprise.

I think that whatever happens next season will be massive for Chris’s future here. Many (myself included) will expect us to start performing better having built a foundation. If he can’t/won’t do that then I think a lot will become frustrated with him and question his/the clubs ambitions.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Oct 24, 2009
Not really a reason, is it?

Mate, chill out and don’t bother getting tangled up in a debate with them. They’ll never change their opinion. I couldn’t agree more with you, and have felt the same for a long, long time. Even before promotion it has to be said.
The fact is ( I’m my opinion ) some people want to watch decent football AND support the Albion, others can’t see past the last match or current position in the table and the result is all that matters to them. The mess we’re in is totally self inflicted, well Hughton inflicted I should say.
Can’t imagine many players agreeing with his anti football tactics, coupled with the relentless pursuing of said ‘ tactics ‘ you get this situation as a result. An embarrassment to have my team playing this way, and many on here sneer at other teams oblivious to this ( Burnley for example ). Can’t work it out.
As frustrating as it, as with so many things in life, other peoples opinions are mind blowingly irritating if you don’t agree, even worse they are similarly (usually more so) entrenched in to their belief.

Anyway, there goes my fourth ever post. Ever. In all incarnations of NSC.

Just accept that you know far, far more about football than any of the Happy Clappers ����

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Strange isn't it, ask the happy clappers why we have capitulated and they have no reason.

I’m a self-confessed happy clapper. Here’s why I think we’ve capitulated.

The players thought we were safe and stopped giving it their all. The attacking players we’ve brought in have been gash and our promotion winning side have the balls to eek out points but lack the cutting edge against most other teams in this division.

If we stay up I want Hughton to have one more crack because I think his low-risk, boring brand of football is better for the club long-term than us trying to find the next Eddie Howe and potentially finishing with an all time low points total.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Mate, chill out and don’t bother getting tangled up in a debate with them. They’ll never change their opinion. I couldn’t agree more with you, and have felt the same for a long, long time. Even before promotion it has to be said.
The fact is ( I’m my opinion ) some people want to watch decent football AND support the Albion, others can’t see past the last match or current position in the table and the result is all that matters to them. The mess we’re in is totally self inflicted, well Hughton inflicted I should say.
Can’t imagine many players agreeing with his anti football tactics, coupled with the relentless pursuing of said ‘ tactics ‘ you get this situation as a result. An embarrassment to have my team playing this way, and many on here sneer at other teams oblivious to this ( Burnley for example ). Can’t work it out.
As frustrating as it, as with so many things in life, other peoples opinions are mind blowingly irritating if you don’t agree, even worse they are similarly (usually more so) entrenched in to their belief.

Anyway, there goes my fourth ever post. Ever. In all incarnations of NSC.

Just accept that you know far, far more about football than any of the Happy Clappers ����

Good fourth post.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’m a self-confessed happy clapper. Here’s why I think we’ve capitulated.

The players thought we were safe and stopped giving it their all. The attacking players we’ve brought in have been gash and our promotion winning side have the balls to eek out points but lack the cutting edge against most other teams in this division.

If we stay up I want Hughton to have one more crack because I think his low-risk, boring brand of football is better for the club long-term than us trying to find the next Eddie Howe and potentially finishing with an all time low points total.

Mind blowing post. So it is the players faults for carrying out instructions? They stop playing when they think they're safe? Honestly, have you ever kicked a football in your life? The manager should have a game plan. He instructs the players what he wants of his side. We have all worked out, even those with no footballing brain whatsoever that he sends us out to play negative anti football. What part of that do you not understand? You want Hughton to have another season? Are you a masochist? I'm a bit gobsmacked to be honest.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I don't think it's quite that simple, defensive managers tend to have a short shelf life. After 3 or 4 seasons the players get bored with incessant defensive drills and lose faith in the manager. Look at the careers of Sam Allardyce and Jose Mourinho, Both have had sucess but rarely last much longer than 3 seasons. Chris plays a similar style and it looks like our players are not responding as they once did.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think it's quite that simple, defensive managers tend to have a short shelf life. After 3 or 4 seasons the players get bored with incessant defensive drills and lose faith in the manager. Look at the careers of Sam Allardyce and Jose Mourinho, Both have had sucess but rarely last much longer than 3 seasons. Chris plays a similar style and it looks like our players are not responding as they once did.

Not one player, anywhere in the world will want to play this style week in and week out. I'm trying to find reason why it is seen as a good tactic, but I cannot find one. The worse thing we do is lose possession so cheaply. This man stands out there on a training pitch with them 5 days a week and he cannot even get them to make a simple pass. Things are wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here